“Perfect - Absolutely, Positively Perfect”

Hotel Ceilidh-Donia
Ranked #5 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 May 2010

It was my first time to Edinburgh! and I've always been looking forward to it because my Poppa was brought up in Leith and he always talks about Edinburgh and Scotland. I'm in my early teens and my Mum and I are traveling Europe for about 7 weeks - Edinburgh was our third stop on our travel of Europe.
I absolutely adored Hotel Ceilidh-Donia. From the moment we hopped out of the taxi I loved the unique building. Max greeted us at the door and lead us in. When we entered there were two very calm, friendly dogs. We had no problem checking in and next thing we knew Max was following us up two flights of stairs with one of our very heavy (20 something KG) bags on his shoulder. We had room 13 - my favorite number -, two single beds with a view of Arthur's Seat. The bathroom was small but had everything we needed and the same with the room. There was a television with a DVD player, a desk, chest of drawers and wardrobe. What more could you possibly need? And it had free internet.
Breakfast was delicious and felt and tasted very home-made which was lovely after spending nearly two weeks in L.A. and London where home-made food in busy hotels isn't the most available meal in the world. We also had dinner at the hotel twice - both times with dessert. The food was absolutely, positively scrumptious!
We found it a very hospitable place with a friendly, positive atmosphere. I thoroughly recommend it to all planning on a trip to Edinburgh. It has a very good location and is quiet and homely.

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank zelf
Write a ReviewReviews (1,040)

Reviewed 12 May 2010

A small, quiet, clean, warm hotel at walking distance from the city center, near Holyrod park. The owners are friendly, the rooms are clean and newly renovated (all with LAN), the breakfast is quite good, the price is honest. We "had to" stay there two extra days because of the Volcano ashes, but honestly no regrets about it!! Try it and you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Lorenzo1980
Reviewed 1 May 2010

Our room had excellent views of Arthur’s Seat, the room was absolutely spotless with crisp white sheets, which were changed daily. The bathroom was spotless with very clean towels that were also changed daily and the hotel owners even provided free hot delicious soup. Breakfast was hot and you have a choice over 8 items for a good clean full English/Scottish breakfast and the choice of cereal and toast, put it this way we were never hungry and the food was of a very high quality. The decor was warm, tastefully decorated and there was a warm, friendly feeling to the place, it was quiet and with a relaxing ambiance. Polite and very friendly staff along with very kind and helpful owners, this place has a good feeling about it and every need is catered for, all in all A1. This is the perfect place to stay and i would highly recommend it to anyone. Just a great experience.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BrentwoodKelly2010
Reviewed 10 April 2010

Stayed for two nights with my family. Very nice service and the owners are very helpful. Nice buffet breakfast with menucard. The rooms were nice and clean. We had some trouble with one toilet which didn't get fixed the days when we were visiting the hotel, but it didn't matter overall. Lots of taxies and bus oppotunities just around the coner. Very nice hotel and would stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank jackohc
Reviewed 5 April 2010

We enjoyed out stay at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia. The staff are very kind and our room was well decorated and spacious. Breakfast was wonderful. The hotel is very convenient to Edinburgh, in a nice neighborhood, with free on street parking. My only gripe, is that our room was very dusty-clumps formed on my fingers if I brushed them across the nightstand.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TwoPeasPod
Reviewed 3 April 2010

Some people have said they felt like being home when they stayed at this hotel. I would go further - it was better than home. The hotel is not luxurious/big and does not intend to be. On the other hand, it is very charming and cozy. Max, the owner, is REALLY nice and willing to help you whenever you need. So is his wife, Anette. The hotel is not far from the city center and breakfast was really good. If you are looking for a comfortable place and you don't want to spend a lot of money, I recommend this hotel. The service is excellent!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank Rodiniz
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Stayed here for two nights break Well kept hotel. Room very nice but small. Only had shower . I suppose if I had requested a bath too it would have been possible. The bed was too firm for my liking. All very clean. Housekeeping have a disconcerting habit of tidying away everything even a book on bedside table so make sure you check every drawer, even those you are sure you did not use. Unfortunately the restaurant was closed for our stay there which meant a bit of a wander to the nearest places to eat. Staff pleasantly friendly without being intrusive. I enjoyed our stay here and the only thing which would make me wary of going back would be the very firm mattress although my husband felt it was fine.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple