Open today: 12:00 - 18:00
Review Highlights
Dirty dancing

5* for Dirty Dancing show. Not for the theatre, i used to love going as a kid thinking how grand a... read more

Reviewed 24 July 2017
Amie M
via mobile
Stunning Performance

My wife and I went to see Alexandra Burke in the Bodyguard show and to say this show was... read more

Reviewed 14 October 2015
Eric D
Rosyth Nr.Dunfermline

Recommended experiences in and around Edinburgh
from US$15.75
from US$15.75
from US$17.06
from US$22.31
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 March 2014

It's not often I get the time to see a stage/theatre production, however as this was a gift, time was duly made.

What a show - despite the fact that we were seated in the 'gods' area of the playhouse and could have done well with bringing some binoculars, the production was spectacular.

From the stagecraft, costumes, musical score and overall artistic replication onto the stage, this had to be one of the best I've seen in a very long time.

Parking was fine for us as we had pre-booked a space in the adjacent multi-storey, and then simply wandered round to the theatre, a 5 min walk.

Expensive - yes, but in my opinion well worth it.

Date of experience: January 2014
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

This is a show which has been at west end and broadway for years and years, one that I'd always wanted to see but never could afford- a cheap seat cost me £52.50. But I can see why it's so successful.
In terms of venue, my view was spot on, and the facilities at the theatre were great.
I am a 90s child, therefore I have grown up with Disney and had high expectations of this show. However, I didn't expect to have the movie almost completely laid out on stage in front of me. To some extent this was great because it was familiar, and the great loved moments from the films are brought to life. On the other hand, I kind of expected a lot more originality. But none the less I was not disappointed.
I respect the actors, but I did find it difficult to connect with mufasa and both simbas... But rafiki and zazu were amazing! Absolutely top class actors and their lines were scripted so well. I'm a sucker for the comics in a show (:
I would definitely recommend this to anyone but just be prepared to know 90% of the script!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Was a good show although lacking somewhat on the musical front. More for the artistic development of the costumes, animals and dance.

Date of experience: November 2013
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We went for a birthday treat (for me, as it happens). Booked months ago, and travelled a long way to be here, so expectations were very high. The show itself is absolutely fantastic, and we were completely blown away by the stagecraft, the acting the orchestra and of course the costumes. It's many years since I cried with emotion in the theatre, and it's also a first with me to experience a full standing ovation at the end of the show. Putting drummers in the royal boxes was a master stroke, bringing them to us and making them part of the action. Also, as has been said, the involvement of characters in the audience was just breathtaking. Aside from the wonderful "main characters" the real "take your breath away" moment for me was the elephant! A wonderful, wonderful show.

So why not five stars? Well, the venue just can't cope with the audience. The interval was a joke, with queues for everything going in all directions and even crossing over themselves. Don't bother wanting the toilet - you won't get there! We ordered interval drinks and JUST reached the end of the queue to reach them as the 2 minute bell rang. The staff, although numerous, are there to sell toys and not to help with directions or marshal the queues.

The interval experience, although chaotic and in desperate need of decent theatre management input, didn't spoil our evening, though - the show really was that good. Just make sure you relieve yourself before the show!

Date of experience: January 2014
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Our Christmas treat (plus a few birthdays as well) was a trip to the Edinburgh Playhouse to see the Lion King.
A truly fantastic show, and amazing individual performances by many of the cast - I won't mention any details as it would spoil the show and detract from its impact, but we were blown away by this show.
I was lucky to spend a couple of months in Kenya, and this show brought back many memories of African life, music and atmosphere.
The tickets are not cheap - we paid £52 per ticket, but when you see what goes into this show, it's well worth it.
I can't imagine that anyone would not enjoy this show.

Date of experience: December 2013