“Excitingly different Indian” 4 of 5 bubbles

Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excitingly different Indian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Edinburgh has a long and great tradition of Indian Vegetarian food and Bindi's is a very welcome continuation of the story.

We had the two taster menus, followed by a thali which we shared. The food is unusual, more like tapas than curry, but fantastically flavoursome nonetheless. The thali comprised three different pulse-based curries, tasty and surprisingly different.

If you're looking for a conventional curry, Bindi's probably isn't for you, but if you want to explore genuine Indian vegetarian cooking without your passport, it's a great place to start!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GaynorUK

Totnes, United Kingdom
“Tasty.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

The food was very tasty. We had the thali for £5 which had lentil dhal, split pea dhal, potato curry, rice and 2 small rotis. You caould also have one refill of one dish. It was a good price but I found it unimaginative. Dhal and dhal is a bit boring, all brown...

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Bix5
Andover, United Kingdom
“Amazing experience, food that explodes flavour and great friendly service to boot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

My Fiancé booked us a table at Bindi on a weekend break to Edinburgh. He is vegan and im not so Bindi was perfect.

I have never tasted such fantastic food, the flavours were amazing.

The owner was lovely and explained the dishes and her recommendations . The service was great, unpretentious food and a home lu atmosphere.

I want to go back and do a cookery lesson.

Don't be put off by the fact that it's vegetarian food you will soon forget once you start eating!

3 Thank Cerri B
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Best Meal !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Had been to Bindi restaurant on 27/2... this was my 2nd visit.. believe me it was so good, service, food n ambience was out of the world, really enjoyed my evening with my wife... !!! tnx Bindi for the whole experience!!! will definately recommend the same to others !!!

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Gaurav0605
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Given a lecture!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Ordered the gulab jamun as desert - what arrived (eventually) was 4 marble sized balls, no syrup, totally dry in the middle. I pointed this out and this then resulted in me being lectured on how to make Indian sweets, and how at Bindi they like to make healthy food with not much sugar. When I requested that I please be given some of the syrup that is mentioned on the menu, and is a major part of this desert, I was told they didn't have any left. They then offered to bring me another desert, but I said it was fine, I didn't want anything else. A few minutes later, a spoonful of 3 other deserts was brought to my table and another 'lecture' began. I was expected to taste all the 3 deserts whilst someone stood over me, which I declined to do. All I was trying to do was have a meal out with a friend I hadn't seen in ages, and the constant interruptions and patronising attitude from Bindi and co. was unbelievable. When I told them that I had lived in India, and had studied Gujurati cooking they finally decided to leave me alone. Not a pleasant dining experience.

• 2 of 5 bubbles