“First class service”
Review of Inchgrove House

Inchgrove House
Ranked #124 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Me and my wife stayed in 21st oct we got there late but was welcomed by Duncan very nice and well mannered man the food was first class been in a few hotels around Edinburgh and non comes close to Inchgrove it's only 3 mins walk into city centre this is a ideal place to go from as a base nice quiet area parked car free which is also a plus as ncp car parks cost around £40+ for the weekend

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Bonkeydollocks

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Innkeepers, Walter and Duncan, put out quite a spread for breakfast in this town home turned B&B near Moray Place, a short walk from the sights of Edinburgh. Duncan's knowledge of the history of Great Britain and his tips for local attractions and eateries make him an invaluable resource. I cannot say enough about the hospitality and quality of their breakfast. Truly impressive. A local businessman prefers to stay here over hotels in the area. Our room was spacious, elegant and outfitted with everything one needs for comfort. Soaring ceilings in bed and bath, expansive windows with handsome draperies, shortbread cookies, coffee, tea always ready by our fireplace, made it a wonderful vacation experience. There is no way you won't love this place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank winslow u
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We are 2 welsh ladies who stayed in the inchgrove for 3 nights.
We booked on line and was not disapointed the location was great the building was amazing high ceilings beautiful old features that you don't get in modern hotels the beds were comfortable the rooms
very spacious and the decour suited the period of the building. The breakfast was to die for the choice
was unlimiting the quality presentation and the taste of the food was A*
The best breakfast we have ever tasted we said around a large table with the other guests which was very enjoyable and lovely to hear their experiences in edinburgh. Duncan and Walter were very welcoming and nothing was to much trouble. This is the best hotel that we have stayed in in Edingburgh.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 25 May 2011

Would definitely stay there again. No complaints at all. We were really looked after. Magnificent breakfast. Very central to everything, walking distance. Loved our room.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I have just returned from this lovely place. I got engaged whilst I was in Edinburgh. Inchgrove House is a truely wonderful place to stay. It is within easy reach of George Street/Princes Street/Rose Street. The people who run this bed and breakfast are lovely people. They'll cook you an excellent breakfast (keeps you full for hours!) and treat you like a house guest and not just another room number. I had great chats with the owners who'll provide you with endless amounts of information about Edinburgh. They are real genuine people who seem to have a real interest in their guests and in their work. We'll definately stay there again when we're next in Edinburgh. 10 out of 10. Many thanks.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I visited with my partner who was in Edinburgh for business but mine was for pure relaxation hence choosing against the 5* reviews. It was a three night stay. I made a call three weeks prior to the visit only to be curtly told they were full with no evidence of checking any reservation book etc (I should have taken heed). However I called again a week later to be told that they had availability and duly booked. I confirmed by email & received a confirmation back!
On arrival my partner had to complete the register with our full name & address(see later). The building was beautiful an old Victorian terrace with a great staircase. The room was large but the familiarity of the decor soon became apparant. Fabrics for curtains & bed throw were the same as from my own bedroom - back in the late 80's with a great big dark stain on the bed throw. The television was also something from the same era and displayed more snow than Aviemore. When I asked about getting it sorted I was given on more that one occassion that it was due to the bad weather from the week before (despite it being a small indoor ariel) and with someone coming to repair it. Another lie!
I felt that the host Duncan was merely being polite through gritted teeth!
The best was when both my partner & I were in bed and the whole electrics blew in the room (my partner went to switch on his bedside lamp!). We ended up not going downstairs as we couldn't find our clothes in the dark. Miracoulously the power was switched back on in the morning. When I mentioned what had happened it appears that Duncan just happened to check the fuse box and notice it was off. I have never had to check a fuse box nor know anybody else do the same unless there was a reason. this begs the question did he know of the problem but did nothing until the next morning.
The internet access was none existent despite being given the details (one might be cynical in believing that to be awkward it had been switched off). The other gripe was that the bathrrom floor tiles had no plinth covering the sharp edges in the doorway despite them being raised considerably above the carpet level.
Coat hangers were literally none existent - three, in a double bedroom.
The shower curtain was inadequate, water went fromn scolding hot to freezing cold before you could finish and flooded the bathroom. We had to use a towel to absorb the water. On returning to the room at the end of the day this had been put on the radiator and never changed during our stay.
My partner checked out as I was too angry with the whole fiasco, the lies and the cost. No compensation was offered nor was a bill provided. It was promised to be sent. Another lie as to date it has not been received either by email or post despite my partner leaving a message.
I would suggest anybody going here that beleives they are getting luxury and good basic facilities beyond the architecture, will find that these are none existant.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank KerryB001
Reviewed 8 January 2011

The first night of our honeymoon, we were booked into Inchgrove House, an amazing B&B just a street or two away from downtown Edinburgh. We couldn't have asked to be closer to anything, yet felt we were off the beaten path as everything was so quiety and elegant.
Our room was huge and fabulously decorated in period style, overlooking backyard gardens......beautiful and an exciting treat to start off our new marriage. Breakfast was unbelievable: you could have anything you wanted, including black pudding and haggis, and it was served in an elegant dining room at a huge table where you got to meet and chat with other guests.....a nice start to the day to compare tips and plans. The hosts - Duncan and Walter - were a wealth of knowledge about things to do, history, literature....just about anything. :) Breakfast was a real treat as they came to chat once they had finished cooking.
If you want to treat yourself, then stay here.....it's well worth it.....enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple