“Great B&B in the heart of the city - unbelievable value!”

53 Frederick Street
Ranked #21 of 389 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
“Great B&B in the heart of the city - unbelievable value!”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The service from start to finish was impeccable.

I booked this B&B pretty last minute as I had problems with the hotel I had booked. Tessa made the booking simple and emails/phonecalls were informal and friendly.

The B&B wasn't far from the bus station and a 2 minutes walk from Rose Street.

The room was spotless, everything looked fresh and the bathroom was lovely and new.

Tessa was very friendly and helpful too.

The breakfast at Rick's (next door) in the morning, was brilliant. Great choice and brilliant service.

All in all a fantastic stay with great service.

The only thing I would say is there was quite a draft coming in the windows and my sister (whose bed was at the window as the sofa had been removed and a bed put in to make room for the 4 of us) was quite cold during the night. It was a bit nippy but to be fair there were extra covers and we never said anything therefore not giving them a chance to turn heating up etc.

The shower water also went a bit cold after two showers - again we said nothing so we can't complain.

These were minor and didn't take away the enjoyment of the stay.

Would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Stratford-upon-Avon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

had a fabulous weekend here in February 2014, ok so the stairs are a bit of a workout but not too much of a problem. fantastic position in the city. less than fantastic breakfast at Ricks (new chef) but all in all very pleasant stay. room comfortable even padding across the landing to the bathroom wasn't too much of a chore

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kate M
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I have stayed in this hotel several times now and am booked to go several more as I am often in Edinburgh. I used to vary the hotels that I stayed in but now that I've found this one I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

For those that now Edinburgh it is just 10 seconds away from George Street and 2 minutes from Princes Street. For those that don't then it is brilliantly placed within the New Town and everything you could want is right on your doorstep.

The rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. The breakfast is served downstairs in a separate restaurant and is of a high standard. David and Tessa who run the place are extremely friendly, helpful and accommodating.

For the price I don't believe there is anything as good value with comparable quality in this area of Edinburgh - and I've stayed in lots of them.

A stay here won't be regretted!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank JHDBM
Mansfield Notts
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Our friends had booked a triple room here so my friend and I decided to book here too. They had a room at the back of the hotel ours was on the front (no5 I think). Well I know it was just before Christmas but I didn't expect it to be so noisy! Both nights of our stay people were outside partying till 4am!! I hardly had any sleep at all and it spoilt my stay. The rooms were fine with nice comfortable beds and a shower room and ideal for a weekend break.
We will be visiting Edinburgh again in December for Christmas shopping but we wont be staying here. Its a shame really because this hotel is very central to everything and is reasonably priced. If your a deep sleeper go for it if your not like me book somewhere else.

Room Tip: Try to get one at the back
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

For valentines weekend me and my boyfriend josh norrie spent it in edinburgh and we stayed in 53 fredrick street. It is a brilliant hotel, very spotless, big spacious rooms nothing to complain about. Tessa is absolutely lovely very helpful and nice to approach if needing help. Right in the city centre so it is brilliant. Ricks bar is very lovely and such yummy breakfast. It was a great hotel to spend out valentines in. We will be returning very soon.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robyn b
Ambleside
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Earlier this month, accompanied by a friend from Australia we were touring the country and looked forward to our visit to Edinburgh where we were meeting our friend's relatives. This booking was made by our friend on-line which is why I missed the description of the location on 2nd and 3rd floors and no lift. However this wasn't the main issue. When we arrived and pulled up outside I stayed in the car as there was nowhere to park legally whilst my husband and friend went to check in. After some time( they had difficulty finding anyone) they told me that after mentioning that I had hip problems the room had been changed to the second, rather than the third floor and that the room was nice and spacious. They were advised that the car park was half a mile away but free parking outside overnight from 6.30 to 8,.30. This was impractical so decided to leave the car in the car park which was inconvenient at best. We went straight off to explore and have lunch. On our return to change for dinner with our friends, I was dismayed by the long flights of stone steps up a grim grey stairwell which felt more like a prison entrance than a B&B. However the main problem was that the room and bathroom in particular was so dark. The light fitting above the mirror in the bathroom was missing and a ceiling light out. There was one dim light bulb in the bedroom. No dressing table mirror where there was a table lamp. The only place I found to dry my hair was standing on one side of the room using a mirror leaning against the wall on the other. The shower door handle was missing and the screen out of its grooves. The bed valance was half way down the base and pooled at the bottom of the bed. However we had a good night's sleep on a very comfortable bed despite the noise from fans outside the window. Next morning after struggling to see to put my contact lenses in we headed off to breakfast down the interminable stone steps, outside in the rain, down the street. down more steps into a basement restaurant. Breakfast there was however excellent as was the service. It was on departure that things really started to go wrong. When we went to pay I mentioned the poor lighting to the young woman, who after reading other reviews, must be Tessa. Her instant response was "Why didn't you say something earlier, I can't do anything about it now, can I?" I was so taken aback I was speechless. Unfortunately she seemed to take my silence as some sort of victory and continued to repeat herself over and over that it was actually my fault! Eventually I said I didn't wish to discuss it any further,just wanted to make her aware that the lighting was inadequate and left the office. I heard my husband mention the single dim ceiling light bulb. Her response to that was "it's an energy saving light bulb" !!?? Oh so that's ok then!! Her parting shot was "Maybe I should have left you in the original room then" At which point I was so angry I left the building.
In all my years in the service industry, 20 in four star hotel management and 6 running our own guest house, I have never ever come across such defiant arrogance when dealing with a customer's legitimate criticism. Hospitality?Zero!

Room Tip: Don't go if you have any mobility issues
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AmblesideMaggie
DT_Edin, Owner at 53 Frederick Street, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review.
However you have given a very one sided point of view, while I am happy to take constructive criticism I disagree with many of your versions of our conversation.
As you say your friend booked the accommodation- we state that we are on the second and third floors with no lift and that as we are a city centre guest house we are unable to offer parking.
When I was informed of your hip problem I was happy to change the room and beds to better suit your requirements.
This is a family business and my brother and I live on site and if you had contacted us we would have changed the bulbs immediately, but as you only mentioned this as you checked out all I could do was apologise.
I did say that perhaps it would have been better if I had left you in the original room booked as it has many more spot lights.
You husband and friend seemed to have enjoyed their stay and I find it sad that you felt it necessary to write such a long winded negative review for one over night stay and two light bulbs.....
Stromness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I have stayed twice at No 53 Frederick Street and both times have found it cosy, friendly and very accommodating. It can be a bit noisy in the front bedroom but that's to be expected in the middle of the city at the weekend. The second time I stayed with two friends in a large bedroom at the back and our only issue was with the next door building's 24 hour heating system!
It's a great arrangement where you go to Rick's next door for breakfast and the dinners there are brilliant too.
By the end of a weekend you're fitter than when you arrived because of the 40 plus stairs - that might be the only disadvatage for some people. I've had very good rates at the times I've stayed but unfortunately couldn't afford the usual mid and high season rates so will have to wait till autumn or winter to go back!
The owners are great and very helpful and I look forward to seeing them again.

Room Tip: Possibly rooms at the back would be best if you're there for the weekend
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel