“Grace, you're a star!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Colquhoun Guest House

Colquhoun Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Colquhoun Guest House
Ranked #300 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Grace, you're a star!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

My son and I had a wonderful time staying with Grace. She is simply wonderful! The friendly hospitality we received throughout our stay was second to none. Grace even got up early to ensure we had a hearty breakfast on our last morning and organized our taxis for us throughout our. Thoroughly recommend this B&B to everyone! We will be back! Thanks Grace, you're a star!

• Stayed August 2010
      Sleep Quality

Couples
POLAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2009

Dear Grace,
you were amazing. Bacause of you my all remember from Edinburgh are with your name! It was few years ago (summer 2001), but you are still in my mind. Best regards from Poland!!! Maria

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Georgetown, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2009

I can't say enough about what a fantastic hostess Grace is. She gave us great tips for the Fringe Festival and getting to/from Edinburgh, served a top-notch breakfast and regaled us with stories of her life.

• Liked — Grace, the hostess
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
new york, ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2007

Grace was an excellent hostess. She makes a great breakfast, is friendly and offers information about the easiest ways from point a to b. The b&b is an easy trip via bus into the city centre and is perfectly situated to hike arthur's seat. nice restaurants and bars in the area too.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
Baton Rouge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2007

This was my second visit to Edinburgh and I wish I had stayed with Grace at Colquhoun in 2002 as well. She and her family made all three of us feel like family. We stayed with her a total of 5 days and I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in the city now.

Grace helped us with directions to navigate the city and had recommendations of things to see and do that we really enjoyed, plus she's just fun! Grab a bus from her place to go see Roslin Chapel, you won't regret it!

We stayed in single rooms as well as a huge large double family room and I only have good things to say about them all. Clean, comfy, and well maintained. Not all rooms have ensuite bathrooms but some do. Ask for what you prefer.

Book early, a lot of people know about Grace and her great Scottish fry up breakfasts! Enjoy Edinburgh.

• Liked — The friendliness of the owners and the breakfast.
  • Disliked — Parking is tight. Rent a small car. :-)
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2006

I stayed at the Colquhoun Guest House during the Edinburgh Festival in 2005. It was easily the most pleasant B&B I've visited ever, anywhere. The proprietess, Grace, goes above and beyond to help her guests feel at home -- without being invasive in any way. She's just wonderful. I felt like I had made a great new friend.

On top of all that, the lodging rate is very reasonable and the location is fantastic for the Festival. Several excellent venues are just a short walk away, and to the city centre it's only 20-25 minutes walking or a quick bus ride. The Guest House is also just a short walk from Arthur's Seat and a number of good pubs and restaurants. I plan to return to the Festival at some point and I can't imagine staying anywhere else. One small piece of advice: book early. I reserved my room in February for a vacation in August, and I think she was almost booked up already.

Oh, and if you go, please tell Grace that Catherine from San Francisco says "hi." :-)

• Liked — hospitality and location
  • Stayed August 2005, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank churdy
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2004

Colquhoun (pronounced Cal-hoon) Guesthouse at 5 Marchall Road (0-131-667-8481) is a stately home converted to a 7-room guesthouse by a kind and tireless hostess, Grace McAinsh. It is located on a quiet residential street near the Commonwealth pool, just a minute's walk from the bus lines that reach the Royal Mile in 10 minutes. At around 50 pounds for a large, nicely decorated double without bath and a bit more en suite, including a generous breakfast served to order in Grace's pleasant dining room, this guesthouse is a great option for those who seek charm, convenience, and warm Scottish hospitality. We found it a great place to relax during festival time.

• Stayed August 2004