“Recommended place to stay - no complaints at all” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arrandale Guest House

Arrandale Guest House
Ranked #167 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
glasgow
“Recommended place to stay - no complaints at all”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

Me and my partner stayed here whilst in the city for the fringe festival. I have no complaints or moans whatsoever for this guest house. From our arrival there was a nice greeting from the owner, the room was spotless clean, everything that you would expect from a guest house was there and also a few extras such as toiletries, shower gels etc in bathroom. Breakfast in the morning was made to order for each guest, all the items were lovely, we would definitley stay here again...... only minor thing was the rate of £80, this was probably due to the fringe festival and everywhere had increased their prices, but the advertised rates on the website for "normal" stays of around £50 is great value for money. Thanks for a lovely stay. Jon & Shaunna

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2011

Staying at Arrandale Guest House was a delightful experience. We arrived very late, midnight-ish, and there was Lis's daughter to welcome us, big smile on her face, despite the unfriendly time of the night. Next morning, another big smile, Lis's this time. Ready she was to feed us the best haggis around and to pour us all the tea and coffee we wanted.

We most certainly do recommend Arrandale Guest House and as for ourselves, we know exactly where we are staying next time we go to Edinburgh!

Anna and Maria

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank bebitz65
North Shields, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2010

My wife and I recently had a weekend break before our son is born. We booked a room at the Arrandale and were told we had to pay a deposit AND the full balance before we arrived. I have stayed in about 10 b&b's in Edinburgh over the years and this is the first time I have ever had to pay in advance!

The room... Well... Nice enough I guess unless you are 38 weeks pregnant - which my wife was! The room had a double and a single which meant the door to the en-suite only opened half way! The toilet seat was broken and the bathroom was very small.

The beds were very uncomfortable and the duvet felt like it was made of lead - haven't slept in a bed like that since the 80's. Speaking of which, that's the era of the TV we had! Although it did have a remote albeit a broken one, taped together!

We had a great weekend in a great city and will definately return but will NOT be staying at the Arrandale!!

Price was ok but much better B&Bs in the same street!

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank ProfessorScuzzi
lissiet, Owner at Arrandale Guest House, responded to this review, 5 November 2010
I was very disappointed and hurt to read the above review. I have had very many happy satisfied guests staying here, some of whom return frequently. Most guests are happy with the price and pay a deposit and are advised of the cancellation terms. I am sorry you were unhappy with your stay, but regret that you did not contact me at that time so that I could have improved things for you. I would have been most willing to see to your complaints on the spot, or offer you another room. I wish to assure any future, prospective guests that I maintain a good quality, 3 star guest house and any repairs or improvements are attended to promptly.
INDIA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2009

We stayed there for one week....it is very comfortable place, very near to bus stand.An indian take away is just few steps away...and caretaker is awesome.....

• Liked — conveniently located,
  • Disliked — room size is small
  • Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
lilah336
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2009

I've stayed in quite a few B 'n' Bs in the past, but this is the first time I've felt moved to write a review about one because staying at Arrandale was a truely unpleasant experience.

I telephone Arrandale to book a room for myself and my partner, and thought everything was fine after speaking to the member of staff. The next night at 11pm the owner telephoned to inform me that the person who took my booking forgot to ask me for my card details as a deposit. I found this very unprofessional.

Once at Arrandale the decor was a bit like being at your Grandmother's house. I found the owner quite rude and she appeared flustered when we spoke to her like asking to use the computer in the dining table, a service advertised.

Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank lilah336
Duluth, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2009

Our three-person family stayed here for three nights in late May and would not give this location more than a qualified C-. We were supposed to have a family room (expecting something a little bigger than a double) but were crammed together ala sardines in a room overlooking the street - one, by the way that included bus traffic, ambulances, motorcycles, loud noise, etc.
Not to be too critical of the place but it needs a good 'overhaul.' Lock on our door quit working after first nite, our bathroom ("en-suite?") was two door down and, to use it, of course, one had to be completely awake and use key-locks to enter and leave. This was an imposition on our sleep to say the least.
Parking was ok, that is IF you were the first one there with an automobile and planned to leave it parked for the duration of the stay, which, of course, we did.
Breakfast was pretty good, with good choice of items (other than the standard "English Breakfast" which most Americans do not like, by the way.
My worst gripe was with the check in. I had to fill out paperwork before I was allowed to unload our luggage - even though I had pre-paid the first night! Lis had all the info on us and waiting until I filled out information that she had already was maddening. I sensed that she was a bit paranoid of strangers, foreigners and particularly Americans.
The one thing that irritated me the most? Charging 1 pound per hour for the internet! This was the only charge I paid during our 28-day, 26 B&B trip around Great Britain!
There are better choices in Edinburgh and even better ones in the same area. if you go, strike this one from your thoughts and try another one (which may not be any better, but then, it won't take much to match or beat this place.)

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GwinnettTraveler
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2007

We stayed at Arrandale Guest House in May 2006 for 3 nights and found the owner, Lis, very helpful and friendly.

We arrived quite late at night, almost midnight, but Lis had ensured that someone was around to let us check-in. For the rest of our stay, there was no curfew, so it was ideal for us when we were exploring the city by night.

Breakfast was good, and service was good (i.e our cooked breakfasts arrived nice and warm...and on time! :) ). I guess it helped that you pre-order breakfast the night before so that the cooks can schedule your breakfast.

The room we had was very comfortable and of good size - with 2 large single beds / 2 small double beds. Our bathroom and shower were working fine during our stay. Our rooms were cleaned daily and no complaints about the level of cleaniness during our stay. :)

Location-wise, it was ideal for us. We could walk into town within 20 min. However, if you don't feel like walking, there is a bus stop a few minutes walk away, with very frequent bus service. (and we were impressed by how punctual the buses were! :) ) Can't comment on parking as we didn't drive while we were there. We could very easily find good reasonably-priced food within walking distance of the B&B.

The whole road is full of B&Bs, and Arrandale Guest House is towards the end of the road, so, is quieter but still near enough to all amenities.

On check-out in the morning, we left our luggage with Lis for the day before we left Edinburgh in the evening.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and we believe that it was really good value for money. Thank you Lis for your wonderful warm Scottish hospitality! :)

• Liked — Excellent value budget accommodation, warm hospitality, efficient service, location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple