“Very quiet and comfort sleep”

Hotel Ceilidh-Donia
Ranked #7 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“Very quiet and comfort sleep”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Very quiet area can offset the distance from City center. Bed, Sheet, Duvet are confortable, feel like being wrapped by silk. I stayed with my parents who travelled from Japan, Parents were glad to stay this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Terrific Review of The Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, there is always certainly a decision to make when travelling between Location and Cost and we are delighted that you were happy that both choices equalled Good Value for your Money, thanks.

Immensely happy that you thought our Bed Linen felt like Silk, I see that you are from Japan so that makes your comments about Silk very complimentary..

Maxx..

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Frankly, I expected a bit more for our $300 a night at the Ceilidh-Donia, particularly as we booked 8 months in advance. There’s lot to like about the place, but we found our 1st floor room (at the back and up very steep stairs) somewhat cramped. It has a King Size bed which is simply too big for the room. The same applies to the rather chunky furniture. There is no fridge, no air conditioner or ceiling fan - and the glasses are plastic! On the plus side the bathroom is modern and features a terrific shower.

Fortunately these disappointments were somewhat off-set by four factors…
1. LOCATION: Would be hard to beat. Away from the crowds but only 3 minutes walk to the bus stop, where a no 33 will have you on Princess Street in 10 minutes..
2. PARKING: Is reasonably available on the street and is free
3. AREA: Seems friendly and safe. Downside is that there are no 'handy' stores. .
4. BREAKFAST: The limited buffet and hot ‘cooked to order’ breakfast is excellent.

The staff - and particularly Annette - do provide a good level of guest support. (tips on restaurants, travel plans – even change for the bus etc). But this is to be expected in a mid-sized family run B&B type hotel, after all, this is why we choose them over the big city chains.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your Compliments and observations of the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, I am well glad that our good points outweighed our bad ones. I am not sure what you mean about the Chunky Furniture but I can tell you it is a sourced from Renewable Sources and my calculations of the exchange rate would be £155 per night, in July- September it is unfortunately the going rate and much less than some of our Competition I think.

You say that there are no Fridges, Air Conditioning or Ceiling fans, well unfortunately we do not advertise those Items in our Hotel Rooms, excellent additions to all Hotel Rooms as they may be for comfort, I am afraid that you would need to go Upmarket to a 5 Star Hotel (at asp £300 per night) to get these items in your Room. With all the World at our Fingertips these days all the Information that Travellers need is on Tripadvisor or their IPads/Phones etc.

My Room Angels say that the Glasses in the Bathrooms are indeed Plastic for safety reasons but the Glasses in the Bedroom are definitely Glass, if you know what I mean.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Can't think of a better place to stay and watch the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony !
Maxx and family's welcome was a joy to behold. Hope you make the right decision on the 18/9 - don't want to use a passport next time I visit !! Would look forward to another delicious ' British breakfast ' :-)

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with room 5.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Terrific Review of our Wee Edinburgh Hotel, makes all the hard work and long hours when Guests take time to leave a Review. I will have the Great British Breakfast waiting for you, the Gods are saying NO this time around..

The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a great stay at this hotel. Maxx and Annette were both very cordial and went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable and as pleasant as possible. When we were not out and about, we loved the quiet of the neighborhood in which the hotel is located. A one minute walk to the Newington bus stop put you within about 8 minutes of city center or other city venues. Transportation is very easy from the hotel. The food offerings at the hotel are great. The breakfast had a multitude of choices from hot full meals to a continental buffet. There was lots of choices of fruit, juices, pastries, breads, yogurt, cereals, and lots of coffee and tea. The hot breakfast offerings range from a full British breakfast, eggs benedict, or porridge to warm croissants and more. The room was exceptionally clean and the bed was very comfortable. The shower was great. A variety of good restaurants for dinner were within a few minutes travel by bus or walking. They also offer a lunch and snack menu throughout the day until 7 pm. I can recommend the toasted sandwiches and cheese platter. Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate makings are in each room and they provided us with two new bottles of water each day of our stay. They maintain a large library of books, a good selection of magazines, a laptop and printer for guest use and an evening bar and TV. Don't pass up the opportunity to have a wee sit on the back porch and enjoy the little urban oasis they have created, complete with ponds, trees and shrubs, and the friendly neighborhood pigeon, magpies, and rooks. I would recommend this hotel to any couple who want to enjoy their stay and be close to whatever meets their fancy.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RichardNM
Dear Revieweee

Wow Wow Wee, Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling Review, you have covered so many things about our Hotel, Location, Food and serenity that this lovely neighbourhood can offer our Guests after a Day in Town that I hope other readers do not think that I wrote this Review, hee hee haa haa. Seriously Annette the Staff and I thank you for taking the time to write a very Informative Review of the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia.. Thanks also for mentioning our little Oasis in our Back Garden, I love to sit there late at night and Wee early hours of the summer nights with a little of my favourite Scotch, look up at the Stars and feel at Home, just like E.T

MyKy

Cornwall on Hudson, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Great place to stay. We spent 9 lovely evenings and Annette, Maxx and Kaylee (woof) are great hosts. Annette was very helpful in directing us to the sites and how to manuever around town. A short walk around the corner and we were in town center in 10 to 15 minutes.
The staff are warm and welcoming. The food is excellent with a varied selection for all and the location was perfect for us. Our room on the 3rd floor was very nice with a comfortable bed. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael D
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Wonderful Review, glad that all 9 nights were to your liking, I am guessing that you are Cousin from across the Pond in America as you say that you were on the 3rd Floor, In the UK Hotels have a Ground, 1st and 2nd etc and in this Hotel we only go to the 2nd floor. Our Location comes up in many Reviews so I am well happy that you like ours and thanks for your comments on our good Breakfast selection..

Greater Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Had about a one-week stay in Edinburgh, and I couldn't recommend staying here any more. This is an outfitted Victorian-era house in a great location (within ~20mins walking distance of the city centre). The hosts were very helpful and more than happy to assist with travel plans. The room was quiet, clean and well set out. Was my favourite place to stay at during a two-month trip.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank bthaxor
Dear Reviweee

Many Moons of thanks an absolutely Fabulous Review, short and sweet and most complete, to be your Favourite Place to Stay on a 2 Month Holiday, well I am Truly Honestly Gobsmacked, now where is that 15 Year Old Malt Whisky that I have been saving for such a Day, I would tell you the name but I assume I can’t advertise, anyway it's a 15 Year Old Bo----e, heee hee hee..

Hiccup, Thanks

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We were very happy with our 3-day stay at the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia. The residential neighborhood where it is located is easily accessible by frequent buses from the city center in about 10 minutes. It was very pleasant to come back to a quiet area after visiting Edinburgh. The rooms were spotless and very well appointed. I really liked the ceiling reading lights above the beds. Breakfast was cooked to order and delicious. The things we tried - porridge, scrambled eggs, Eggs Florentine - were all excellent.
The amenities are very modern, with excellent wifi in the rooms, but the atmosphere is cozy and homelike. We really liked seeing the cute dog in the entrance.
We received very clear directions on places to have lunch or dinner in the area.
I really appreciated a gesture which went "above and beyond". The first morning, one person of our group had stayed in the room, and at one point I tried to call from the city center. As their cell phone was off, I called the hotel and asked Annette to talk to the room, but there was no answer. She then spontaneously offered to go up to the room and knock, and brought the portable phone up, and we were able to talk. This made a huge difference, and I was very grateful!
All the staff were very friendly.
The day we once again visit Edinburgh we would love to stay again at the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia. I would surely recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DanielaAvitabile
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling Review, location is everything most times on a holiday but like you I am not biased when I say that we have the best of both worlds here in Marchhall Crescent, with parks, golf courses, swimming pool, tennis courts, pubs and restaurants all within 5 minutes’ walk, oops and Arthur Seat our Resident Volcano, tee hee hee..

Our first duties here in the Hotel Ceilidh-Donia is our Guests happiness and wellbeing and we will always go that extra wee bity to make sure you are happy with our service, so thanks for mentioning Annette’s helpful Attitude. Homely and Cosy, hhmmm I like that description makes me want to Book in here, ha ha ha, seriously though we are not a pretentious Hotel, we like to think we do what we say on the Tin.

Maxx..
Oh My Beautiful Dog Keilidh says Hellllllooooo Woofffff...