“Cheap and cheerful basic accomodation”

Euro Hostel Edinburgh Halls
Ranked #158 of 205 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
North East England
“Cheap and cheerful basic accomodation”
Reviewed 22 June 2010

Partner and I popped up to Edinburgh on the spur-of-the-moment on Satruday afternoon to kick-back and let our hair down after a very stressful week, and booked into the hostel after being turned away from several other places which were fully booked.
We weren't looking for anything lavish or romantic, just somewhere comfortable, clean and secure to rest our heads after a good night out. This place fitted the bill perfectly. Ear plugs are supplied with the bed linen, which proved useful. I particularly liked the fact that towels and soap were provided. I've stayed in other hostels where they weren't.
I would recommend this place to anyone looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful to sleep after a night out, but not to anyone looking for a romantic, peaceful night together. If we'd wanted that, I think we'd have been disappointed.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2009

This hostel was perfect! The price was low and the rooms were clean. I really enjoyed having a private room! Everything in the room was neat, and it was more spacious than I expected.

The bathrooms were clean, and I actually never saw another person there. Only a few people share each bathroom.

There's a noisy club nearby, so you might want to bring some kind of white noise or earplugs. It didn't keep me from sleeping, though.

The location is great--just seconds from the Royal Mile.

I believe this hostel is available only in the summer. This was a great find! I would recommend it to anyone. The only thing that would make it better is internet.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
EHEd, Manager at Euro Hostel Edinburgh Halls, responded to this review, 30 September 2009
Hi Carrie,
Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I'd just like to add that we have finally sourced an internet/WiFi provider that will do a short-term project for next summer (2010). We are open from June 11 next year and will have 3 x Internet kiosks in a dedicated room and WiFi in the reception/lounge area.
Cheers,
Steve Mackenzie- Manager
Glasgow
Reviewed 14 July 2009

After arriving slightly early to the hostel, we were advised to put our bags in the luggage storage which was what appeared to be a very unsecure room just adjacent to the reception...it did state that bags were left at guests on risk and it appeared that as anyone could just walk in off the street and lift your bags there was slightly too much risk for me to take the chance. When we entered our room I found it to be clean and tidy, however the beds were very uncomfortable and I am certain I have bed bug bites as I have small red sores which werent there before sleeping in the bed and have not stopped itching, during and since, we were woken up about three or four times during the night with guests and on one occasion a euro hostel worker (as my partner looked out the window and seen the euro hostel polo shirt!) standing outside chatting at all hours of the night. On leaving the hostel, I was awaiting the gentleman at reception even casually asking 'how was your stay?' which I would have expected as a mere sign of customer service but nothing, on returning ur key, he gave us back our deposit slip and said 'there you go, done!' to which I thought...yes we certainly have been 'done'! Especially because we paid 46 pound for a twin room for one night and I overheard another guest telling someone they have paid 19 pounds each for the same night and also a twin room!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
EHEd, Manager at Euro Hostel Edinburgh Halls, responded to this review, 16 July 2009
Hi Emma,

Thanks for the feedback. We take all comments seriously and investigate and act upon them as soon as possible.

As you have said in your comments, we provide a luggage storeroom for those that want to use it. Yes, it is unsecured, and in the 6 years we have been running the temporary Edinburgh summer property, we have had but 1 incident…. (a guest left their duty free shopping bag open and a carton of cigarettes was taken). This luggage store is purely a service that can be used if so desired. Many hotels do not offer such a service at all.

We operate 253 beds at around 95% occupancy for 87 days of summer. On the date you stayed we had the T In The Park festival on and were 100% full the night before your arrival. We then turned over 220 departures on that day. All rooms were ready by the advertised 3pm check-in time. When you were making the reservation on our website you will remember being offered the early check-in option I’m sure. If this option had been taken you could have gone straight into your room at midday as we literally move the housekeepers to these rooms first to ensure they are ready for those arriving early.

I have also thoroughly inspected your room for the alleged ‘bed bugs’ and have not found anything at all. I assume, if you could hear chatting in the car park from the 5th floor, that you were sleeping with your window open. I would say it is more likely you had an encounter with some midgies or even mosquitoes.

In fact, we have never had bed bugs here. We lease the building from the university while the students are on summer vacation and open from June 14 until September 6th this year. Before we take possession the whole building has pest extermination throughout. Bed bugs are brought in on other guests’ luggage so can happen at any time of course, but as said above, we take all comments seriously and investigate thoroughly. Sorry, but I couldn’t find anything at all.

On the evening in question I was the Duty Manager. I was in fact chatting to some guests downstairs as you say but I left to go home at 11pm. I didn’t think it was that late to be chatting but do apologise for the noise and will remember for the future. I have spoken to the night receptionist and he assures me he was in reception the whole night. If this is not the case please let me know at stevem@euro-hostels.co.uk.

We manage our rates just like the budget airlines and almost all hotels in the world. We start low and as time passes the rates increase. I’m sure you are aware that 1p flights are usually for the first 20-odd seats sold and then after that the rate obviously goes up. We operate exactly the same way. We start at £19 per person and then we raise the prices as occupancy increases. On a midweek day such as your stay on Monday, the maximum price is £26 per person. You booked on the 6th of July for a 13th July stay and as such paid more than the guest that got the £38 deal as they had clearly booked earlier than you did.

And finally… I was also the staff member on the early shift when you checked out. Once again I can only apologise for not taking more time with returning your key deposit slip. Unfortunately it is a little too easy to forget to treat each guest with a smile. I do remember being quite cheerful as I said... 'There you go... done' as I do remember serving you. Our staff rating on most agent websites is over 90%. We pride ourselves on personal service but it appears I have let the team down here. Sorry.

Cheers,
Steve Mackenzie

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

brisbane
Reviewed 19 May 2009

sercurity poor, extremly noisy,lift broke, locks broken to our section of the building,poor service,convenient location only positive,not for families.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank milesBrisbane
Hi Miles,
Thanks for the review. We take all reviews seriously and try to act on them as soon as possible. Your stay was in August of '08 and I only wish you had have put this up closer to the time of your stay. I will address each area individually;
Security Poor- I do find this a little hard to understand actually. Each guest is given 2 keys. One to the front door of their apartment and one to their bedroom. The apartment keys are obviously the same for each person staying in the apartment but the bedroom keys are all different of course. Each room is fully lockable so I fail to see how this is unsecure. You say that the lock to your 'section of the building' was broken. If by this you mean the apartment, I do wish you had've informed us at the time. As we lease the building from the university while the students are on summer vacation we have a locksmith on call 24 hours.
Extremely Noisy- Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about this. The windows are double glazed but this is the 'compromise' for being absolute city-centre. We will, however, now be leaving earplugs on every bed in street-facing apartments for 2010.
Lift Broke- In January of this year the university spent over £20k refurbishing the lift. Although we still had a couple of problems this year, they have again spent more money during August and it is perfect now.
Poor Service- This one is very disappointing. We generally score well over 85% on various agent ratings. If you did not receive our best attention I do apologise.
Not For Families- Once again this is disappointing. As we sell whole apartments as well as rooms within shared apartments our family stayers are increasing all the time. Families will generally take an apartment to themselves, at the same rate as a family room in a hotel, and usually love the convenience of their own flat (3, 4 or 5 person) with their own kitchen and lounge area. I can only assume you took a couple of rooms within an apartment.
Please do not hesitate to contact me on stevem@euro-hostels.co.uk should you wish to discuss this further.
Kind regards,
Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2008

This hostel is located in the university student accommodation and is normally only available to book during the summer holidays. The hostel in Robinson Close is on Cowgate and only one/two minutes walk up a hill to the Royal Mile (Castle around 5 minutes away).

The accommodation is made up of three, four or six room flats. Each room is based on a single occupancy and then the bathroom and kitchen are shared amongst the guests. Three and four room flats have one bathroom, where the six room flats have an additional toilet/shower room. Each flat has a fully equipped kitchen, table and small soft seating area. Pots, pans and basic kitchen equipment are provided.

I the past two years I have been lucky to travel with a few friends and have managed to get a flat of our own.

The price of this hostel is high, however the single rooms and location make up for this. I think it would be difficult to get any other accommodation this close to the centre of the fringe for this price.

• Liked — The location on Cowgate is excellent
  • Disliked — A little over priced if outisde the festival season
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank caspardel
brisbane
Reviewed 27 July 2008

we stayed 3 nights in edinburgh but my partner refused to stay here after the first night. The location was fantastic and i probably would have stayed, but it was very basic. the beds were small and uncomfortable, and the room was cramped and dusty. i was also unhappy with the communal kitchen, there was no-way i would have used it as it stank. the communal toilets and showers were satisfatory but not great. we paid 22 pounds per person (for a double), but then for only 6 pounds extra per person we found a B&B to stay in which we were alot happier with (although it was a long walk out of the city centre). I must say, I do feel sorry for the students that have to live there long-term. The staff were very friendly though.

• Liked — location, staff
  • Disliked — quality, cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bec9
EHEd, Manager at Euro Hostel Edinburgh Halls, responded to this review, 4 August 2008
Hi Bec,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I do wish, of course, that it had have been a little better, but please let me address a couple of issues here.

One of the problems we sometimes encounter is kitchens not being maintained by the guests that are sharing the apartment. Our housekeeping staff do full kitchen cleans at each full changeover of the guests in the apartment but, to keep costs down, we do not do the washing up for you. This can present a problem sometimes but we have recently increased signage within the apartments to ensure guests are aware of this.

When we lease the bulding from the university we get 253 single rooms within apartments at a flat rate per bed per day. Due to demand from guests, we turn around a half of these into Twins as this is what couples want. Yes, it is 2 x single beds within a bedroom but the option is always there to take two single rooms next to each other within the same apartment. This would of course give more room within each bedrom. I am, however, a little surprised at the comments on the beds. These are all brand new this year and we have had nothing but compliments so far.

Innercity pricing is heavily based on location as the key factor. We are extremely cheap for innercity private bedrooms/apartments in Edinburgh, even during Festival. We respect that B&Bs out of town are only slightly more expensive but we are an EH1 (absolute city centre) location, and price accordingly (as we are charged accordingly)

Bec, I would like you to come back and stay with us again at a heavily reduced rate so that we may correct the problems encountered. Please email me on edinburgh@eur-hostels.co.uk to arrange a booking.

Kind regards,
London
Reviewed 13 July 2008

I never stayed at a hostel before, so I was quite scared that I was going to stay at a dump. I booked a private flat for 3 people for £66 a night. I was very pleasantly surprised. The flat was basic, but contained everything that I needed, it was clean and spacious. The staff was nice (apart from one, she seemed grumpy- someone needs to send her on a course...)
The location was great. I would definitely recommend this place to my friends and family for a cheap overnight stay.

• Liked — cost
  • Disliked — basic, no T.V etc.....
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Jess78