“Confrontational/Non-tourist friendly pub”

Nantong, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Confrontational/Non-tourist friendly pub”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

The idiot behind the bar grabbed our female friends hand when she attempted to open the door a bit as the temperature in the bar was uncomfortable. He watched as she tried to open the door and then run up to her and actually grabbed her hand and threw it off and then proceeded to scream right in her face. This is truly appalling as not only were we with our friends who have lived in Edinburgh most of their lives, but we were with a party of ten which obviously is a lot of money and drinks for the pub, he obviously has no common sense. The guy was sexist, racist, and I hope the owner of the bar reads this. We visited on 17 July around 2100.

This man should be fired, all he needed to do was politely ask not to open the door, instead he physically and verbally assaulted a patron. Never going back to this terrible bar. Clearly this is downtown and you should welcome tourists, i read reviews that the locals like it looking like a dump which is ridiculous, but the local bar in my town actually treats any and all patrons with dignity and respect.

Visited July 2013
5 Thank Steve G
licensee, Owner at Scotsman's Lounge, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Many thanks for bringing this matter to my attention. I'm afraid that it has been some time since I checked trip advisor. Firstly let me apologise for the behaviour of the member of staff involved. This should not have happened and it has obviously spoiled your evening. I can assure you that this is not the way my staff normally behave and incidents such as the one experienced are rare. Again sorry and if you are ever in Edinburgh again please email me and at least allow me to try and make it up to you, As ever all feedback is welcome it is impossible for me to be present all day but the staff should behave in a manner that welcomes visitors.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 259 helpful votes
“Disgraceful staff.”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I have been taking friends and visitors to Edinburgh here for many years and always had a great Scottish experience however last night was disgraceful.

A group of us were there and I witnessed the manager shouting and pointing his finger into the face of a Thai lady customer and it resulted in him making a racist comment to her. This should never be tolerated anywhere in the world and it shamed me that it happened in a Scottish pub.

I will never go back to this bar..........

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Tam Carr
licensee, Owner at Scotsman's Lounge, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
I deeply regret the incident that took place and offer my apologies for the behaviour of staff involved. Such incidents are rare but the reality is that they should not occur. Sorry if this incident spoiled your evening, I have apologised to the party concerned and would welcome the opportunity to express my apology in person and somehow try to make it up to you. We rely on the tourist trade and anything that places that in jeopardy reflects both on the pub and on the city.
Atlanta, Georgia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Locals Only, good music”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We wandered into the Scotsman's Lounge and it was practically empty. Upon staying a while, live music began and the regulars filled the bar. The bar itself is kind of seedy. Though the locals were friendly and started up conversation with us, they were kind enough to share their anti-American sentiments as well. We ended up leaving because it became uncomfortable. The music was great though! If you are looking for an authentic Scottish pub, this is the place to go.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Brighteyes222
edinburgh
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best little pub in the old town edinburgh”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I have been drinking in this pub for forty years and everybody is made welcome. The first impression in is that it looks a dump but that's the way the locals like it. There is a great local social mix and strangers will certainly enjoy the live music played by all-round musicians who can play anything from folk, jazz, blues and most requests. It is a pub that even a single female will feel very safe in because the staff are not only very helpful but watchful.
The pub is also a magnet for pipers as it was the watering hole for the regimental pipers who when graduating from the course at Edinburgh Castle would celebrate here. Importantly it is privately owned and not a "themed" pub - what you see is what you get. If you see an old guy in the corner - Stormin' Norman - that's me. Come in and say hello. Och, and the prices are cheaper!

Visited May 2013
4 Thank dunedenEdinburgh
Livingston, United Kingdom
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“Good live music”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

My Brother used to work in this pub about 5 years ago and every time I went The Rantum Scantum were playing, I love their music! They gave me a cd but I lost it :( Don't know what the pub is like now as I havn't been in years, but if the Rantum Scantum still play there it's worth going just to see them. My favourite song is 'the devil came to Scotland'. A story behind the fiddler, I won't give it away :)

Visited April 2012