“Outstanding place to stay.”
Review of Inchgrove House

Inchgrove House
Ranked #140 of 389 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
newcastle
“Outstanding place to stay.”
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I have just returned from this lovely place. I got engaged whilst I was in Edinburgh. Inchgrove House is a truely wonderful place to stay. It is within easy reach of George Street/Princes Street/Rose Street. The people who run this bed and breakfast are lovely people. They'll cook you an excellent breakfast (keeps you full for hours!) and treat you like a house guest and not just another room number. I had great chats with the owners who'll provide you with endless amounts of information about Edinburgh. They are real genuine people who seem to have a real interest in their guests and in their work. We'll definately stay there again when we're next in Edinburgh. 10 out of 10. Many thanks.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I visited with my partner who was in Edinburgh for business but mine was for pure relaxation hence choosing against the 5* reviews. It was a three night stay. I made a call three weeks prior to the visit only to be curtly told they were full with no evidence of checking any reservation book etc (I should have taken heed). However I called again a week later to be told that they had availability and duly booked. I confirmed by email & received a confirmation back!
On arrival my partner had to complete the register with our full name & address(see later). The building was beautiful an old Victorian terrace with a great staircase. The room was large but the familiarity of the decor soon became apparant. Fabrics for curtains & bed throw were the same as from my own bedroom - back in the late 80's with a great big dark stain on the bed throw. The television was also something from the same era and displayed more snow than Aviemore. When I asked about getting it sorted I was given on more that one occassion that it was due to the bad weather from the week before (despite it being a small indoor ariel) and with someone coming to repair it. Another lie!
I felt that the host Duncan was merely being polite through gritted teeth!
The best was when both my partner & I were in bed and the whole electrics blew in the room (my partner went to switch on his bedside lamp!). We ended up not going downstairs as we couldn't find our clothes in the dark. Miracoulously the power was switched back on in the morning. When I mentioned what had happened it appears that Duncan just happened to check the fuse box and notice it was off. I have never had to check a fuse box nor know anybody else do the same unless there was a reason. this begs the question did he know of the problem but did nothing until the next morning.
The internet access was none existent despite being given the details (one might be cynical in believing that to be awkward it had been switched off). The other gripe was that the bathrrom floor tiles had no plinth covering the sharp edges in the doorway despite them being raised considerably above the carpet level.
Coat hangers were literally none existent - three, in a double bedroom.
The shower curtain was inadequate, water went fromn scolding hot to freezing cold before you could finish and flooded the bathroom. We had to use a towel to absorb the water. On returning to the room at the end of the day this had been put on the radiator and never changed during our stay.
My partner checked out as I was too angry with the whole fiasco, the lies and the cost. No compensation was offered nor was a bill provided. It was promised to be sent. Another lie as to date it has not been received either by email or post despite my partner leaving a message.
I would suggest anybody going here that beleives they are getting luxury and good basic facilities beyond the architecture, will find that these are none existant.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank KerryB001
Lindsay, Ontario
Reviewed 8 January 2011

The first night of our honeymoon, we were booked into Inchgrove House, an amazing B&B just a street or two away from downtown Edinburgh. We couldn't have asked to be closer to anything, yet felt we were off the beaten path as everything was so quiety and elegant.
Our room was huge and fabulously decorated in period style, overlooking backyard gardens......beautiful and an exciting treat to start off our new marriage. Breakfast was unbelievable: you could have anything you wanted, including black pudding and haggis, and it was served in an elegant dining room at a huge table where you got to meet and chat with other guests.....a nice start to the day to compare tips and plans. The hosts - Duncan and Walter - were a wealth of knowledge about things to do, history, literature....just about anything. :) Breakfast was a real treat as they came to chat once they had finished cooking.
If you want to treat yourself, then stay here.....it's well worth it.....enjoy!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Scotland
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Duncan and Walter made a short trip to Edinburgh very special. The guest house is beautiful with many original features. The communal breakfast table was a wonderful addition and it was a nice start to the day hearing about what the other guests had planned. The breakfast provided was extensive more choice than I have been given at some of the 5* Hotels in Scotland. We met a lovely couple from Germany who were having a wonderful time in Scotland. It was nice to give them some ideas about places to visit.
The location is great you are within 5 mins walk of Princess Street and George Street. The bus stop, for those wishing to venture further was only 2 mins away. If returning to Edinburgh for business or pleasure I would not go anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2010

This B&B has a great location, literally 5-10 mins walk down a side street off Princes Street, far enough away to avoid the noise but close enough to have everything at your fingertips.

The hospitality of our hosts, Duncan and Walter, was second to none, and breakfast was outstanding. Plentiful, freshly prepared and cooked, and very hot.

I loved the big table at breakfast, which encourages guests to talk about their plans and experiences, rather than sit at your own little table for two not saying boo to a goose.

The building is fantastically old and grand, and retains many original features.

Unfortunately, the plumbing let the whole place down. We are in the 21st century and the price we paid for the weekend was more than our 6-monthly gas bill (in winter), so therefore feel we have a basic right to expect hot running water when we want it. In true Georgian style, for two out of three baths (after the first shower attempt we gave up) we had to fill kettles. At times, we didn't even have cold running water!

On the whole the room was clean and comfortable, but the soft furnishings (bedspread etc) could do with a good wash. Additionally, the bedroom window wouldn't open, the bathroom window wouldn't close and the TV reception was non-existent.

Sort the plumbing and wash the soft furnishings a bit more regularly and the place would be worth staying at. But I could not recommend it to ma friend unless they are prepared to overlook the faults just to get a fantastic breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SBB091206
UK
Reviewed 17 August 2009

I have to say that Inchgrove House is one of those true gems that you always struggle to find. Completely by accident a couple of years ago my PA stumbled across Inchgrove House for a business trip to Edinburgh and I can honestly say that I have not stayed anywhere else since, whether returning for business or pleasure.

The friendliness of Duncan and Walter is unsurpassed and nothing at all is too much trouble, especially the fantastic breakfast served around the communal table in the Dining Room. The location is great as the B&B is close enough to Princes St and George St but yet still in a nice quiet part of the new town.

The rooms are very grand indeed, and very far removed from a new fancy boutique hotel, but this is where the charm of Inchgrove House really sets it apart from a desolate hotel.

I have stayed at Inchgrove House many times now and for me it is the best place I have found for both value and location.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Loved the bed, loved the room, loved the food, loved the owners. Kind, helpful, courteous, warm and darn good cooks. This is like staying at your favorite uncle's house, if your favorite uncle happens to live in a beautifully restored old Georgian in Edinburgh and happens to be a gourmet cook... Go there!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple