St. Valery Guest House
US$375
US$334
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$193
  • Room Service
US$245
US$221
  • Pool
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$186
US$108
  • Bar/Lounge
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$164
US$152
  • Restaurant
All reviewshaymarket stationb blovely guesthousecity centrescottish breakfastbreakfast roomkippersno elevatornice breakfastfull scottishquiet streetminute walkcomfortable bedairport busyogurtprinces streettram stop
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 November 2013

When I first arrived and saw the bed, I thought I was going to be disappointed as I have recently spoiled myself with Queen and King sized. I was wrong! The bed was comfortable, and while on the smaller side, the room provided a wonderful place to relax and plan my day. There was a fridge, a water boiler, and complimentary cookies. They also provided a few brochures and a list of local attractions that were quite helpful.

Breakfast is included in the price, and is billed as a Scottish breakfast. You can choose from 3 different juices, tea/coffee, 4 different cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, and the selection they cook for you (eggs, bacon, beans and tomato). It was a great way to start a day of exploring!

The location, while a bit outside the tourist attraction area, was still within walking distance of them. It was also conveniently located to Haymarket Station and the Airport Link bus. Definitely on the top of my list for places to stay in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank lostinspace4good
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This guesthouse has a good location in Edinburgh, all the main sites are within walking distance.
The guesthouse and the room are very well decorated. The breakfast was very good and there is a helpful staff.
Yet, the bathroom was a bit cold (only one heater in the room) and the bed a bit old.
In total it was a very good experience and a good value.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The location could not have been much better. I was coming in around 7 pm at Haymarket Station and leaving the next morning for the airport, and it was an easy walk from the station and to the airport bus, even with a heavy non-roller bag. It's also a nice stroll to restaurants (and the desk gave me helpful recommendations) and Charlotte Square through some lovely streets. The welcome was pleasant and efficient. Now, alas, for the negatives. My room, in the basement, was musty; I expect floor carpeting on that lower level is not the best idea although it probably keeps the noise down. I was able to open the window and air it out reasonably well although the bathroom stayed a little smelly. I will note that I am sensitive to odors so it might not bother some folks. Room was a good size and the bed was comfortable. As for breakfast, don't get the eggs! They must have been powdered or otherwise very remote from any chicken. I couldn't eat them, and I can eat about anything. So, for one night, perfectly fine, but I wouldn't want to stay for a number of days, at least not in the basement rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement if you have any issues with mustiness.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 October 2013

A fantastic Victorian home just in the outskirts of the core of Edinburgh with the Haymarket train station about a block away. There is a great little sandwich café at the end of the street, Tesco right around the corner and Greek Italian fish and chip shop in front of the train station.
The area was a little congested with the work going on for the new tram service but that should be cleared up soon.
Our stay was pleasant and very quiet and the service was wonderful. I would stay here again if ever in Edinburgh again.

Room Tip: Lower floors for those who have trouble climbing stairs would be smart.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Just enjoyed a lovely weekend stay in St Valery. Looked after very well by Jim and Caroline.
Accommodation offered everything we needed. Particularly impressed with a very hot powerful shower! Room was very quiet and we slept like logs.
Had to vacate premises by 10am on day of departure but we were able to leave our luggage as our flight home wasn't until 8.30pm. Told to avail of the drinks machine in the dining room before we left for the airport. A lovely touch. Wil definitely stay there again....despite the early starts for breakfast!

Room Tip: Ask for Room 8!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family