1,183 results
All reviews arthur's seat city centre salisbury arms quiet residential street holyrood park dalkeith road commonwealth pool minute bus ride royal mile great hosts triple room breakfast was included friendly hotel great shower hot breakfast street parking no lift
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were very happy with our 3-day stay at the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia. The residential neighborhood where it is located is easily accessible by frequent buses from the city center in about 10 minutes. It was very pleasant to come back to a quiet area after visiting Edinburgh. The rooms were spotless and very well appointed. I really liked the ceiling reading lights above the beds. Breakfast was cooked to order and delicious. The things we tried - porridge, scrambled eggs, Eggs Florentine - were all excellent.
The amenities are very modern, with excellent wifi in the rooms, but the atmosphere is cozy and homelike. We really liked seeing the cute dog in the entrance.
We received very clear directions on places to have lunch or dinner in the area.
I really appreciated a gesture which went "above and beyond". The first morning, one person of our group had stayed in the room, and at one point I tried to call from the city center. As their cell phone was off, I called the hotel and asked Annette to talk to the room, but there was no answer. She then spontaneously offered to go up to the room and knock, and brought the portable phone up, and we were able to talk. This made a huge difference, and I was very grateful!
All the staff were very friendly.
The day we once again visit Edinburgh we would love to stay again at the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia. I would surely recommend it.

2  Thank DanielaAvitabile
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling Review, location is everything most times on a holiday but like you I am not biased when I say that we have the best of both worlds here in Marchhall Crescent, with parks, golf courses, swimming pool, tennis courts, pubs and restaurants all within 5 minutes’ walk, oops and Arthur Seat our Resident Volcano, tee hee hee..

Our first duties here in the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia is our Guests happiness and wellbeing and we will always go that extra wee bity to make sure you are happy with our service, so thanks for mentioning Annette’s helpful Attitude. Homely and Cosy, hhmmm I like that description makes me want to Book in here, ha ha ha, seriously though we are not a pretentious Hotel, we like to think we do what we say on the Tin.

Maxx..
Oh My Beautiful Dog Keilidh says Hellllllooooo Woofffff...

Reviewed 1 August 2014

My sister and I have just returned from a whirlwind tour of the Scotland. Our last stop was at the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia and it was perfect. Parking right out front, walking distance to the bus to take us to downtown Edinburgh and a great selection of restaurants within walking distance and out of the touristy bustle of downtown Edinburgh. The room was clean, comfortable and perfect for our needs. Quiet at the end of busy touring days. Breakfasts had a great selection and cooked to order choices were well done. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the owner, Maxx was very super helpful when we left so we could avoid heavy traffic in Glasgow in the midst of the Commonwealth Games. Many thanks for that Maxx! Please give your sweet dog a hug from us and thank you for a lovely stay!

Room tip: Two flights of stairs to our room so if there are any issues with stair climbing ask for the 1st floor.

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Brilliant Review, delighted that you enjoyed our LOCATION and the free parking outside the Hotel and all the streets nearby, Janet says thanks for liking her Freshly Cooked Breakie, sometimes when most people come down for breakfast within 115 minutes of each other, behind the kitchen door it can be like a scene from Faulty Towers but out front we are most serene, ha ha ha, seriously thought Annette, Janet and now our Boy Wonder Michael(training) do a wonderful job under great pressure sometimes.

Thanks for saying that I was super helpful, it makes me happy that sometimes the work Annette the Staff and I do are noticed and appreciated, and it reminds me of a story my Father used to say to me, Max he would say! It is a fool who looks at the Finger when it points to the Moon..
Maxx..
P.s Not used to nice personal comments, so I think I will have a wee Dram of Fine Scottish Whisky and go and sit in my Garden, it is now 10-00pm and still bright in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed at this beautiful hotel with my girl for 9 nights. Our room was at the ground floor and it was big, quiet and comfortable. I booked in advance and one week before I decided to spend some days visiting the Highlands. Maxx and Annette were too kind and arranged the new dates while letting us keep us big suitcase with them until our return.
The kettle in our room was very convenient and we had a great choice of coffee, chocolate, teas and also bottles of water.
The breakfast was good (though it ended a bit early for our holyday standards :) )
Maxx and Annette also recommended us good places for dinner and helped us with the booking.
All things considered, it was a really great stay and we fell at home since the first day.
Highly recommendable!!!!!!

Room tip: We were in 3 different rooms during our stay and I'd recommend the ones in the ground floor and the first floor , as they were bigger and more comfortable than the one at the top floor.

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Fabby Review, delighted that all the Rooms that you stayed in were to your liking, I have said many times in previous Reviews that we are a Small Town House Hotel, built as a Family Home 130 years ago and all the Rooms are of different shapes and sizes, but we hope the service is the same, so again your comments made me well happy, thanks.
I am sorry that the Hotel's latest Breakie time at 10-00am was a bit early but we will always compensate as you found out, we are happy to make Toast and Tea/Coffee for the Sleepy Heads in the morning, ha ha ha.

Annette and myself are well happy that you felt right at Home when you were here, feeling like you are Home from Home on Holiday, well that is the best of compliments..

OOpps, Our Woof woof Ceilidh says hello to your Daughter, they were great companions when she was here..

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The hotel is situated in a pleasant residential street, and has a very peaceful atmosphere. The decor is very tasteful, and there is a quiet garden to the rear where we were able to leave our bikes. We received a friendly welcome.
Our room was not huge, but had a high ceiling which added to the feeling of space and airiness on a hot afternoon, and everything was very clean and comfortable. The shower room was modern, and they provided some nice toiletries.
Breakfast was excellent, with plenty of choice, and friendly staff.
It was quite a long walk into the centre, although Holyrood Park is close by. They did tell us that there were buses into the city just round the corner, though.
I would recommend this if you prefer a smaller hotel slightly away from the bustle of the centre of town.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ravella68

. Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Great Review, thanks for noticing our Garden, which is my pride and joy, a Pond, Burn, 3 Pyramidical Shapes to protect the Fish and a Fountain for the Birds to bathe and drink, it is also my quiet contemplative place with a Wee Dram of fine Whisky. Annette says thanks for noticing the good selection of toiletries and our modern shower suites.
Arthurs Seat and its parks are but minutes’ walk away but as you said Buses are just around the corner..

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights. Located in quiet resedential street within 2 mins of major bus route. We found room to be fairly spacious and clean. Breakfast was very good with friendly service. We found bed too soft, due for replacement mattress? We reported a fault in our bathroom on arrival. This was resolved by the owner but we felt his initial attitude to our complaint was poor and unhelpful.

WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Sometimes when people are tired on arrival even simple things can weary on them, yes you did report a leak under the sink and I said to you that I will do my best to get it fixed but as it was the week-end I told you that it would be very difficult to get a Plumber quickly, I also told you that if I could not fix it myself I would move you to another room..

Sometimes given the best will in the World things in Hotels do get broken or do not work satisfactorily, it was fixed on your return, you also had a Beautiful Room with a very Large Bed, the mattress is a memory foam and is very expensive.

I am very disappointed that given everything else in the Hotel met with your approval that this little thing spoilt you break..