“What a great find!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“What a great find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2014

Had problems finding a city center hotel that weekend so did some research on guest houses and B&Bs and came across Highfield Guest House on booking.com. It has very good reviews so I thought I should give it a try. I was not disappointed as the service from booking to breakfast and check out was excellent! We were given Room 3 that was immaculately decorated - cosy and classy with nice fresh smelling linens. The double bed was the one of the most, if not the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. They were also generous with tea and coffee making facilities. We arrived very late (close to midnight) and were very tired after a long journey from south and were very grateful with their generosity for letting us stay until 12pm. Thanks Kate, Gordon, Maggie.

Room Tip: I've not seen other rooms but Room 3 is lovely!
  • Stayed December 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CookieMon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2014

Warm welcome from Maggie and shown to our room which was room 5 on the ground floor immaculate decor with a pretty view on to the rear garden. Have seen this described as small , we found it compact and comfortable with a good use of space and great thought given to guests needs.First time I have stayed anywhere that wine glasses and a corkscrew have been available, good range of hot beverages.
We were going shopping and to the Playhouse and Maggie gave great details on public transport and places to go and it was a short journey in to the city. We walked back a good part of the way and then took a short reasonably priced taxi journey.
Breakfast for me continental, fruit juice, a choice of cereals and fruit, yoghurts , toast croissants. Hubby had a cooked breakfast which he enjoyed .
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be back

• Stayed December 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank roughcaster
Ballymena, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2014

First time we exchanged a hotel for a guest house and were blown away by the 4 star standard.maggie , Kate and Gordon certainly know how to welcome and treat their. Guests.the room was tastefully decorated,very clean with spacious and everything you would need and may even have forgotten.the breakfast-well nothing short of excellent! The hosts were not intrusive but very helpful and friendly.certainly will be staying here again.forget the hotels!!

• Stayed November 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Ellie2662
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2014 via mobile

Well I am delighted we booked this guesthouse from the minute we got there we were very impressed with the very warm welcome we received and we were given a detailed map of the area handwritten for us to get around Edinburgh which was a really plus for us and then when we saw our room i was very happy. The room had everything we needed from tea/coffee to the really nice bathroom accessories and free wifi....I know it's not in the center of Edinburgh but it was only 8 pounds for a taxi and there are plenty of buses passing by...I really can't find anything bad to say about this place It is really good.
Sorry forgot to mention breakfast..that to was delicious...

Stayed November 2014, travelled with family
Province of Lecco, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights in August and was very impressed. My single room wasn't ensuite but I had my own private bathroom, with key, just along the corridor. The bedroom was furnished simply, with single bed, small armchair, wardrobe and desk and wasn't huge but certainly spacious enough for a single traveller. The high ceilings made it seem bigger than it is so I felt very comfortable and not 'squashed.'
The breakfast choice was abundant, as were the portions, and the food was extremely good quality. And the breakfast room was light and airy so you didn't feel 'elbow to elbow' with the other guests.
What set Highfield apart for me though was the extreme helpfulness of the hosts, particularly for a first time visitor to Edinburgh, like myself. In my room there was a map of the city on which they'd marked out the bus routes and numbers and where to catch them. And Gordon also went through the map with me to explain it in more detail, giving advice on buses, taxis, where the best Fringe events were happening, and how long it would take to walk into the city centre (25minutes if you're feeling energetic, and it's mostly downhill!) In addition my room also had a huge amount of leaflets and magazines about the Festival, Fringe and other attractions.
So, if you're new to Edinburgh and want a good quality base with some very useful tourist advice, I would recommend Highfield without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank LaStorione
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2014 via mobile

Staff/owners are really kind and thoughtful. We felt very welcome. Breakfast is delicious and the room very comfortable. A very nice surprise for a special occasion also. It's warm, it's like a home away from home. Will be back someday for sure. Thank you!

Stayed October 2014, travelled as a couple
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2014

I stayed in this guest house as it was in close proximity to the Observatory, where I was conducting a weeks work experience. The staff that run the guest house, upon my arrival, informed me about the breakfast services, nearby restaurants, bus and taxi services and throughout my stay were only to kind to help accommodate my needs.

Its location is also ideal for those wishing to stay at a slightly quieter location than the centre itself, but close enough that the Royal mile is only a 15 minute walk away. The wifi and tv were welcomed, along with the kettle and en suite facilities. Daily cleans of the room ensured I always had fresh towels and a made bed.

Overall a fantastic experience for someone on their first solo stay away from home. Would definitely stay there again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2014, travelled solo