“Wonderful stay.”

Hotel Ceilidh-Donia
Ranked #7 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Wonderful stay.”
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

We have nothing but nice things to say about this hotel. The couple who run it are warm and friendly (with a gorgeous dog) and gave us loads of information that we found very helpful. Nice big room which was clean and comfortable including the bathroom which was immaculate. The bar was well stocked and had a friendly atmosphere with a cozy little sitting area. The breakfast was unreal. So so tasty and theres a lot of choice and variety which was fantastic. Really enjoyed our stay and would definitely come back!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sarahstar9
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
My Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for your Lovely Review, I think one of the beautiful things of travelling is the excitement of the great unknown about your chosen destination, accommodation, and the people that you will meet, hey and that's all great but what you don't want is to get lost, so when people Book our Hotel we send them our personalised Map of Edinburgh and lots of Local Info so that they are orientated before they arrive, we feel that gives our Guests a Localised feel before the arrival date.

I am also delighted that our Room Angels are using their Wings to dust and hoover the Rooms, tee hee heee. The great British Breakfast to me is unsurpassable and if it’s freshly cooked and most importanto it is HOT then that will set you up for the day visiting my Beautiful Mistress called Edinburgh..
Edinburgh is like a friend that you have not yet met but once visited it is a Friend that you will never forget

MyKy

Maxx..

P.s A previous Guest last night reminded me that her late Husband and her Daughter loved our Wee Hotel saying of MyKy - Miss you Kiss you, so MyKy.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed 11 February 2014

really hard to find anything wrong about the hotel. it's a family-owned, boutique hotel, and everyone involved in the operation was super friendly and helpful. the rooms are very nice, very clean and the bathrooms, though small, are nicely equipped, with good water pressure and temperature. the location is good; around a 30 minute walk from the tourist attractions and a 2 minute walk from the nearest bus stop.

the best thing about this place is, however, the breakfast. i can't praise the food enough.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drsoum
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Great Review, when People tell us that they Loved our Breakfasts, well it certainly makes all the early morning starts well worth the while and I will tell Annette and Janet tomorrow about your comments, me! ? well, I just go out earlier to Shoot the Three Legged Haggis and Fish in the Loch for the Black Pudding Big Tailed Fish, honest it was this BIG, tee hee heeeeee..

Guernsey, Channel Islands
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed here for three nights in February. The Hotel is on a bus route ino the City Centre and a day pass for the excellent bus service will cost you £3.50. Annette and Maxx are very friendly and knowldegeble and gave us very detailed information when we checked in. We asked them several questions throughout our stay and they were very helpful.

The rooms are very clean (thanks to their amazing room angels), with very thoughful touches like a decent hair dryer, a sewing kit, and tea and coffee maing facilities. There toilitries in the bathroom, and space to put your own toiltries too.

Breakfast was excellent with loads of choice with tea and coffee, toast etc........

WIFI is excellent and you can use it in your room or in the bar area.

The bar area is well stocked with Beer, Cider etc and reasonably priced.

There are bars and restaurants all within walking distance, if you want to come out of the City centre.

If you are looking for that "personal" touch of a Hotel on the outskirts of the City Centre, then this is the place for you.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The stairs are a bit steep, so you may wish to bear that in mind.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Brilliant Review, to me pre-warned is definitely preferred and when Guest ask me questions about Edinburgh it lights up a Wee Boy Inside of me, I lived well outside the City Center and could only dream with my nose pressed up against the School railings of what it must be like to be Rich and live where all those Fireworks went of two or three times a year, so yes I love to answer questions on Edinburgh and Scotland (The Land of Ancient Dreams) oops there I go again, can’t help myself really..

I will tell Anne, Jill and Kate our Room Angels who work happily hard (honest they do) to keep our Rooms very clean and thanks for noticing all the little things that they and Annette do in the Rooms..

We are all h2h in this Hotel.

P.s Me, well I am Just Bob the Builder, tee heeeee
london
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The cleanest hotel I have stayed in - and very nice people. Great breakfast - eggs benedict what more can i say ? Close to town - 10 mins by bus and £7 by taxi. Great rooms WITH SPACE TO PUT A WASH BAG DOWN - other hotels please note. Videos to borrow. Nice bar and warm in cold weather too.
Also a dog to pet who doesn't bother non dog lovers.

Might try and come back for the festival.

Room Tip: All rooms good - steep stairs might mean you would want an ground floor room ?
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Fabby Review of our Wee Hotel, short but precise, concise and real nice. Aha the Eggs Benedict, so many people like this breakfast star so I just thought Hmm, I will Google it, apparently there is a dispute (as always) who came up with the Idea of it but we are sure it was in New York in 1894 app and maybe in the Famous Waldorf Astoria Hotel, I prefer to substitute the Bacon or Ham with Black Pudding, it's called Eggs Hebridean.

Our Woof woof barks hello..

Limerick
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Spent 3 lovely nights at the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia last weekend 23rd-26th of Jan. We were met with a friendly welcome and all the information we could need about the area was given to me.
Our room was lovely and cosy and the WIFI was bang on speed wise which is always nice extra.
I think the main thing that did it for us was the breakfast. There was so much choice but I had to stick with the fabulous fry each morning. It really set us up for the day.
We had a car as we wanted to travel outside of the city but we used the bus one of the days to go into the city. The stop is close by and the hotel gave us a great map to make sure we got in and out ok.
On Sunday we had hoped to climb Arthurs Seat but unfortunately weather put a stopped to that. We got some great advice without having to ask on what we should do instead. Keep up the hard work thanks again we’ll be back.

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for your Sparkling Review, the Fabulous Fry every Morning would do it for me every time but alas when you live in a Chocolate factory, well you know !, I limit myself to just the Super Sunday Fryup HHhhmmm I can’t wait till this Sunday Morn, scrummy breakie and Sunday Papers, Fabby, hhmmm I wonder if that is trending, tee heee

Really happy that the Wi-fi is working as we hoped, hhmmm I never know if it is Wi-Fi, Wifi, WiFi or Y5, ha just kidding, it does takes a lot of pressure off when it all works, glad that you found the Buses and travel times to be good..

Whitehaven, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Excellent in every area. From the pre-arrival info giving very accurate details on how to reach hotel from Waverley train station using the excellent Edinburgh bus service. Great, friendly welcome from owner & their beautiful and incredible laid back dog. Our room was excellent, large, well fitted & furnished & with the best hotel shower we have had. Breakfasts were everything you could want ( between us we tried 5 different breakfasts during our stay!). The owners were so helpful, giving us excellent tips on buses, sights to visit, places to eat etc - it made for a thoroughly enjoyable & relaxing break. Mary King Close is well worth a visit. Thank you for a fantastic break. Paul & Sandra

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Lovely Review and we were delighted that your Birthday Treat went well, you stayed five days and had five breakfast and you gave us five outa five, Fabby Dabby Doo.

I know we have said it before but Annette myself and the Staff work in the Hotel business because we really do like seeing the smiling faces of our Guests when they have a hassle free stay enjoying a great breakfast, cosy rooms, great showers, nice neighbourhood, beautiful Edinburgh and just a short ride away, and as I say lots of time to our Guests, We have no Rules but if you Break them we will let you know, ha ha ha.

Thanks also for your comments on our rooms, we are always trying to improve them and this week we have started to change the style of our room furniture after 15 years here from the everlasting Pine to a painted Pine with solid Oak tops and in March we will upgrade the décor, bathrooms, TVs and carpets in 4 rooms, hope you can come back sometime..

Hexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at Ceilidh-Donia 21/22 January. We arrived late morning after travelling up from Northumberland by train, expecting to have to wait to check in to our rooms but were told very politely by the owner that we could check in straight away.
The room was very clean and exceptionally comfortable and of a high standard. Power Shower was excellent.( Wish I could remember make and model as I would replace my home shower with this ! )
All staff were extremley pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was the most delicious breakfast I have tasted in a long time from any Hotel I have stayed in, produce used was of a very high standard.
It was in a fantastic location away from any noise but only a 2 minute walk to a main and regular bus route into the City Centre (15 mins )
I can't believe the price we paid for a 2 night stay in such a superior establishment.
Thank You for a wonderful stay and we will definitely be back in the future.

1 Thank Ray J
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Brilliant Review, aha the Power Showers, hope I am not breaking any rules by saying that they are made by Aqualisa and are called Aqualisa Thermo, they have a small electric low voltage pump inside the unit and they are certainly worth the extra costs involved, and as you found out it gives a terrific rate of water flow, downside is we have to make sure we have lots and lots of Hot Water on Tap, tee hee hee, sometimes I can’t resit a wee pun, hope to see you again..