“Great food but CONSTANTLY terrible service”

Harajuku Kitchen Japanese Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Harajuku Kitchen Japanese Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #388 of 2,446 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$17 - US$45
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are smart casual japanese bistro. Authentic Japanese owned restaurant and provide wholesome food.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great food but CONSTANTLY terrible service”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I signed up to review this place. The sushi is the best I've ever tasted, the fish is fresh, the miso soup is amazing and the rice is perfect.

The service however, is a disgrace, an utter disgrace. I've been 5 times now and each time the excellence of the great sushi is dulled by the shockingly lacklustre service. Each time we've been I recall someone in our group ordering something extra after our food arrived and it never coming. Want an extra drink at Harajuka Kitchen? You better get out your seat, walk up and ask for it. Because merely asking the waitress will not result in any new beverage coming to your table.

Last time I was here I asked 3 (three!) separate times for a new glass of whatever it was I was drinking and not only did it not arrive, they tried to charge me for it anyway! The waitresses are not by any means impolite, but they seem far more concerned with standing at the bar, laughing and giggling like school girls than making sure customers are getting what they ordered.

Oh and expect to wait 20-25 minutes for whatever you order, when your food arrives it will be fantastic, but my god they make you wait for it.

We're probably going to give this place a miss for a few months until they get their front of house in order.

• Visited May 2014
6 Thank andy s

Livingston, United Kingdom
“Excellent Sushi Place...”
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Visited here on a Sunday for lunch.

The place was really quiet because of the time of day, service was spot on, and I got the impression it wouldn't have been affected too much had it been busy.

We ordered loads (dragon roll, sweet potato roll, edamame, gyoza, and tempura), and it all arrived presented beautifully. Everything was superb.

I wouldn't say this place was cheap, but I do think you get a lot for your money. The dragon roll was not only the best I've had, but also the biggest. Some nice wee extras were thrown in like a side of rice and some miso soup, good touch.

The layout of the restaurant was nice too, didn't feel too close to other tables etc, and the place seemed really relaxed and just a pleasant place to spend some time for dinner/lunch.

For sushi fans it comes highly recommended, don't think there is much better in Edinburgh.

We'll be back.

4 Thank Paula_8181
“Great for lunch”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have now been twice and enjoyed it very much both times I just wanted something quick and not fussy I was on my own and felt very comfortable there is wifi which is useful. The food was excellent and will go again

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Nayajazz
“Quite possibly the best Japanese restaurant in Edinburgh”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

A beautifully quaint restaurant in a lovely part of Edinburgh serving tasty, fresh and stunningly handmade sushi and noodle dishes.

2 Thank Alex N
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Best Gyoza in Edinburgh”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I am a huge fan of Japanese food and I have been to most of the Japanese restuarants in Edinburgh. I almost always order Gyoza and these dumplings are amazing! The rest of the food was fabulous too, really fresh tasting and a great varied menu with seasonal specials.

• Visited April 2014