“Excellent service at 53 Frederick St, Edinbrugh”

53 Frederick Street
Ranked #23 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent service at 53 Frederick St, Edinbrugh”
Reviewed 19 June 2008

This charming city central bed and breakfast gets my approval instantly by the friendly warm welcome from owner David. Who, for any female tourist is quite the handsome, charming Scottish Prime you wish to be serving your porridge in the morning. My only suggestion would be he wore a kilt too!

He carried my bag to my vast room which had a grand view of Frederick Street. My en-suite bedroom was tastefully decorated and clean, with plenty of hanging storage, a decent hairdryer and available plugs for my hair straighteners and laptop.

53 Frederick Street is in a great location right by the trendy George Street which is host to fabulous shops, bars and top festival venues. I was a late checking in and David suggested a fantastic Thai restaurant - Du Sit, literally round the corner. Which was followed by a very good Cosmo cocktail just a few floors below 53 at Rick’s Bar.

I woke after a very peaceful nights sleep to a beautiful, sunny Edinburgh shining through my top floor windows; I enjoyed my power shower, complimentary toiletries and fluffy towels. Also, the room wasn’t sweltering hot as most places often are!

I opted for the continental which offered a healthy range of cereals, breads and yogurt, although the full Scottish breakfast did look rather good. Being quite the Tea Jenny, was delighted they make a fine morning brew!

All in, 53 Frederick Street is a well managed, charming B&B.
Great service, location and value for money. I will most definitely return and recommend.

• Liked — Great service and a good night sleep.
  • Disliked — Everything was perfect for my stay.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HappyScottishCamper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 29 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at No. 53 for our honeymoon in August, 2005. The location couldn't be better... easy to find, and a very short walk to the castle and old town, with close access to the gardens and shopping in the new town. Our room was beautiful and plenty spacious, with such a charming view, and the breakfast was delicious. The proprietor was friendly and even had pointers that helped us get last-minute tickets to the Military Tattoo, which was sold out! I highly recommend this bed and breakfast and definitely want to go back! If I could live there, I would!

• Liked — The location and great, comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — No complaints!
  • Stayed August 2005, travelled as a couple
Kansas City Area
Reviewed 24 April 2008

No 53 Frederick St is a great location just a couple of blocks off Princes St. We stayed 4 nights and were back for 1 night after being away to the Highlands for a few days. Rooms and bathrooms are quite nice. Only missing item we could have used was a hairdryer and as we often find; there was no electrical outlet in the bathroom for anything other than a shaver.

David and Tessa were very helpful with any questions or assistance we needed. When we arrived around noon for our one day return stay, Tessa took us to a room right away even though it wasn't quite ready. That allowed us to drop off our luggage and get out for our afternoon agenda - very much appreciated her kindness.

Breakfasts were good - nice assortment of cereal, juices, yogurt and the hot breakfast if you wished.

I would absolutely recommend this B&B to anyone who can manage the few flights of stairs to reach the lobby and the rooms.

There is a wonderful vegetarian restaurant on Thistle St which runs just behind No 53, it is only a couple of blocks on Thistle to "Henderson's Bistro" - fabulous food. The bus station is also within walking distance (maybe 4 blocks) and the local buses run on Princes Street.

• Liked — Location and Friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — The stairs
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed 10 April 2008

53 Frederick is within walking distance of Waverley Station. I nearly walked right past it. There is no lift in this 200+ year old building. The room was clean and nicely decorated. The staff is friendly. We enjoyed our stay here.

• Liked — The ambiance.
  • Disliked — Bringing the suitcases up all the stairs.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Monterey
Reviewed 10 February 2008

Great B&B, Close walk to the Castle and Royal Mile. Very helpful and friendly with booking. Handled it all by email from the US. David and Tessa were very flexible and responsive when our travel dates changed on very short notice. We also needed a room to accomodate 2 adults and a teenager and it was no problem at all. Everything was as we needed it, and the room was clean and bed was comfortable and location was quiet. The nice comfortable common room was a plus. Location is just far enough off ot the Royal Mile to be out of the tourist mass and the location is very close to many, many good restaraunts and interesting pubs (try the Queens Arms, half-a-block away if you want to know more about Mary Queen of Scots). Hosts are a wealth of information on food offerings, pubs and attractions.
53Frederick St helped make Edinburgh the highlight of our entire trip.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
washington, dc
Reviewed 9 January 2008

We spent three wonderful days in Edinburgh on a pre-Christmas gift to ourselves. The beauty of the city and the friendliness of its people were perfectly matched by the 53 Frederick B&B and its proprietors. Our room and bath were spacious, modern, and clean; the common room and dining room were warm and comfortable; breakfast was plentiful and excellent. And, always, importantly, the owners and staff were extremely courteous and helpful. 53 Frederick is centrally located, within easy walking distance of the Royal Mile, with the castle almost close enough to touch, seemingly. Great pubs and some pretty good restaurants are everywhere. The price for the B&B was very reasonable, I thought. My wife and I highly recommend 53 Frederick.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mvernon
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 27 November 2007

I cannot say enough about this Bed and Breakfast. It was my first trip out of the country and me and my friends were looking for a clean place to stay for the week in Edinburgh. I looked at probably 50 different websites and found that the website for 53 Frederick Street was easy to use and showcased a lot of what they had to offer.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when we arrived at the B & B. I had spoken to Tessa via email numerous times before our arrival, asking her question after question about what to expect. When I lifted the brass knocker, the door opened and Tessa greeted me with a warm and welcoming smile. She helped my friends and me carry our bags up the stairs and she showed us around our spacious bedroom. We were allotted the bedroom downstairs (the family room). It had a queen or king bed (I'm not sure, but it was pretty large) and two single beds, plus we had our own bathroom.

We took a brief nap to ward off the jet lag (super comfortable beds) and then we met David, the proprietor of the place. He gave us a few suggestions on things we might want to do in the city. He has a table in the foyer with tons of brochures to look through and suggested some of his favorite local locations as well as different routes of transportation we might take.

The next morning we woke, excited to try our first traditional Scottish breakfast. Eleanor, who is perhaps the most wonderful cook on earth, made us a fantastic meal. The traditional meal came with an egg, cooked however we wanted it, hash browns, sausage, bacon, toast, grilled tomato, and mushrooms. There was a continental selection of cereal and juices set up as well as jars of delicious jams and jellies. Coffee or tea was suggested to warm up the chilly Scotland morning and you also had the option of trying more down home cooking like Black Pudding, beans, or even Haggis. I will say that on the first morning I tried the Black Pudding (not necessarily my cup of tea) and on the last day of my week stay I tried the Haggis (which was actually pretty good...much to my chagrin).

The week progressed nicely. Everyday we received fresh towels and Eleanor made our beds. Halfway through our week they even changed the sheets for us. Everything we needed was at our disposal. Many nights we sat in the hearth area watching the television or reading. They had a DVD collection you could choose from to watch in your room and many books to pick from if you neglected to bring one of your own. They even loaned us adapters so that our electronics would work with their outlets. We were treated as members of the family.

David listened to and joyfully answered all of my questions. He was quite knowledgeable on Scotland's history. Even the artwork around the B & B was strategically chosen to represent Edinburgh's past and development. Plus, it is located within walking distance of everything you need to see in Edinburgh. We walked everywhere. The location is definitely one of its major selling points.

Sadly, a week was not enough. I wish I could have taken Eleanor home with me. She made each morning delightful and made me feel as though I wasn't so far from home. David and Tessa were a wealth of knowledge. From the attractions they pointed out, to the restaurants they suggested, it was obvious that they knew and understood Edinburgh. The three of them made us feel at home far away from our home.

If you ever go to Edinburgh, you MUST stay at 53 Frederick Street. Take a look around the building. You will even see parts of historical Scotland in the fireplace molding. Try the Haggis. They say it's one of the best places in Scotland to try it. Sit on the comfortable couches and read a book. Chat with David or Tessa about the best possible things to do and places to see. You won't regret your stay at 53 Frederick Street. If anything, you'll find it harder to make your way home when staying there makes you feel as if you are already home.

• Liked — The proprietors - and the breakfast.
  • Disliked — The stairs we had to climb to the B & B.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends