“It's not just the coffee”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Caffe Nero

Caffe Nero
Ranked #1,890 of 2,449 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Seating
Dining options: Seating
Belfast, United Kingdom
“It's not just the coffee”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I like coffee, I like coffee shops. Coffee shops have a special attraction for me because I like the ritual and atmosphere of relaxation, the act of taking a few minutes to indulge.
Airports are busy, people are rushing to get somewhere or killing time waiting. Airports have relatively few choices. There will be a coffee spot, a fast food, a pub, a restaurant, sandwich stand.
So I chose to have a coffee in Caffe Nero. I appreciate they stand there all day serving people they will never see again BUT do they appreciate that I chose them to serve me coffee? No!
I am told where to stand, to come to this till and place my order, asked what I want when I now cannot see the food counter as I have been ushered along to the till. I'm asked if I am sitting in or taking out, "sitting in" I say so that they can charge me more and still give me a paper cup.

The coffee was fine, the service was rubbish! there wasn't a long queue, just long faces from the counter staff. I don't expect forced bonhomie but a little pleasant engagement with customers would be a great way to get a return visit. Next time I will go to the pub for my coffee.

Sorry if all that sounds petty for an Airport Coffee stop but I really believe that these branded coffee shops should offer good customer service and it was sadly lacking on this occasion.

• Visited May 2014