“Still returning”

Sandaig Guest House
Ranked #53 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Have stayed at this guest house twice now. The service and staff are outstanding - its unique focus on quality is also recognized by other's in the industry - we had dinner at Hadrian's (Down town Edinburgh) and when it was time to return to the Guest House, the doormen who ordered our taxi actually waxed poetic about The Sandaig. He said everyone in Leith Links knew it was the best guest house in the whole area. Nice validation for my taste in hotels ;-) This stay we were on the first floor - an advantage when there is no elevator. We had a slightly larger room but smaller bathroom - so if you are a bit claustrophobic, be sure to specify your requirements. As usual, everything was spotless and the breakfast was well worth getting up ;-) - Skip the waffles (a bit dry) but do try the yoghurt with muesli and home-made compote - delicious. The weather was better this time so we were able to take some advantage of the beautiful 'green' across from the hotel - I'm sure to return soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor if you have heavy suitcases - they do not have an elevator
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tantomile_11
Sandaig, Manager at Sandaig Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2013

Dear reviewer,

Thank you so much for your review and thank you for deciding to return to The Sandaig. It is always a pleasure to meet returning guests. It is great to hear that we are know for our reputation and quality of service that we offer to our guests. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

This is my second stay at the Sandaig and it is just as good as it was the last time I stayed. It's really well situated on the Links and close to the shore and walking distance to the centre of Edinburgh if you don't want to take a bus. The rooms are thoughtfully decorated and presented, filled with all the comforts of home. The only thing that makes me chuckle is that there is a lovely decanter of whiskey for guests in each room but no water and after a night out on the tiles I really needed rehydration! My problem and not theirs! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Sandaig and I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: I stayed in the same room on the top floor and had a lovely quite night. It's at the front of t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Lisa C
Sandaig, Owner at Sandaig Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2013

Dear Lisa C

Thank you so much for your review on the Sandaig and great having you back for a second visit.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the sherry and will arrange to also put in some water for your next visit.

Many thanks again..

Reviewed 27 February 2013

This guest house is located in the area of Leith which is around 20 bus ride into the city centre of Edinburgh. Buses run regularly, there are two bus stops on the road outside of the guest house. The guest house had everything that we needed, nicely decorated room and bathroom, really powerful hot shower, close enough to the city centre. Was a nice touch to have a welcome drink of port in the room and nice complementary toiletries in the bathroom. We had breakfast included and glad that we'd paid extra for this as the breakfast was really nice. There was so much to choose from, fresh fruit, cereals, porridge, croissants, waffles, toast, omlettes, egg on toast or full Scottish cooked breakfast. It was all cooked fresh to order and tasted great. The breakfast waitress was lovely, always really happy and helpful.
The thing that I loved most about this guest house though was the bed. It was by far the comfiest bed I have ever slept in! Myself and my partner both slept so well every night. I'd definately recommend this guesthouse to anyone visiting Edinburgh for a break or business.

Room Tip: Room 10 has a really comfy bed and is quiet (although on 2nd floor so not for those with walking dif...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank biasco11

Dear Biasco11

Delighted to hear that we offered everything that you needed and that you enjoyed the complimentary sherry.
We do pride ourselves on offering our guests a substantial quality breakfast and glad to hear you enjoyed it.
Wow, the comfiest bed you have ever slept in... that is great to know. Hope to see you again

Best wishes

Reviewed 13 February 2013

We booked the Sandaig Guest House for last weekend, and found a good sized bedroom with very comfortable bed. It also had a large en-suite.
Breakfast was great, fresh and served by a friendly waitress.
The bus stop is just outside the guest house with buses running every 10 minutes into the center of Edinburgh, or follow the path through the park in front of the house and it takes you to some lovely pubs and eateries at Leith Docks.
I would recommend this guest house.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank oor-e

Dear oor-e

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a fantastic review. Hope to see you again sometime at The Sandaig..

Reviewed 10 February 2013

I am currently writing this review from in my room. Excellent value for money. Good breakfast. Big room and comfy bed.
Helpful staff.

The girlfriend saw reviews and we went for it and I'm glad we did.

Looking at other reviews people have complained about the price and I was confused until I looked at when they were posted.
I came to Edinburgh 2 years ago during the fringe and a premier inn was nearly £150 per night.

For the cost and location I think anyone too ignorant to know how busy around here is and why during that month should not bother visiting Edinburgh.

On a tangent on leaving there was a Italian kicking off at something that was not the owners fault and threatening to sue.
This is just a pre emptive positive review side note as he was just being a p**k and bring completely unreasonable.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Ianlc83
Reviewed 30 January 2013

We wanted a bed for one night near our son's flat in Leith and found this gem at a very reasonable price. Free parking, and bus stop right outside the door to take us up to Princes Street. Our room was lovely; warm, comfortable and quiet with a spacious, well-equipped en-suite and loads of storage space. Sunday morning breakfast was great with plenty of choice. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carole807
Reviewed 21 January 2013

What can I say? The rooms, the service, the location, the public transport (bus stop with direct bus to Central Edinburgh) right outside - all perfect!

The price we paid was a steal for the quality of our room. The owner was incredibly welcoming, with nothing too much of a bother.

Would I stay here again? Try and stop me!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends