“First trip to Edinburgh”

53 Frederick Street
Ranked #30 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 May 2014

After much research, I booked 54 Frederick Street for 4 nights. It was an excellent choice. The owners were lovely - even if most of our interactions were at 8 a.m., the minute Tessa opens the office! Tessa gave us our room early (appreciated after a rough night on the night train from London), provided helpful suggestions as to wool shopping and I enjoyed talking to her about cats (Henni is adorable.)

We booked a room without an ensuite bathroom - but we had a private bathroom across the hall. This was no issue to us, given the price of the room. The room itself was spacious, with a very large bed and plenty of storage. Free wifi, with a good signal. The rate provides breakfast at Rick's Cafe, adjacent to the lodging. The breakfast was excellent, and we also had dinner there one night as well.

The location is perfect. You are right on top of George Street, Rose Street and Princes Street. We walked everywhere - including Britannia (we recommend taking one of the buses back though - there are three that will bring you back to the hotel).

I would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Clean rooms, nice and helpful staff
Close to main tourists attractions of the city.
Convinient place of the city with easy access to restaurants and shops
Breakfast not that big comparing to further bed and breakfasts of scottish towns

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed at 53 for three nights and was very pleased. The owners of this establishment were wonderful and very helpful. The place was clean and comfortable. Our room was spacious and very quiet. The whole Bed and Breakfast was quant. The location is wonderful, in the middle of everything. The breakfast in the morning was at a café/bar below. The food was good and the service was friendly. We would come back to this Bed and Breakfast.

Room Tip: The rooms are on the second and third floor and there is no elevator. They make this very clear whe...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teresa1462
Reviewed 9 April 2014

A quirky but comfortable bed and breakfast up a long flight of stairs in the heart of Edinburgh.
Breakfast is served in in the restaurant in the building's basement in a cafe called Ricks. I found the breakfast excellent and my favorite which is poached eggs were perfect and NOT flopping about on a soggy piece of toast. Beds comfortable everything as I would expect but remember this is a bed and breakfast not an hotel. Yes I would stay again.

Room Tip: Remember to ask for an adaptor if you have an electric razor some of the rooms do not have a razor s...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed her in Feb for Scotland v England Rugby game. Several flights of stairs upto the accommodation, not for the faint hearted! Very traditional accommodation, uneven floor boards and ceilings, very quant. Very friendly owners, happy to impart tips for city sight seeing. Only down side was breakfast which was served a couple of doors down at another restaurant. Really not very good, cold and unappetising. Shame really, we went out for breakfast on the second day as none of us were prepared to risk it again. That said would I use this accommodation action again....yes due to the buildings character and owners friendliness.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at 53 Frederick Street in Edinburgh. The main aim of my visit was to photograph the city for an exhibition, so I needed to be as central as possible.

53 is a lovely B&B right in the heart of Edinburgh, walking distance of everything you need to see. Once a family home with lots of history and now a family run business. Based on the 3rd and 4th floors in a traditional Scottish tenement. With lovely, airy, bright high ceiling rooms with all you need- TV/DVD, Tea & coffee, ironing board etc. and black out curtains. All providing a comfortable stay. Breakfast is provided in Rick's the restaurant next door- which was very delicious.

Both the owners were extremely helpful and friendly throughout our visit. And not forgetting Honey the cat. She was a welcomed friendly visitor to our room! There is no doubt in my mind, next time I visit Edinburgh, I will see if 53 has available rooms.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The service from start to finish was impeccable.

I booked this B&B pretty last minute as I had problems with the hotel I had booked. Tessa made the booking simple and emails/phonecalls were informal and friendly.

The B&B wasn't far from the bus station and a 2 minutes walk from Rose Street.

The room was spotless, everything looked fresh and the bathroom was lovely and new.

Tessa was very friendly and helpful too.

The breakfast at Rick's (next door) in the morning, was brilliant. Great choice and brilliant service.

All in all a fantastic stay with great service.

The only thing I would say is there was quite a draft coming in the windows and my sister (whose bed was at the window as the sofa had been removed and a bed put in to make room for the 4 of us) was quite cold during the night. It was a bit nippy but to be fair there were extra covers and we never said anything therefore not giving them a chance to turn heating up etc.

The shower water also went a bit cold after two showers - again we said nothing so we can't complain.

These were minor and didn't take away the enjoyment of the stay.

Would highly recommend.