“Interesting ”

Ranked #69 of 239 Tours in Edinburgh
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Our walks are written and researched by historical author and award winning novelist, J A Henderson. Our guides are a mixture of historians and professional entertainers, picked for their ability to improvise entertain. As a result we have enjoyed years of rave media reviews. City of the Dead has been named “Britain’s Best Ghost Walk” by Scare.com, Yahoo! Travel and Virgin Media and is the only Scottish attraction to be short listed for the prestigious Screamie Awards (3 times!) and the Luxury Travel Awards. We also won Scare Tours ‘Best Ghost Tour’ award. Best of all we have sole access to two of the word’s most haunted sites. Damnation Alley is in the South Bridge Vaults and part of Edinburgh’s legendary Underground City. The Covenanter’s Prison is a locked section of Greyfriars Graveyard and lair of the infamous‘Mackenzie Poltergeist’. This entity is the best documented supernatural case of all time and responsible for hundreds of ‘attacks’ on the tours.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Excellent tour by Jamie. Well thought out historical tour of the vaults. No silly stunts. Superb story telling! The stalactites were dripping and eerie!

2  Thank dianewG746CG
Write a ReviewReviews (2,300)
All reviews
"edinburgh's history"
in 46 reviews
"tour group"
in 25 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 25 reviews
"st giles cathedral"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My family and I did the double dead tour at 8 PM on June 20. I had previously read one of the books about McKenzie Poltergeist, written by JA Henderson. So, I was open-minded and intrigued, at least to have an interesting and informative experience. It was really neither of those things. While I didn't expect to be "attacked" by Poltergeists, I was hopeful that there would be some creepy moments and I wouldn't think it was a total money grab. I would NOT recommend this tour and wish instead that I would have spent our money on learning something interesting about this very historically-rich country.

2  Thank leepetert
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We took part in the Double Dead Tour at 10pm on Friday the 15th of June and it was brilliant... Mostly due to the guide who put in a brilliant ( and unhinged performance) sadly in all the excitement , fear and laughter I forgot his name...
Even when waiting to begin he paced creepily around taking mental notes of the jumpier customers (my girlfriend being one) and ensured to terrorise them constantly between the tour spots.. With a dark sense of humour and great interaction, brilliant and gruesome notes on the cities history aswell as embarrassing me right at the end ( forcing me to try and recite the story of GreyFriars Bobby )

Truly a must do if visiting Edinburgh, I highly recommend the 10pm tour.

1  Thank JavaDeano
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had a fantastic tour led by "Edinburgh's most handsome tour guide". The vaults make a perfect backdrop for some truly chilling stories. Well worth your time

2  Thank xxgingerbreadxx