“Beautiful building, great location”

53 Frederick Street
Ranked #31 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Lovely warm welcome from David as we drew up in taxi
Room lovely proportions, comfy beds, clean
Tv not working, David came and mended it immediately
Breakfast next door at ricks bar .good first day....mixed grill
Pancakes a bit stale day 2
Highly recommend this B&B

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 October 2013

While traveling in Scotland with my father, wife, and two teenage daughters, I was considering getting two rooms at an Edinburgh hotel. I'm so glad I kept looking and found 53 Fredrick Street B&B. For less than 2 rooms at a budget hotel, we were able to get a family room that was more spacious than I was expecting. It was clean and and had some character, which I would expect and hope from a 200+ year old building. If i wanted sleek and modern, I'd stay in a modern hotel.
The breakfast at Rick's next door was great. Several of the B&B's we stayed at in Great Britain pretty much only served the standard "cooked breakfast." But Rick's had a variety of good options.
This place provided the best value and was one of our favorites stays on our trip. If I go back to Edinburgh, I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Our windows faced the street, which I liked as it allowed me to watch the world go by. My wife is a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a total of 7 nights during our trip. The New Town location was perfect and we were able to walk to everything. We stayed in 2 different rooms during our stay and they were both large and decorated nicely. This is an older building so if you're expecting the Holiday Inn Express, this isn't the place for you. We found it very charming. The room located in the front had more street noise so if you are sensitive to this, request a room in the back. The breakfast at Rick's next door offered alot of variety and was very good. There are a lot of pubs and restaurants close by. The stairs were not a problem for 2 fifty-year olds in normal shape. Edinburgh is quite hilly anyway. We will definitely stay here if we come back to Edinburgh. Tessa and David were both very nice, helpful and friendly. Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: less street noise in back
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We had a 4 night stay in this hotel and found it very comfortable and welcoming. Tessa was on reception when we arrived and offered help with the suitcase if required. There are 69 steps from the front door to the top floor rooms so the reception and lounge half way up are a welcome break for anyone who needed the rest. We found the room really nice and clean and always plenty of tea, coffee etc available with more in the lounge if you needed it. Tessa was lovely and friendly and very helpful with advice for getting around Edinburgh. The breakfast at Rick's restaurant next door was really good and the staff welcoming,friendly and very efficient. We did find the extractor fan noisy from the rooms below our window but after a while this becomes less noticable and did not spoil our stay here. We found this hotel very central and ideal for all the attractions Edinburgh has to offer and without any hesitation would stay here again and recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Woody067
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This home is a lovely Georgian flat in a residential area of new town, Edinburgh. The room was just as advertised, large and quite beautiful! I agree with Tessa on the review below it sounds as though the couple were looking for something more modern. The family have decorated their home in keeping with the building with the traditional style and antique furniture throughout.
Our room was extremely clean, no mould in the shower as mentioned in previous review and I found it to be updated and modern. The entire family are wonderful people and I would not hesitate to stay again if in Edinburgh. Breakfast was provided and there is nice authentic pub just across the street with good food for later in the day. Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Love room 5 great views of Frederick street
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BevH10
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed here as a family for 6 nights. This guest house is in a Georgian townhouse in Edinburgh's New Town and is one and a half blocks from Princes Street directly north of Edinburgh Castle so could not be better located. Restaurants, pubs, coffee shops, shopping and attractions abound in this area. Tessa and David, the hosts, are exceptionally helpful. The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. The ensuite in our room was obviously very new and the fixtures were top quality. We paid an average of about 125 GBP per night which is a bargain in that part of Edinburgh.There is a large sitting room which we used every afternoon, before we headed out for dinner, which is very comfortable and inviting and made a great place to relax with a drink at the end of a hard day of touring. Breakfast is served at Rick's, the restaurant next door at street level, and the food, the atmosphere and the staff were great at all times. The stairs are daunting (but we knew that as all the information published about 53 Frederick warns about the stairs!) but David and Tessa helped carry our bags both ways, and at the end of 6 days we were definitely more fit! The decor in the public areas (stairways, lobby) could be updated (paint, carpet), and the bathroom could do with a toilet paper holder, for example. In summary, though, the important things about accommodation - location, comfort, cleanliness, helpfulness of the management, and value - were all A1! Would definitely stay there again and would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I are in out 40s and stayed here three nights during a two week tour of Ireland and Scotland. Our objective was to spend about $150 (USD) per night on rooms, which we were hoping would would result in nice, but not luxurious, accommodations. This approach worked extremely well -- except for 53 Frederick Street.

53 Frederick Street felt like an old dorm in need of some cosmetic repairs, which would be a good option for college kids, but not for a couple our age! The sign out front is worn and almost unreadable. The furniture in the lounge looks as if it were second-hand. The walls going up the stairs are badly in need of a fresh coat of paint. The carpets are worn. The shower had mildew.
Etc., etc.

It was not so terrible that we felt we could not stay there, but it wasn't particularly nice. There were good points: The service was pleasant, and the location was quite good in New Town. We
enjoyed breakfast at Rick's next door.

I have no points of comparison in Edinburgh, but I was expecting nicer accommodations based on the previous reviews. My bottom line is that I would not recommend 53 Frederick Street. It may be that I was expecting too much for $150 per night in Edinburgh. If so, I would opt for raising my price point rather than staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2013
DT_Edin, Manager at 53 Frederick Street, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We regret that we did not cater for your needs this time unfortunately we can not please everyone in our own homely style but we do keep it to the highest standard of cleanliness.
Our Georgian Townhouse is over 230 years old and was redecorated in June of this year, so we are surprised at your comments. It sounds as though you would be more suited to something slightly more modern like a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge ;)
Regards