“Not that bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Seating
Dining options: Seating
“Not that bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I went there twice in 3-day stay in Edinburgh. The staff was not that friendly but the expresso single was good.

Scotland
“Worst experience ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Had really bad experience with this caffe. Ordered 2 extra hot lattes and they came back luke warm. Ordered 2 toasties and we are still looking for the ham and cheese. Can't believe they cost £2.85 - rip off. Two trainee barristas were on duty - nobody to supervise them. Don't go here go opposite to EAT and get value for money.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank perthlad
“Coffee ok, service terrible.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Ok so its just another chain coffee shop. I wasnt expecting anything out of the ordinary, I just wanted a coffee, a bite to eat and maybe a friendly smile. At the very least I would like to have been able to make eye contact with my server when asked for my order. The place was not busy, no huge queue, no rush required. I just wanted a small Mocha and Ham and Cheese toastie to take away, not much really. I didn't really care about the price either. £5.40 or so, about standard really once you're airside in the UK.

I paid and then was told to go and stand round the corner and wait, I was given a little table number for my toastie and then dismissed. As I was leaving to go and stand in the naughty corner a gentleman approached the serving area and asked for some water. "Round the corner" snapped the matriarch! Looks like he too was destined for the naughty corner. He obviously didn't understand as he went to go behind the counter to the tap. Unfortunately he tripped as he did and flew forward into sink. Poor bloke got such a fright and then another as the matriarch barked "The corner, THE CORNER!!!" once again before rolling her eyes and once more taking orders over her shoulder.

I digress. There I am stood in the sin bin waiting for my mediocre excuse for a cheese and ham toastie, alone with my thoughts, wondering why the matriarch is so bitter. Her little minions scurrying around avoiding making any friendly contact with visitors lest they accidentaly smile an incur the wrath of the Magda the merciless.

15 mins pass. My coffee is almost empty. My stomach is complaining.

I eventually decide I have paid my dues for my insolence for daring to disturb Magda's day and leave the naughty corner and head back to the frontline. I grab the attention of one of the minions and enquire if my toastie is undergoing some prolonged carbonisation process as its surely black by now. A little giggle, a forced smile. The minions retrieves my wafer thin blackened toastie and hurriedly chucks it in a bag before thrusting it in my direction and scurrying off again. Magda the merciless see's all of this, looks at me, looks at the bag and then shrugs and rolls her eyes before once again throwing herself into battle on the frontline.

I wont be visiting again.

Incidentally as I walked to the gate past Costa Coffee the 4 'Baristas' all looked and smiled at me as I transited through their domain. "Poor Bugger" they must have thought.

1 Thank TomWeasel
Belfast, United Kingdom
“It's not just the coffee”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I like coffee, I like coffee shops. Coffee shops have a special attraction for me because I like the ritual and atmosphere of relaxation, the act of taking a few minutes to indulge.
Airports are busy, people are rushing to get somewhere or killing time waiting. Airports have relatively few choices. There will be a coffee spot, a fast food, a pub, a restaurant, sandwich stand.
So I chose to have a coffee in Caffe Nero. I appreciate they stand there all day serving people they will never see again BUT do they appreciate that I chose them to serve me coffee? No!
I am told where to stand, to come to this till and place my order, asked what I want when I now cannot see the food counter as I have been ushered along to the till. I'm asked if I am sitting in or taking out, "sitting in" I say so that they can charge me more and still give me a paper cup.

The coffee was fine, the service was rubbish! there wasn't a long queue, just long faces from the counter staff. I don't expect forced bonhomie but a little pleasant engagement with customers would be a great way to get a return visit. Next time I will go to the pub for my coffee.

Sorry if all that sounds petty for an Airport Coffee stop but I really believe that these branded coffee shops should offer good customer service and it was sadly lacking on this occasion.

• Visited May 2014