“Amazing”

Ranked #20 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
london
“Amazing”
Reviewed 3 December 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here and it was utterly fantastic.

The room was stunning,- we had a double room with en-suite which was spotless and the friendliness of everyone who worked at the hotel was fantastic.

The B&B is in the perfect location for those wanting to see all of Edinburgh, everything is walkable.

And I cant begin to say how amazing the breakfasts were!!

We will definitely be returning to Edinburgh and this B&B and I will be thoroughly recommending it!!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
harrogate
Reviewed 1 December 2008

My boyfriend and I booked a 2 night stay over the weekend recently. Got off to a bad start as the website says that they have private off street parking, which is not true as we were given a map on arrival and told where we could park all weekend for free, which turned out to be about 3 streets away. We stayed in room 2, which was a disgrace. The sofa was dirty, the shower wouldn't stay warm, and the 'king size bed' was just two old single beds shoved together, which were so old and used they had sagged in the middle. The stairwell up to the B&B was dark and smelt strongly of cigarette smoke. The only thing going for this place is the location. Probably would suit people that are just going to have a night out and don't care what they sleep on at the end of it. We didn't end up staying both nights and left on the first morning.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Standard of rooms for the money paid.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed 19 October 2008

Stayed three nights. Just a couple blocks off the main street and easy to get to the train station and Royal Mile. Also easy to get a bus back to the airport. The nicest thing that happened was that I left my cell phone in my room. I emailed them as soon as I got home. They emailed me promptly that they had it and got it immediately in the mail!!
Breakfast was good. My bathroom was separate so I had to leave my room but no one else used this bathroom, so it worked out okay. Bed (king) was comfortable. TV stations are limited but more than I had in St Andrew.
Would definitely stay there again. It was around $100/night single but compared to everywhere else in Scotland this is typical.
Nice people.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank hawaiiansun1
Dallas
Reviewed 22 September 2008

Have been in the travel industry before and was quite impressed with the property. Very clean and of course a fabulous location to be based in. Breakfast was great and we were accomodated with a continental breakfast for our early departure for a day tour as well as our departure from Edinburgh on our last day. David and Tessa were great and I agree--some GREAT places to eat within 30 seconds of the property---Cafe Marlayne was recommended by Tessa and it was the best food of the entire trip---Would love to book again for the Christmas holidays! Would highly recommend for anyone looking for great value--especially in these times of the devaluing US dollar!!! Thanks David & Tessa----from a happy Dallas Texan!!!

• Liked — Location and value
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
Scotland
Reviewed 8 August 2008

Chose to stay here for 2 nights recently with my partner partly based on previous TA reviews. Sadly I cannot agree with other users and I don't consider myself to be particularily fussy. All I ask for is a good standard of cleanliness and a decent breakfast.

Firstly, we were assured that there was parking available - this turned out to be on street parking 'wherever you can find a space' around 2 blocks away. Secondly be aware that the property is up 4 flights of stairs and the bedrooms are up another flight. Neither of these things were a real problem for us as we're fairly fit, but I do think guests should be made aware in advance.

David, the owner, made us feel very welcome and showed us to our room - room 3. It was adequate, but needed a really good deep clean. There's a very large light fitting hanging over the bed which was covered in a thick layer of dust. The rather cramped, carpetted (yuk!) en suite had splashes of who knows what on the walls and skirting and the shower cabinet had a layer of grime on the edge around the outside. The bedspread was stained and the room was generally a bit 'tired'. It's a pity because the bedroom was a good size and with a little TLC could be really lovely.

Finally I have to comment on the breakfast which again was adequate but no more. Our table had obviously been used already and re-set but the crumbs hadn't been wiped away. There was a limited selection of cereals and the sausages were poor quality.

All in all, an excellent location just a stone's throw from Princes Street, but the guest house needs a good clean and doesn't represent good value for money at £95 for a double room.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Needs a good clean!!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelinlite
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 June 2008

Great location in Edinburgh, fantastic food places next door - Noodle Bar & Pub are great. Rooms are large & clean, yummy breakfasts & friendly hosts. Parking is a couple of blocks away though

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — paking so far away
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Miss_Ruby_J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2008

This charming city central bed and breakfast gets my approval instantly by the friendly warm welcome from owner David. Who, for any female tourist is quite the handsome, charming Scottish Prime you wish to be serving your porridge in the morning. My only suggestion would be he wore a kilt too!

He carried my bag to my vast room which had a grand view of Frederick Street. My en-suite bedroom was tastefully decorated and clean, with plenty of hanging storage, a decent hairdryer and available plugs for my hair straighteners and laptop.

53 Frederick Street is in a great location right by the trendy George Street which is host to fabulous shops, bars and top festival venues. I was a late checking in and David suggested a fantastic Thai restaurant - Du Sit, literally round the corner. Which was followed by a very good Cosmo cocktail just a few floors below 53 at Rick’s Bar.

I woke after a very peaceful nights sleep to a beautiful, sunny Edinburgh shining through my top floor windows; I enjoyed my power shower, complimentary toiletries and fluffy towels. Also, the room wasn’t sweltering hot as most places often are!

I opted for the continental which offered a healthy range of cereals, breads and yogurt, although the full Scottish breakfast did look rather good. Being quite the Tea Jenny, was delighted they make a fine morning brew!

All in, 53 Frederick Street is a well managed, charming B&B.
Great service, location and value for money. I will most definitely return and recommend.

• Liked — Great service and a good night sleep.
  • Disliked — Everything was perfect for my stay.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo