“Brilliant holiday experience ”

53 Frederick Street
Ranked #29 of 395 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

For valentines weekend me and my boyfriend josh norrie spent it in edinburgh and we stayed in 53 fredrick street. It is a brilliant hotel, very spotless, big spacious rooms nothing to complain about. Tessa is absolutely lovely very helpful and nice to approach if needing help. Right in the city centre so it is brilliant. Ricks bar is very lovely and such yummy breakfast. It was a great hotel to spend out valentines in. We will be returning very soon.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robyn b

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Earlier this month, accompanied by a friend from Australia we were touring the country and looked forward to our visit to Edinburgh where we were meeting our friend's relatives. This booking was made by our friend on-line which is why I missed the description of the location on 2nd and 3rd floors and no lift. However this wasn't the main issue. When we arrived and pulled up outside I stayed in the car as there was nowhere to park legally whilst my husband and friend went to check in. After some time( they had difficulty finding anyone) they told me that after mentioning that I had hip problems the room had been changed to the second, rather than the third floor and that the room was nice and spacious. They were advised that the car park was half a mile away but free parking outside overnight from 6.30 to 8,.30. This was impractical so decided to leave the car in the car park which was inconvenient at best. We went straight off to explore and have lunch. On our return to change for dinner with our friends, I was dismayed by the long flights of stone steps up a grim grey stairwell which felt more like a prison entrance than a B&B. However the main problem was that the room and bathroom in particular was so dark. The light fitting above the mirror in the bathroom was missing and a ceiling light out. There was one dim light bulb in the bedroom. No dressing table mirror where there was a table lamp. The only place I found to dry my hair was standing on one side of the room using a mirror leaning against the wall on the other. The shower door handle was missing and the screen out of its grooves. The bed valance was half way down the base and pooled at the bottom of the bed. However we had a good night's sleep on a very comfortable bed despite the noise from fans outside the window. Next morning after struggling to see to put my contact lenses in we headed off to breakfast down the interminable stone steps, outside in the rain, down the street. down more steps into a basement restaurant. Breakfast there was however excellent as was the service. It was on departure that things really started to go wrong. When we went to pay I mentioned the poor lighting to the young woman, who after reading other reviews, must be Tessa. Her instant response was "Why didn't you say something earlier, I can't do anything about it now, can I?" I was so taken aback I was speechless. Unfortunately she seemed to take my silence as some sort of victory and continued to repeat herself over and over that it was actually my fault! Eventually I said I didn't wish to discuss it any further,just wanted to make her aware that the lighting was inadequate and left the office. I heard my husband mention the single dim ceiling light bulb. Her response to that was "it's an energy saving light bulb" !!?? Oh so that's ok then!! Her parting shot was "Maybe I should have left you in the original room then" At which point I was so angry I left the building.
In all my years in the service industry, 20 in four star hotel management and 6 running our own guest house, I have never ever come across such defiant arrogance when dealing with a customer's legitimate criticism. Hospitality?Zero!

Room Tip: Don't go if you have any mobility issues
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AmblesideMaggie
DT_Edin, Owner at 53 Frederick Street, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review.
However you have given a very one sided point of view, while I am happy to take constructive criticism I disagree with many of your versions of our conversation.
As you say your friend booked the accommodation- we state that we are on the second and third floors with no lift and that as we are a city centre guest house we are unable to offer parking.
When I was informed of your hip problem I was happy to change the room and beds to better suit your requirements.
This is a family business and my brother and I live on site and if you had contacted us we would have changed the bulbs immediately, but as you only mentioned this as you checked out all I could do was apologise.
I did say that perhaps it would have been better if I had left you in the original room booked as it has many more spot lights.
You husband and friend seemed to have enjoyed their stay and I find it sad that you felt it necessary to write such a long winded negative review for one over night stay and two light bulbs.....

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I have stayed twice at No 53 Frederick Street and both times have found it cosy, friendly and very accommodating. It can be a bit noisy in the front bedroom but that's to be expected in the middle of the city at the weekend. The second time I stayed with two friends in a large bedroom at the back and our only issue was with the next door building's 24 hour heating system!
It's a great arrangement where you go to Rick's next door for breakfast and the dinners there are brilliant too.
By the end of a weekend you're fitter than when you arrived because of the 40 plus stairs - that might be the only disadvatage for some people. I've had very good rates at the times I've stayed but unfortunately couldn't afford the usual mid and high season rates so will have to wait till autumn or winter to go back!
The owners are great and very helpful and I look forward to seeing them again.

Room Tip: Possibly rooms at the back would be best if you're there for the weekend
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Fantastic B & B - absolutely spotless, Tessa & David always welcoming and very friendly, brilliant location and great breakfast served next door. What more could you want?! We are booked in again in August for the festival. That will be three years running. I don't think you could get a better recommendation than that!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
DT_Edin, Manager at 53 Frederick Street, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you ladies look forward to having here in August
Tessa

Reviewed 10 January 2014

We have stayed in Frederick 53 several times my family and my daughter with her friends , location is perfect and Tessa, David and all the staff are always very helpfull and willing to help with what ever you need , rooms are always impecably clean and comfortable and you could not wish for a better location.
Breakfast served in the restaurant next door is pretty good and service is also good.

We have already booked for a 5 night stay in June.

Nuria and Roland Gillis

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for your kind words about our home we look forward to having you back soon
Tessa

Reviewed 10 January 2014

I have stayed at 53 Frederick Street a number of times over the past few years and always enjoy my visits - it's comfortable, clean, and the rooms are nicely furnished and well-equipped. The location is perfect. Best of all is that the staff are so friendly and helpful. Recently I stayed there over the Christmas holiday, while visiting family in Edinburgh. On Christmas Day and Boxing Day, when Rick's (where breakfast is usually served) was closed, David and Tessa provided a splendid breakfast of juices, cold meats, cheese, pastries, etc. (and Buck's Fizz on Christmas Day) in the sitting room, which was very festive with a Christmas tree and decorations. The number of stairs might be a problem for elderly people, but help is available to carry suitcases.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My family and I stayed here the first weekend in December as a pre Christmas treat. I chose the accommodation as it was one of very few places that provided a four bedded room that we could all stay in, plus it was a perfect location only a couple of minutes walk to Princes Street.
After a very warm welcome we were shown to our lovely large room at the rear of the building( noise was minimal) very spacious,clean and well equipped(DVD player,large tv,tea / coffee making facilities,iron,hairdryer) two proper single beds and a huge king size with..best of all..a memory foam mattress,a massive bonus for me as I suffer with back problems. The rooms are located up 3 flights of stairs and there are no lifts which could be a drawback for some.
Breakfast was taken in Ricks next door which unfortunately, for me,was disappointing.Whilst the full Scottish breakfast was lacking,the poached eggs were overcooked and rubbery...our only disappointment though. Would definitely stay at 53 Frederick Street again.

Room Tip: Our family room was located at the back of the building but Thistle street ran alongside us,but stil...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family