“Nice hotel but with niggly flaws that add up and not a great night sleep”

Hotel Ceilidh-Donia
Ranked #5 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Overall this is a nice hotel run by very nice people however it was not easy to get a good nights sleep.

The Bad:
The 'double bed' was two singles pushed together and not even connected ! the door to the landing let alot of light in and there was no way to turn the light out in the hall. The dvd player inbuilt in the tv did not work. No bedside lamps only spotlights with dimmer switch which is annoying if one of you wants to stay up and let the other sleep.

no elevator if you have heavy bags

The Good:
Shower was amazing :) powerful and very hot
Cooked Breakfast very tasty and good for value included in the price of room
Owners very helpful and friendly
room always warm/hot

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alex F
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Reviewee

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts, I see you have categorized your thoughts as The Good, The Bad huh well at least you have not said I am Ugly, Ha ha ha, can’t believe that I eventually got the chance to work that into someone’s review, thanks. tee heee.

We take on board all of your Nigglets (oops another new word) but two things I would like to remind you off, you left without ever telling us any of you little Nigglets over the three days that you stayed with us and hey you also had the do not disturb sign on your door every day, our Staff will never go into a Room with that sign on the door, Sorreee, so it was kinda hard for our Staff or Annette and I to ascertain if you were happy with your room or our Hotel..
If you return I am sure that we can fix the little Nigglets for you, promise
Maxx..

P.s The DVD does actually work, hhm but then again if you had told us, och well that is another story I suppose

Write a ReviewReviews (1,040)

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stayed for a couple of nights a couple of weeks ago in a double room and would stay again for sure. If you're into swinging cats in bathrooms you're out of luck here but the shower's powerful and the soap they have makes you feel classy.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank elliott p
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Reviewee

Thanks for a Fabby review of the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, yea some of our Shower Suites are just on the Tight side but as you found out we are not Tight (Money wise) with the Soaps etc that we put in them, tee hee hee, unfortunately all Townhouse Hotels have some rooms that just cant have Large bathrooms etc but if you should return I hope you get our Largest One..

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We were a grouo of French , Irish and English rotary club members from France spending a few days in Edinburgh as part of the trip to see the six nations rugby match . Even before we arrived the hotel owner Maxx was incredible helpful, offering suggestions on our itinerary and activities , transfer to and from the airport etc. When we arrived his wife Annette took over and we were given hot toasted sandwiches and drinks at 10-00pm whilst we got settled in after a long trip from south west France. The rooms are clean and comfortable with everything you need including tea and coffee making facilities and excellent showers . The breakfast menu is one of the best I have seen , and I am well travelled. Our French colleagues enjoyed working their way through it during the 6 days we were there and still failed to exhaust the possibilities. The food is freshly cooked , and the ingrediants are high quality , and for those who did not want a cooked breakfast , there is an extensive choice of continental breakfast fare. However apart from quiet , clean , well equipped rooms and a wonderful relaxing breakfast - the factor which scores this hotel as excellent is also the welcome and personality of the owners , who go out of their way to make your stay in Edinburgh special . After a days trip out to Loch Lomond and Stirling etc - we could order a take away meal for everyone and relax in the hotel - Anette helped us ordering and then provided us with crockery and cutlery etc. On our departure at 4-30am ! - the entire group were given a goody bag with breakfast treats to eat at the airport. This is a special small hotel and I would recommend it without hesitation. The only dissapointment for us at this hotel was the quality of the rugby when we went to the match at Murrayfield - even then though the atmosphere made up for it .

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Darling10

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Wonderful Review, Annette and myself are well happy that your United Nation Rotary Club Rugby followers enjoyed Edinburgh and its wonderful ambience and I hope that you all found that during the 6 Nations Rugby Week-ends that Edinburgh has Spring in the air before if officially arrives..

Thanks for the compliments on our Breakfast offerings, when a Large Groups such as your stay with us it certainly tests Janet and Annette's cooking skills and of course we also had 25 Young French Rugby Players staying as well so if we passed that test and the Breakie was still great for you and your Friends then I feel that the Scottish Team may have Lost but the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia must have Won, tee hee heeee..

Hope to see you all again sometime..

Reviewed 3 March 2014

My partner and I were lucky enough to stay in this wonderful hotel this weekend on a brief jaunt to Edinburgh; from first setting foot in the door of Ceilidh-Donia we had had a thoroughly enjoyable stay there, and intend to go back later in the year.

After reading so many positive reviews on TripAdvisor, I was a little concerned we'd be disappointed in reality; I can say wholeheartedly that all of the positivity is well-deserved! The room we had was lovely; warm, spacious, equipped with everything you could possibly need (including a marvellous alarm clock with an iPod dock) and so clean even the chrome lightswitches were spotless and smudge-free! You can tell that there is (justifiably) great pride taken in the running of this hotel.

Previous reviewers have commented on the awesome power-showers and again, I was not disappointed, the one we had was by far the best I've experienced in a hotel and possibly the best I've ever experienced full stop! Breakfast was also just as fantastic as previous reviews have outlined, there are so many options available and it is all freshly-cooked and delicious. One particular thing that delighted me was the provision of two different types of artificial sweeteners for tea/coffee: not only is it rare for sweeteners to be available in general, but catering for fusspots like me who are anti-aspartame is even rarer! This sums up the careful attention to detail that makes Hotel Ceilidh-Donia so fantastic, it genuinely feels like every tiny detail has been thought of.

We were also lucky enough to meet the resident blonde bombshell Keilidh the dog, who greeted us as we arrived downstairs for breakfast by rolling on her back to have her tummy rubbed! We are dog-lovers and owners ourselves, but I got the impression that this lovely girl doesn't bother non-dog-loving guests as she is so placid and laid-back.

The hotel is very handy for the heart of the Old Town, being a very short (and inexpensive) bus ride away or a pleasant short stroll if you're that way inclined. We are both of unfit/round builds and we managed it in 25mins with no puffing, so it'd be a breeze for most other people!

Having had an abysmal dining experience in the city on Saturday night, I am happy to say that the warmth, comfort and overall wonderful-ness of the hotel was enough to prevent our weekend being a complete waste of time, as our brief time at the hotel made up for the dreadful meal we had in the town (a review of which I will be writing post haste to warn other travellers!!). Many thanks to Annette and Maxx (and their brilliant staff) for such an enjoyable stay - hopefully, we will be back in the near future (and I'll bring a few more dog biscuits for Keilidh!) :-) x

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lu T
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Fabulous Review of the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, my Room Angels will be well happy tomorrow when I tell them at Breakfast time (Staff all eat together in the morning) that you even noticed the Light Switches get the odd polish up, Ann has been here with the three previous Owners and with Jill they polish their way around the Hotel, sometimes it feels like a Scene from a Walt Disney Movie! ? (Ooops copyright ?), Yea you know the one, so start whistling, ha ha ha.

We never take any Review for granted and we never forget that it is you on Holiday, whilst we are not Luxurious we try to offer Value for Money and with the Girls Upstairs and Annette and Janet in the Kitchen looking after our Guests in the Morning, well I can have a Long Sleep, ha ha ha Just Kidding, Zzzzzzzzzz..

Hope I am not breaking any Trippy rules but the marvellous Showers are made by Aqualisa and have a Low Voltage Pump in them and are really fabby.
The Blonde bombshell says Woof Woof and mind the Biscuits next time..

Reviewed 27 February 2014

My partner and i just spent 3 nights at the hotel Ceilidh-Donia .
What a beautiful B&B and awesome hosts to match.
We had checked out trip adviser and decided that so many good reviews couldn't be wrong.
Our room was spacious and so very clean, had a lovely view out of our 1st floor window facing Arthur's seat
The bed was heaven, the best bed we have slept in on our travels
The breakfast every morning was amazing ( I even tried haggis and loved it)
The small touches were the best, being an Aussie the first thing I noticed at breakfast was a jar of VEGEMITE!
We felt right at home and loved our stay.
I can't recommend this place highly enough.
If in Edinburgh look know further you will not be disappointed.
Many thanks Anne and Maxx the place is a credit to you both.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angie C

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling Review of our Hotel, it certainly SMILES ME UP when previous Guest take time to write a review of our Hotel, especially as they may have stayed in a lot of other places on their travels. Without sounding like an acolyte to The Trippy (my name for Tripadvisor) in the Dark Ages before Trippy, GUESTS were like Children they could be seen but not HEARD and we Hoteliers, B and Bs and Guest House owners just dilly dallied along hoping that our product was excellent but now with Trippites (new word) such as ourselves we can ascertain more precisely what we need to offer and improve on, Initially this was a hassle but it did not take long for me personally to enjoy the Wee Banter sessions that I can now have with my previous Guests online such as your good selves.. When you think of it Trippy is the best FREE Marketing Advice you can get and with no Middle Men/Woman to reward, just you, us and Trippy...

Maxx.

P.s Do you come from a Land Down Under? tee heee, OK so I will keep the OL Vegamighty on the Menu in OL Blighty for you Mateee, Ha Ha ha tee heee..

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Max and Anne were lovely hosts and made me feel very welcome. I loved Ceilidh who carried her many toys around the place because I felt like being at home which was very much appreciated. The food was excellent and I enjoyed walking to and from the main city which was a bit of a long walk but you only have to walk along the main road. Thank you for a lovely experience!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank seyahc
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Reviewee

Thanks for a really great Review, glad to know that you felt at Home and Keilidh was a great Big Fluff ball for you, she says Bow Wow and says Put another Shrimp on the Barbie Sheila, ha ha ha..

Maxx..

P.s Sheila is from the Scottish Girls name called Shelagh..

So put another Tinny on the Barbie Bruce, Och there I go again Bruce is the name of one of our Scottish King's if not THEE Scottish King

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I only have good things to say about this hotel. Nice rooms, calm location in residential area (2 mins to bus stop), excellent breakfast cooked at order and the owners are super friendly! When we came back from town one night Maxx shared some great stories about Scottish and Swedish (!) history and a Lagavulin, many thanks!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

I
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Terrific Review, aha the North Sea has been a great Motorway for the Ships between Scotland and the Scandinavian Countries for Centuries and probable long before any one wrote our Histories down and I am sure that all the Countries that share the North Sea were the one peoples when the Sea was Dry some 13,000 years ago but Hey Ho I don't have TIME for all that now, Ha ha ha teeehee, till we meet the King called Lagavulin again together..