“Quirky B&B”

53 Frederick Street
Ranked #29 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 April 2014

A quirky but comfortable bed and breakfast up a long flight of stairs in the heart of Edinburgh.
Breakfast is served in in the restaurant in the building's basement in a cafe called Ricks. I found the breakfast excellent and my favorite which is poached eggs were perfect and NOT flopping about on a soggy piece of toast. Beds comfortable everything as I would expect but remember this is a bed and breakfast not an hotel. Yes I would stay again.

Room Tip: Remember to ask for an adaptor if you have an electric razor some of the rooms do not have a razor s...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed her in Feb for Scotland v England Rugby game. Several flights of stairs upto the accommodation, not for the faint hearted! Very traditional accommodation, uneven floor boards and ceilings, very quant. Very friendly owners, happy to impart tips for city sight seeing. Only down side was breakfast which was served a couple of doors down at another restaurant. Really not very good, cold and unappetising. Shame really, we went out for breakfast on the second day as none of us were prepared to risk it again. That said would I use this accommodation action again....yes due to the buildings character and owners friendliness.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at 53 Frederick Street in Edinburgh. The main aim of my visit was to photograph the city for an exhibition, so I needed to be as central as possible.

53 is a lovely B&B right in the heart of Edinburgh, walking distance of everything you need to see. Once a family home with lots of history and now a family run business. Based on the 3rd and 4th floors in a traditional Scottish tenement. With lovely, airy, bright high ceiling rooms with all you need- TV/DVD, Tea & coffee, ironing board etc. and black out curtains. All providing a comfortable stay. Breakfast is provided in Rick's the restaurant next door- which was very delicious.

Both the owners were extremely helpful and friendly throughout our visit. And not forgetting Honey the cat. She was a welcomed friendly visitor to our room! There is no doubt in my mind, next time I visit Edinburgh, I will see if 53 has available rooms.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The service from start to finish was impeccable.

I booked this B&B pretty last minute as I had problems with the hotel I had booked. Tessa made the booking simple and emails/phonecalls were informal and friendly.

The B&B wasn't far from the bus station and a 2 minutes walk from Rose Street.

The room was spotless, everything looked fresh and the bathroom was lovely and new.

Tessa was very friendly and helpful too.

The breakfast at Rick's (next door) in the morning, was brilliant. Great choice and brilliant service.

All in all a fantastic stay with great service.

The only thing I would say is there was quite a draft coming in the windows and my sister (whose bed was at the window as the sofa had been removed and a bed put in to make room for the 4 of us) was quite cold during the night. It was a bit nippy but to be fair there were extra covers and we never said anything therefore not giving them a chance to turn heating up etc.

The shower water also went a bit cold after two showers - again we said nothing so we can't complain.

These were minor and didn't take away the enjoyment of the stay.

Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2014

had a fabulous weekend here in February 2014, ok so the stairs are a bit of a workout but not too much of a problem. fantastic position in the city. less than fantastic breakfast at Ricks (new chef) but all in all very pleasant stay. room comfortable even padding across the landing to the bathroom wasn't too much of a chore

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kate M
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I have stayed in this hotel several times now and am booked to go several more as I am often in Edinburgh. I used to vary the hotels that I stayed in but now that I've found this one I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

For those that now Edinburgh it is just 10 seconds away from George Street and 2 minutes from Princes Street. For those that don't then it is brilliantly placed within the New Town and everything you could want is right on your doorstep.

The rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. The breakfast is served downstairs in a separate restaurant and is of a high standard. David and Tessa who run the place are extremely friendly, helpful and accommodating.

For the price I don't believe there is anything as good value with comparable quality in this area of Edinburgh - and I've stayed in lots of them.

A stay here won't be regretted!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank JHDBM
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Our friends had booked a triple room here so my friend and I decided to book here too. They had a room at the back of the hotel ours was on the front (no5 I think). Well I know it was just before Christmas but I didn't expect it to be so noisy! Both nights of our stay people were outside partying till 4am!! I hardly had any sleep at all and it spoilt my stay. The rooms were fine with nice comfortable beds and a shower room and ideal for a weekend break.
We will be visiting Edinburgh again in December for Christmas shopping but we wont be staying here. Its a shame really because this hotel is very central to everything and is reasonably priced. If your a deep sleeper go for it if your not like me book somewhere else.

Room Tip: Try to get one at the back
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends