“Cosy and friendly”

Cuisines: Italian, Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Reviewed 21 March 2016 via mobile

We visited on a Sunday evening, newly arrived for a few days in Edinburgh and found this place with a lovely atmosphere and several full tables. It felt like a proper neighbourhood restaurant. The waitress told us that they had expected to be quite so she was on alone, however she did an excellent job and was very sweet and friendly. Lovely house wine, crispy calamari, tasty pizzas and a great Caesar salad later we were all stuffed!

Reviewed 20 March 2016

There were four of us. We skipped starters and ordered mains: two pizzas, one risotto and one spaghetti dish. After a 40 minute wait, the fire alarm in the restaurant went off. It was - not surprisingly - really loud and very disruptive. The staff didn't really know how to switch it off - it took them a good couple of minutes! Soon after, our food arrived (after about 50 minutes in total). It was immediately obvious to us what triggered the fire alarm in the first place - our pizzas! They were burnt, and some bits were just inedible (see attached pictures). We were all very hungry, and the two of us who ordered pizzas decided to eat their edible parts, as no one wanted to wait for another 50 minutes. The risotto was ok, but very very bland - required lots of salt and pepper to become tasty. The spaghetti was apparently tasty (but it's my boyfriend's opinion - he will eat anything). Next, we ordered deserts - panna cotta, tiramisu, and ice-cream - which were all really tasty (but the ice-cream selection was poor: vanilla or chocolate).
The staff took their time - to take orders, bring drinks, and definitely to take pizza out of the oven! On our way out we noticed another client with a completely burnt pizza - it seems that this is just the way they serve it there.
I would definitely not recommend and none of us will ever go there again.

Reviewed 18 March 2016 via mobile

We ate here and had the 3 course set lunch menu at £9.95 each. I had a goats cheese salad for starters, an absolutely delicious twisted type of ravioli stuffed cheese and pear and banoffee pie for pudding. The main course pasta was absolutely first rate- top quality. There were about 10 choices for the set menu including sea bass, pizza, chicken and other pasta dishes. I was surprised that there weren't that many people in the restaurant considering it was Friday lunch time, but it was a cold March day. We also had a glass of red wine each and an expression coffee after and the bill came to £28.90 which I thought was extremely good value for the quality. I would go there again.

Reviewed 18 March 2016 via mobile

After a morning exploring New Town, we had the fixed price lunch at Papavero. Excellent quality food and service for just £9.95 a head for 3 courses. Couldn't help but notice that Jamie's on George Street was charging £14.95 for 3 courses - I know which I think was better quality as well as value.

Reviewed 18 March 2016

My husband and I have eaten here on several occasions and we always choose a pizza as they are some of the best that we have ever eaten!
The service is really good and the staff are lovely.
Highly recommended.