“Great Great value for the Money and Great Location”

53 Frederick Street
Ranked #27 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 September 2008

Have been in the travel industry before and was quite impressed with the property. Very clean and of course a fabulous location to be based in. Breakfast was great and we were accomodated with a continental breakfast for our early departure for a day tour as well as our departure from Edinburgh on our last day. David and Tessa were great and I agree--some GREAT places to eat within 30 seconds of the property---Cafe Marlayne was recommended by Tessa and it was the best food of the entire trip---Would love to book again for the Christmas holidays! Would highly recommend for anyone looking for great value--especially in these times of the devaluing US dollar!!! Thanks David & Tessa----from a happy Dallas Texan!!!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for 53 Frederick Street

Reviewed 8 August 2008

Chose to stay here for 2 nights recently with my partner partly based on previous TA reviews. Sadly I cannot agree with other users and I don't consider myself to be particularily fussy. All I ask for is a good standard of cleanliness and a decent breakfast.

Firstly, we were assured that there was parking available - this turned out to be on street parking 'wherever you can find a space' around 2 blocks away. Secondly be aware that the property is up 4 flights of stairs and the bedrooms are up another flight. Neither of these things were a real problem for us as we're fairly fit, but I do think guests should be made aware in advance.

David, the owner, made us feel very welcome and showed us to our room - room 3. It was adequate, but needed a really good deep clean. There's a very large light fitting hanging over the bed which was covered in a thick layer of dust. The rather cramped, carpetted (yuk!) en suite had splashes of who knows what on the walls and skirting and the shower cabinet had a layer of grime on the edge around the outside. The bedspread was stained and the room was generally a bit 'tired'. It's a pity because the bedroom was a good size and with a little TLC could be really lovely.

Finally I have to comment on the breakfast which again was adequate but no more. Our table had obviously been used already and re-set but the crumbs hadn't been wiped away. There was a limited selection of cereals and the sausages were poor quality.

All in all, an excellent location just a stone's throw from Princes Street, but the guest house needs a good clean and doesn't represent good value for money at £95 for a double room.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelinlite
Reviewed 25 June 2008

Great location in Edinburgh, fantastic food places next door - Noodle Bar & Pub are great. Rooms are large & clean, yummy breakfasts & friendly hosts. Parking is a couple of blocks away though

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Miss_Ruby_J
Reviewed 19 June 2008

This charming city central bed and breakfast gets my approval instantly by the friendly warm welcome from owner David. Who, for any female tourist is quite the handsome, charming Scottish Prime you wish to be serving your porridge in the morning. My only suggestion would be he wore a kilt too!

He carried my bag to my vast room which had a grand view of Frederick Street. My en-suite bedroom was tastefully decorated and clean, with plenty of hanging storage, a decent hairdryer and available plugs for my hair straighteners and laptop.

53 Frederick Street is in a great location right by the trendy George Street which is host to fabulous shops, bars and top festival venues. I was a late checking in and David suggested a fantastic Thai restaurant - Du Sit, literally round the corner. Which was followed by a very good Cosmo cocktail just a few floors below 53 at Rick’s Bar.

I woke after a very peaceful nights sleep to a beautiful, sunny Edinburgh shining through my top floor windows; I enjoyed my power shower, complimentary toiletries and fluffy towels. Also, the room wasn’t sweltering hot as most places often are!

I opted for the continental which offered a healthy range of cereals, breads and yogurt, although the full Scottish breakfast did look rather good. Being quite the Tea Jenny, was delighted they make a fine morning brew!

All in, 53 Frederick Street is a well managed, charming B&B.
Great service, location and value for money. I will most definitely return and recommend.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank HappyScottishCamper
Reviewed 29 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at No. 53 for our honeymoon in August, 2005. The location couldn't be better... easy to find, and a very short walk to the castle and old town, with close access to the gardens and shopping in the new town. Our room was beautiful and plenty spacious, with such a charming view, and the breakfast was delicious. The proprietor was friendly and even had pointers that helped us get last-minute tickets to the Military Tattoo, which was sold out! I highly recommend this bed and breakfast and definitely want to go back! If I could live there, I would!

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2008

No 53 Frederick St is a great location just a couple of blocks off Princes St. We stayed 4 nights and were back for 1 night after being away to the Highlands for a few days. Rooms and bathrooms are quite nice. Only missing item we could have used was a hairdryer and as we often find; there was no electrical outlet in the bathroom for anything other than a shaver.

David and Tessa were very helpful with any questions or assistance we needed. When we arrived around noon for our one day return stay, Tessa took us to a room right away even though it wasn't quite ready. That allowed us to drop off our luggage and get out for our afternoon agenda - very much appreciated her kindness.

Breakfasts were good - nice assortment of cereal, juices, yogurt and the hot breakfast if you wished.

I would absolutely recommend this B&B to anyone who can manage the few flights of stairs to reach the lobby and the rooms.

There is a wonderful vegetarian restaurant on Thistle St which runs just behind No 53, it is only a couple of blocks on Thistle to "Henderson's Bistro" - fabulous food. The bus station is also within walking distance (maybe 4 blocks) and the local buses run on Princes Street.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 April 2008

53 Frederick is within walking distance of Waverley Station. I nearly walked right past it. There is no lift in this 200+ year old building. The room was clean and nicely decorated. The staff is friendly. We enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple