“Maxximum pleasure”

Hotel Ceilidh-Donia
Ranked #6 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My wife and I had a great stay at this hotel. Maxx and Annette were both very cordial and went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable and as pleasant as possible. When we were not out and about, we loved the quiet of the neighborhood in which the hotel is located. A one minute walk to the Newington bus stop put you within about 8 minutes of city center or other city venues. Transportation is very easy from the hotel. The food offerings at the hotel are great. The breakfast had a multitude of choices from hot full meals to a continental buffet. There was lots of choices of fruit, juices, pastries, breads, yogurt, cereals, and lots of coffee and tea. The hot breakfast offerings range from a full British breakfast, eggs benedict, or porridge to warm croissants and more. The room was exceptionally clean and the bed was very comfortable. The shower was great. A variety of good restaurants for dinner were within a few minutes travel by bus or walking. They also offer a lunch and snack menu throughout the day until 7 pm. I can recommend the toasted sandwiches and cheese platter. Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate makings are in each room and they provided us with two new bottles of water each day of our stay. They maintain a large library of books, a good selection of magazines, a laptop and printer for guest use and an evening bar and TV. Don't pass up the opportunity to have a wee sit on the back porch and enjoy the little urban oasis they have created, complete with ponds, trees and shrubs, and the friendly neighborhood pigeon, magpies, and rooks. I would recommend this hotel to any couple who want to enjoy their stay and be close to whatever meets their fancy.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RichardNM
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Revieweee

Wow Wow Wee, Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling Review, you have covered so many things about our Hotel, Location, Food and serenity that this lovely neighbourhood can offer our Guests after a Day in Town that I hope other readers do not think that I wrote this Review, hee hee haa haa. Seriously Annette the Staff and I thank you for taking the time to write a very Informative Review of the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia.. Thanks also for mentioning our little Oasis in our Back Garden, I love to sit there late at night and Wee early hours of the summer nights with a little of my favourite Scotch, look up at the Stars and feel at Home, just like E.T

MyKy

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Great place to stay. We spent 9 lovely evenings and Annette, Maxx and Kaylee (woof) are great hosts. Annette was very helpful in directing us to the sites and how to manuever around town. A short walk around the corner and we were in town center in 10 to 15 minutes.
The staff are warm and welcoming. The food is excellent with a varied selection for all and the location was perfect for us. Our room on the 3rd floor was very nice with a comfortable bed. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael D
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Wonderful Review, glad that all 9 nights were to your liking, I am guessing that you are Cousin from across the Pond in America as you say that you were on the 3rd Floor, In the UK Hotels have a Ground, 1st and 2nd etc and in this Hotel we only go to the 2nd floor. Our Location comes up in many Reviews so I am well happy that you like ours and thanks for your comments on our good Breakfast selection..

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Had about a one-week stay in Edinburgh, and I couldn't recommend staying here any more. This is an outfitted Victorian-era house in a great location (within ~20mins walking distance of the city centre). The hosts were very helpful and more than happy to assist with travel plans. The room was quiet, clean and well set out. Was my favourite place to stay at during a two-month trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank bthaxor

Dear Reviweee

Many Moons of thanks an absolutely Fabulous Review, short and sweet and most complete, to be your Favourite Place to Stay on a 2 Month Holiday, well I am Truly Honestly Gobsmacked, now where is that 15 Year Old Malt Whisky that I have been saving for such a Day, I would tell you the name but I assume I can’t advertise, anyway it's a 15 Year Old Bo----e, heee hee hee..

Hiccup, Thanks

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were very happy with our 3-day stay at the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia. The residential neighborhood where it is located is easily accessible by frequent buses from the city center in about 10 minutes. It was very pleasant to come back to a quiet area after visiting Edinburgh. The rooms were spotless and very well appointed. I really liked the ceiling reading lights above the beds. Breakfast was cooked to order and delicious. The things we tried - porridge, scrambled eggs, Eggs Florentine - were all excellent.
The amenities are very modern, with excellent wifi in the rooms, but the atmosphere is cozy and homelike. We really liked seeing the cute dog in the entrance.
We received very clear directions on places to have lunch or dinner in the area.
I really appreciated a gesture which went "above and beyond". The first morning, one person of our group had stayed in the room, and at one point I tried to call from the city center. As their cell phone was off, I called the hotel and asked Annette to talk to the room, but there was no answer. She then spontaneously offered to go up to the room and knock, and brought the portable phone up, and we were able to talk. This made a huge difference, and I was very grateful!
All the staff were very friendly.
The day we once again visit Edinburgh we would love to stay again at the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia. I would surely recommend it.

2  Thank DanielaAvitabile

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling Review, location is everything most times on a holiday but like you I am not biased when I say that we have the best of both worlds here in Marchhall Crescent, with parks, golf courses, swimming pool, tennis courts, pubs and restaurants all within 5 minutes’ walk, oops and Arthur Seat our Resident Volcano, tee hee hee..

Our first duties here in the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia is our Guests happiness and wellbeing and we will always go that extra wee bity to make sure you are happy with our service, so thanks for mentioning Annette’s helpful Attitude. Homely and Cosy, hhmmm I like that description makes me want to Book in here, ha ha ha, seriously though we are not a pretentious Hotel, we like to think we do what we say on the Tin.

Maxx..
Oh My Beautiful Dog Keilidh says Hellllllooooo Woofffff...

Reviewed 1 August 2014

My sister and I have just returned from a whirlwind tour of the Scotland. Our last stop was at the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia and it was perfect. Parking right out front, walking distance to the bus to take us to downtown Edinburgh and a great selection of restaurants within walking distance and out of the touristy bustle of downtown Edinburgh. The room was clean, comfortable and perfect for our needs. Quiet at the end of busy touring days. Breakfasts had a great selection and cooked to order choices were well done. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the owner, Maxx was very super helpful when we left so we could avoid heavy traffic in Glasgow in the midst of the Commonwealth Games. Many thanks for that Maxx! Please give your sweet dog a hug from us and thank you for a lovely stay!

Room Tip: Two flights of stairs to our room so if there are any issues with stair climbing ask for the 1st flo...

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Brilliant Review, delighted that you enjoyed our LOCATION and the free parking outside the Hotel and all the streets nearby, Janet says thanks for liking her Freshly Cooked Breakie, sometimes when most people come down for breakfast within 115 minutes of each other, behind the kitchen door it can be like a scene from Faulty Towers but out front we are most serene, ha ha ha, seriously thought Annette, Janet and now our Boy Wonder Michael(training) do a wonderful job under great pressure sometimes.

Thanks for saying that I was super helpful, it makes me happy that sometimes the work Annette the Staff and I do are noticed and appreciated, and it reminds me of a story my Father used to say to me, Max he would say! It is a fool who looks at the Finger when it points to the Moon..
Maxx..
P.s Not used to nice personal comments, so I think I will have a wee Dram of Fine Scottish Whisky and go and sit in my Garden, it is now 10-00pm and still bright in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I stayed at this beautiful hotel with my girl for 9 nights. Our room was at the ground floor and it was big, quiet and comfortable. I booked in advance and one week before I decided to spend some days visiting the Highlands. Maxx and Annette were too kind and arranged the new dates while letting us keep us big suitcase with them until our return.
The kettle in our room was very convenient and we had a great choice of coffee, chocolate, teas and also bottles of water.
The breakfast was good (though it ended a bit early for our holyday standards :) )
Maxx and Annette also recommended us good places for dinner and helped us with the booking.
All things considered, it was a really great stay and we fell at home since the first day.
Highly recommendable!!!!!!

Room Tip: We were in 3 different rooms during our stay and I'd recommend the ones in the ground floor and...

Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Fabby Review, delighted that all the Rooms that you stayed in were to your liking, I have said many times in previous Reviews that we are a Small Town House Hotel, built as a Family Home 130 years ago and all the Rooms are of different shapes and sizes, but we hope the service is the same, so again your comments made me well happy, thanks.
I am sorry that the Hotel's latest Breakie time at 10-00am was a bit early but we will always compensate as you found out, we are happy to make Toast and Tea/Coffee for the Sleepy Heads in the morning, ha ha ha.

Annette and myself are well happy that you felt right at Home when you were here, feeling like you are Home from Home on Holiday, well that is the best of compliments..

OOpps, Our Woof woof Ceilidh says hello to your Daughter, they were great companions when she was here..

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The hotel is situated in a pleasant residential street, and has a very peaceful atmosphere. The decor is very tasteful, and there is a quiet garden to the rear where we were able to leave our bikes. We received a friendly welcome.
Our room was not huge, but had a high ceiling which added to the feeling of space and airiness on a hot afternoon, and everything was very clean and comfortable. The shower room was modern, and they provided some nice toiletries.
Breakfast was excellent, with plenty of choice, and friendly staff.
It was quite a long walk into the centre, although Holyrood Park is close by. They did tell us that there were buses into the city just round the corner, though.
I would recommend this if you prefer a smaller hotel slightly away from the bustle of the centre of town.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ravella68

. Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Great Review, thanks for noticing our Garden, which is my pride and joy, a Pond, Burn, 3 Pyramidical Shapes to protect the Fish and a Fountain for the Birds to bathe and drink, it is also my quiet contemplative place with a Wee Dram of fine Whisky. Annette says thanks for noticing the good selection of toiletries and our modern shower suites.
Arthurs Seat and its parks are but minutes’ walk away but as you said Buses are just around the corner..