Terrace Hotel
Hotel Twenty(Edinburgh)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscalton hillroyal terracelondon roadb btop floorgreat locationgorgeous buildingcity centrequiet streetroyal mileleith walklovely little hotelno elevatorspacious roomarthur's seatwithin easy walking distanceshared bathroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This hotel is tucked just on the outskirts of Edinburgh - 10 min walk to Princess Street.
The rooms are very comfortable and being set back from the main road it is very quiet too.
We went with our 18 month old son and they were incredibly accomodating giving us plenty of space and help.
Breakfast is great, I can highly recommend the full scottish and porridge!
The rooms are very clean and the staff friendly and helpful.
We have stayed here twice and I will definietly be visiting again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gigglesmudge
Reviewed 19 November 2013

In keeping with most of the reviews regarding Ann and Michael's guesthouse, I have to say that staying at the Terrace Hotel was lovely. Myself and my boyfriend stayed for four nights (13-17/11/13), and really could not have asked for a better experience. We had a double room with a shared bath on the first floor facing the street. The room and hotel in general is kept clean, tidy and very presentable, the bed sheets and bathroom were spotless and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Michael drove my boyfriend to the pharmacy to get me some medicine when I turned a mite ill, just to make sure he'd make it there in time before closing! The breakfast menu is awesome and the food freshly cooked (not all from scratch, but hey - do YOU always cook from scratch at home?). The location of the hotel is about 15 minutes walk from North bridge, set in a quiet street and it has free wi-fi. The only thing I'd wish for is a no cleaning needed-sign, since i don't really feel the need for new towels every day, but that's really a non-issue! I strongly recommend a stay here, and I daresay you shan't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Like some others have stated, this might not be the best hotel for you if you're in need of a lift, since there isn't one and there are no rooms no the ground floor. Next time, I'll throw in the extra cash and book a room tot he back with a separate bath just because. That being said, sharing the bathroom with another room really wasn't even noticeable so go for that unless you're lazy and/or need a close convenience like that.
2  Thank Nonejno
binty, Owner at Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Glad you enjoyed your stay!. Just to mention that ALL of the ingredients for your breakfast ARE cooked from scratch each morning. Starting about 6.30 am we precook some bacon and sausages - if we didnt do this we would be cooking forever once the breakfast rush arrives between 8 -9am. If we dont have enough we have to cook more. If we have too much we give it to the birds - nothing is recycled for guests - everything fresh and good quality!!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed at the Terrace Hotel for 2 nights when we were visiting Edinburgh to see the The Lion King. What a lovely hotel, in a quiet cobbled street just 5 minute walk from the Playhouse and 10 minutes to Princes Street. We had a lovely big warm room which faced the back of the house looking out on to the gardens and trees. Bed was really comfortable and although we were only there for 2 nights, our bed was made up and we were given fresh towels. There was plenty of room to hang up our clothes and there is a hairdryer in the drawer of the desk. Breakfast was really good, you could have any combination of the food on offer, and there was plenty. As well as the usual fried breakfast there were various cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruit, various fruit juices. We are both tea drinkers and on the 2nd morning the girl serving our table brought in tea without asking as she had remembered from the previous morning, a lovely touch. Would definately recommend this hotel and hope to return soon.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of the house and it was really quiet, didn't hear any outside noises
1  Thank kalli1999
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Me and my partner were coming up to Edinburgh for a friend's wedding and wanted to stay a couple of extra nights for a short break and booked 3 nights at the Terrace Hotel. The location was absolutely perfect in a gorgeous area of town - a very quiet (and stunningly beautiful) cobbled residential road, but only a very short walk (10 mins) into town and Princes Street, or Holyrood 5 mins down the road in the opposite direction, with stunning views of Arthur's Seat both ways. Our room was tastefully decorated and simple, with an extremely comfortable and warm bed, and everything was spotless and immaculately clean. Amazing choice of all different kinds of breakfast - cereals, fruit, croissants, porridge, and all kinds of hot food, me and my boyfriend are both vegetarian and there was a freshly cooked vegetarian breakfast that was lovely. The staff were very polite and really friendly, they even lent us an iron to iron our wedding outfits :) It was great value as well, think we paid £60 a night which is great value for such a lovely and central B&B. We'd like to come back to Edinburgh for a longer break, and we would definitely book the Terrace again,without question. Would strongly recommend it to anyone. Thanks so much for a really lovely stay :)

Room Tip: We had room 7 which was huge, with lovely views of the gardens out the front, and was totally silent. On second floor though so quite a few steps up! :)
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I could not agree less with the review below! I stayed here with my mother for two nights (21-22/10/13) and thought the establishment provided all that you could ask for from a b&b! The whole building was kept clean, tidy and very presentable, the bed sheets and bathroom were spotless and the staff were very friendly and helpful. There was a nice range of foods supplied for breakfast and I'm really very sure that the cooked breakfasts were freshly cooked (unlike other reviewers have suggested). The location is fantastic, a ten minute walk in either direction will take you to either Princes Street or the Royal Mile, past some lovely parts of Edinburgh. All in all, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: As others have mentioned, there is no lift in this hotel so if you have a problem carrying heavy cases, try and secure a room on the lower floors.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Evie480
binty, Owner at Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Thank you for your review. Hope you dont mind me adding info which I was unable to add to the previous review: viz: Further to my reply – not sure I understand the problem with ‘microwave’ – this is a very useful piece of equipment. Just to clarify – scrambled eggs = small amount of milk in glass bowl – break in 2 eggs whisk rapidly – microwave for 1 – 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Poached eggs – ceramic bowl containing boiling water break egg into white plastic cups sitting in water – microwave for 2 – 4 minutes. Porridge – ½ cup Scotts Porage Oats - original Scottish milled oats – the true taste of Scotland – 1 cup of water or milk – microwave for 2 – 3 minutes. Have asked my staff if they notice any smells when they come in – we are mystified – the breakfasts are cooked beside an open window in the kitchen and we don’t notice the cooking smells even reaching the hall. Have checked my receipts - and the room complained about actually had over £2000.00 spent on it this year. . Sorry these guests from previous review weren’t happy. Thank you for allowing me to give this info via your review.