We stayed here for 3 nights and picked it on the basis of the central location. The airport bus stops very close by, it's just off Princes Street and within easy walking distance of the Old Town, shops, restaurants and the city's excellent bus service.
The owners were very friendly and helpful. Our room didn't have an en suite but it did have a private bathroom across the landing and we were given a key so we could leave things in there and it wasn't a problem. The room was a decent size with plenty of space and the whole hotel was very clean and comfortable. Our room was at the front looking out onto Frederick Street but we weren't disturbed at all by noise.
We can only come up with 2 minor points. One is that the support for the shower head had cracked at some point and been taped up which meant that it was a bit loose and tended to slide down, but this really is a minor thing.
The other thing we weren't so impressed with was Rick's, the restaurant downstairs where we had breakfast. While the food was very good, the service was definitely on the slow side. On the Saturday morning I think we waited for something like 40 minutes after we'd ordered and we wanted to get out and see the city, not sit lingering over breakfast for ages.
One final point, this is not the hotel for you if you have trouble with stairs. To get to the front entrance of the hotel you have to climb several flights and there is no lift.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No. 53 Frederick Street, bed and breakfast in Edinburgh is perfectly situated in the very heart of the city centre, providing a magnificent yet unique spacious central home to explore Edinburgh, separated from Edinburgh Castle only by the Gardens! The Edinburgh B&B accommodation is an original Georgian townhouse situated on the second and third floors, that dates from circa 1820, and many of the original features have been carefully retained. This is an elegant and extremely spacious guest house, typified in a welcoming open hall with feature bow wall and staircase to upper floor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your 53 Frederick Street reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 53 Frederick Street Hotel Edinburgh
- 53 Frederick Street Edinburgh, Scotland