“Had a great nights sleep here!”

Sandaig Guest House
Ranked #41 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Dunfermline
“Had a great nights sleep here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

We stayed here for one night which we booked last minute as another hotel had double booked us.

We arrived and there was nobody there to greet us but we had been given instructions via email on how to get the key and let ourselves in which was really easy.

The room was lovely and clean and the decor was stunning! Exactly what we were looking for. The bed was really comfy (2 single beds locked together but you wouldn't really notice it) there was also some liqueur on the table which was a nice touch. One of the best things was the iPod dock/radio which was so handy! Also, the shower was amazing, I think it was a power shower?

The breakfast was really good. I had yogurt for starters, then we had some toast and I had a bacon sandwich. The bacon was a bit too thick cut for me. My partner had a full Scottish breakfast which he really enjoyed.

All in all, our stay was great and I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gemma S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

This B$B was recommended to me by a colleague and claimed it was a good place to stay. She was not wrong! I was greeted with a friendly smile from a little boy (presumably the owner's son). I received the keys to a room on the 2nd floor which had classic furnishing and a good size bed.
The view of the Edinburgh terraced housing gave you a feeling you were at "home" and thankful of the warm surroundings after coming in from a snow storm!
I was the first to arrive for breakfast in the morning; other guests may have had the luxury of eating at a slightly later time but I was ready for a traditional Scottish treat to see me through a tough morning at the office!
I had time to make some polite conversation with one of the morning staff, who has come to live in Edinburgh.from one of the European countries.
So all that remains for me to say is that I will recommend this family run establishment to anyone who enjoys quiet surroundings and a homely place to put your feet up after a long day!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Qam S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

There's only a couple of B&Bs I'll stay in but due to the contemporary styling of each room it has that hotel feel. My personal favourite is the complimentary mini caraf of port waiting for you in your room after a long journey. Great breakfast. Lovely accommodating hosts.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Catwalk19
Sandaig, Owner at Sandaig Guest House, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Hello catwalk19.
Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to read and I hope to see you again at The Sandaig.
Marina
Sarlat-la-caneda, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

I have stayed at Sandaig four times over the recent months. Every time I have stayed there I have been made to feel most welcome by Marina and her staff. The rooms are comfortable and very clean. The breakfasts are really nice and I have decided to make this my regular guest house to stay when I'm in Edinburgh. An added bonus is the free roadside parking just outside the house. As everyone knows Edinburgh has a terrible reputation for parking so it's a big plus to have the car nearby. There are also good pubs and restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor and the first floor are slightly better.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ewen53
Sandaig, Owner at Sandaig Guest House, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Thank you so much for posting your review. It is always a pleasure having you stay with us at Sandaig. Yes you are correct parking is terrible in Edinburgh, so we have the added bonus of free on street parking. I agree there are so many wonderful pubs and restaurants within walking distance to The Sandaig, it can sometime be difficult in knowing which one to choose. Looking forward to your next visit. Marina
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

Have stayed at this guest house twice now. The service and staff are outstanding - its unique focus on quality is also recognized by other's in the industry - we had dinner at Hadrian's (Down town Edinburgh) and when it was time to return to the Guest House, the doormen who ordered our taxi actually waxed poetic about The Sandaig. He said everyone in Leith Links knew it was the best guest house in the whole area. Nice validation for my taste in hotels ;-) This stay we were on the first floor - an advantage when there is no elevator. We had a slightly larger room but smaller bathroom - so if you are a bit claustrophobic, be sure to specify your requirements. As usual, everything was spotless and the breakfast was well worth getting up ;-) - Skip the waffles (a bit dry) but do try the yoghurt with muesli and home-made compote - delicious. The weather was better this time so we were able to take some advantage of the beautiful 'green' across from the hotel - I'm sure to return soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor if you have heavy suitcases - they do not have an elevator
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tantomile_11
Sandaig, Manager at Sandaig Guest House, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you so much for your review and thank you for deciding to return to The Sandaig. It is always a pleasure to meet returning guests. It is great to hear that we are know for our reputation and quality of service that we offer to our guests. Looking forward to seeing you again.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

This is my second stay at the Sandaig and it is just as good as it was the last time I stayed. It's really well situated on the Links and close to the shore and walking distance to the centre of Edinburgh if you don't want to take a bus. The rooms are thoughtfully decorated and presented, filled with all the comforts of home. The only thing that makes me chuckle is that there is a lovely decanter of whiskey for guests in each room but no water and after a night out on the tiles I really needed rehydration! My problem and not theirs! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Sandaig and I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: I stayed in the same room on the top floor and had a lovely quite night. It's at the front of t...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Lisa C
Sandaig, Owner at Sandaig Guest House, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Dear Lisa C

Thank you so much for your review on the Sandaig and great having you back for a second visit.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the sherry and will arrange to also put in some water for your next visit.

Many thanks again..
Warwickshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

This guest house is located in the area of Leith which is around 20 bus ride into the city centre of Edinburgh. Buses run regularly, there are two bus stops on the road outside of the guest house. The guest house had everything that we needed, nicely decorated room and bathroom, really powerful hot shower, close enough to the city centre. Was a nice touch to have a welcome drink of port in the room and nice complementary toiletries in the bathroom. We had breakfast included and glad that we'd paid extra for this as the breakfast was really nice. There was so much to choose from, fresh fruit, cereals, porridge, croissants, waffles, toast, omlettes, egg on toast or full Scottish cooked breakfast. It was all cooked fresh to order and tasted great. The breakfast waitress was lovely, always really happy and helpful.
The thing that I loved most about this guest house though was the bed. It was by far the comfiest bed I have ever slept in! Myself and my partner both slept so well every night. I'd definately recommend this guesthouse to anyone visiting Edinburgh for a break or business.

Room Tip: Room 10 has a really comfy bed and is quiet (although on 2nd floor so not for those with walking dif...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank biasco11
Sandaig, Owner at Sandaig Guest House, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Dear Biasco11

Delighted to hear that we offered everything that you needed and that you enjoyed the complimentary sherry.
We do pride ourselves on offering our guests a substantial quality breakfast and glad to hear you enjoyed it.
Wow, the comfiest bed you have ever slept in... that is great to know. Hope to see you again

Best wishes