“Disappointed”

Arrandale Guest House
Ranked #134 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 May 2012

After reading so many reviews in a positive light we thought we had found an excellent Guest house at a bargain price but soon realised that this was really the only thing that we felt was positive, apart from the fact that it was situated just a mile or so from the city and within walking distance.
The double bed in the room we were in (Room 1 downstairs on ground floor) is so close to the ensuite you can literally stick your leg out just one foot from the bed to close the door. The ensuite itself is so small it is breathing room only and above the sink was disgusting as it appeared the tiles were missing which left the old glue which looked very dirty. Apart from that the shower itself was blocked and the basin kept filling up with water during your shower. yuk!
The room itself was not very clean with crumbs all over the carpets under the furniture from the last occupiers.
Then you go into the drawers to put some things away and find that you are about to be met by again the previous occupiers hairs from their head as well as more crumbs of food. Could not believe our eyes!

On the day we travelled there ( a three hour journey) we were told that there would be no one available to let us in between the hours of 1-6pm, even though it says on the website that you could check in between 9am and 11pm.
Although we did originally say we would be arriving at midday, we were delayed and knew we would not get there till after 2pm which then meant there would be no one to meet us at the door to welcome us or give us advice should we need it
This was done by voicemail on our mobile phone and when we tried to call back, no one answered so we had no choice but to leave a message which we then got a response from by text saying exactly the same thing that "no one would be there between those times to let us in" so we were literally stuck with no where to go.
We then text back to say that we needed to be in the guest house as we had to be somewhere by seven thirty and needed somewhere to shower and change after our journey. It was only after stating this that we were then sent another text saying we could pick keys up from someone else's guesthouse if we did not mind letting outselves in and going to get the keys. We were told the name of the guesthouse but not the number on the street so when we arrived we had no clue which direction to take so spent a good half hour looking for this other guesthouse. What choice did we have? This late in the day none!
We were then shocked to be told the next day that the reason for no one being there was because one of the young girls who worked for the owner was not answerng her phone so it made us realise that even as a business she did not see importance of even standing in herself to give the keys.
So the moral of this story is, book if you desire but dont put any expectations of cleanliness on your choice if you do still choose still to be at this guesthouse. I feel if you are from another country you are also more likely to get more chit chat from the owner as we witnessed during our stay there. So no we definitely will not be going back. Cheap yes, but cheerful no.

Room Tip: Do not choose room number one unless you are stick thin because the onsuite is really breathing room...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank magsy64
ArrandaleGuestHouse, Owner at Arrandale Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

I would like to assure potential visitors that we try very hard to provide our guests with a pleasurable stay at the Arrandale. I apologise for the shortcomings that this guests experienced - these have been promptly attended to and rectified in our attempt to maintain our high standards.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

Great Hospitality, Great Room, Great Breakfast. 20 mins walk to the main town.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank HumptyWFC
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We were booked at the Arrandale guest house through the tourist information center for one night in Edinburgh. We booked it last minute and were very pleased with our accomodations. The beds were very comfortable, Lis was kind and definitely devoted to making sure that we had a very pleasant night's stay. We arrived later in the evening and left first thing, but it made an impression. We knew we were coming back through Edinburgh later in the week, but hadn't had time to make arrangements with Lis. We ended up calling two days later to request a room for the weekend. Sure enough, she had a room available for us. It was a very comfortable room, with a nice bathroom, provided towels and toiletries, vaulted ceilings, and the list goes on. There was an extensive list of items to choose from for our freshly made breakfast which was delicious! Lis made every effort to make sure we were happy. When we made addtional requests, she was quick to accomodate us.

I was shocked to see other negative reviews for this location! It was a quick and very easy bus trip, the price was great, and we truly felt like we were guests in Lis' home. This was easily the best place we stayed in our entire 15 day stay in the UK (at our price range, of course). Thanks Lis!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We were so excited to do some sight-seeing in Edinburgh which meant that we were sorely disappointed when we got to Arrandale Guest House only to find that nobody was there and we could not check in. We waited for FOUR hours before the owner finally arrived without as much as an apology, I had to ask for that! Apparently the lady who cleaned the accommodation was unaware that she had to let us in!!!
Our only afternoon in Edinburgh wasted.
The breakfast the following morning was not to the standard we'd received elsewhere. The eggs were barely even cooked.
What a terrible time we had at Arrandale.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay at Arrandale!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Monique R
ArrandaleGuestHouse, Owner at Arrandale Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2011

I am very sorry to see your complaint on Tripadvisor. I was indeed very apologetic about you being unable to gain access to the guest house earlier in the afternoon and reduced your bill by £10 accordingly. I discovered the reason for this failure and have taken steps to rectify this matter. I can assure you, that there will always be someone here to welcome guests on their arrival. I am also very sorry to hear that the eggs weren't cooked to your liking - I would have happily cooked them some more for you, if you had asked. I would like assure readers of this that I receive many compliments for my generous, freshly-cooked breakfasts. Please do not let this one complaint put you off staying here. I have many happy visitors - last night, 5 of my 6 rooms were let to previous visitors who had returned.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

Me and my partner stayed here whilst in the city for the fringe festival. I have no complaints or moans whatsoever for this guest house. From our arrival there was a nice greeting from the owner, the room was spotless clean, everything that you would expect from a guest house was there and also a few extras such as toiletries, shower gels etc in bathroom. Breakfast in the morning was made to order for each guest, all the items were lovely, we would definitley stay here again...... only minor thing was the rate of £80, this was probably due to the fringe festival and everywhere had increased their prices, but the advertised rates on the website for "normal" stays of around £50 is great value for money. Thanks for a lovely stay. Jon & Shaunna

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Staying at Arrandale Guest House was a delightful experience. We arrived very late, midnight-ish, and there was Lis's daughter to welcome us, big smile on her face, despite the unfriendly time of the night. Next morning, another big smile, Lis's this time. Ready she was to feed us the best haggis around and to pour us all the tea and coffee we wanted.

We most certainly do recommend Arrandale Guest House and as for ourselves, we know exactly where we are staying next time we go to Edinburgh!

Anna and Maria

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank bebitz65
Reviewed 22 October 2010

My wife and I recently had a weekend break before our son is born. We booked a room at the Arrandale and were told we had to pay a deposit AND the full balance before we arrived. I have stayed in about 10 b&b's in Edinburgh over the years and this is the first time I have ever had to pay in advance!

The room... Well... Nice enough I guess unless you are 38 weeks pregnant - which my wife was! The room had a double and a single which meant the door to the en-suite only opened half way! The toilet seat was broken and the bathroom was very small.

The beds were very uncomfortable and the duvet felt like it was made of lead - haven't slept in a bed like that since the 80's. Speaking of which, that's the era of the TV we had! Although it did have a remote albeit a broken one, taped together!

We had a great weekend in a great city and will definately return but will NOT be staying at the Arrandale!!

Price was ok but much better B&Bs in the same street!

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank ProfessorScuzzi
lissiet, Owner at Arrandale Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2010

I was very disappointed and hurt to read the above review. I have had very many happy satisfied guests staying here, some of whom return frequently. Most guests are happy with the price and pay a deposit and are advised of the cancellation terms. I am sorry you were unhappy with your stay, but regret that you did not contact me at that time so that I could have improved things for you. I would have been most willing to see to your complaints on the spot, or offer you another room. I wish to assure any future, prospective guests that I maintain a good quality, 3 star guest house and any repairs or improvements are attended to promptly.