“Good place to stay with family!”

St. Valery Guest House
Ranked #16 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed here with a group of 8, we had 5 rooms! The rooms were big and clean. The bathrooms are old, but clean. The atmosphere is cosy and warm.
The first days we were welcomed and served by very friendly people! The last two days the staff changed, with we thought a pitty, since they were less welcoming and friendly. But they did help us anyhow when we forgot our key or needed a taxi.
We could use the breakfast-room whenever we wanted and we could have and hot-chocolate all day if we wished!
The hot breakfast was served until 9 am and was of nice quality.
We were all very satisfied with our choice!

Room Tip: rooms at the back are more quiet some rooms are really large!! Great!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for St. Valery Guest House

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the St Valery for four nights, and were quite comfortable. It was clean, safe, conveniently located, and very reasonably priced. It also had reliable, easy to use wifi, which made all the difference in helping me plan my day and keep in touch with folks back home in the States. (Since my American smartphone was not set up for use in the UK, I relied on wifi to plan bus routes with the Lothian Bus app.) The staff were friendly and the breakfasts were great. It's a little old, but charming and comfortable.

1  Thank Julie I
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My fiancé and I had a perfect stay at St. Valery Guest House during a birthday-weekend-trip and we were very pleased with everything. First of all, the staff was very friendly and helpful and even gave my fiancé a birthday cake on his birthday. :)

The house is really beautiful, cozy and Victorian-style, which we liked a lot.
Our room was very clean, large and had high ceiling. Everything we needed was in the room, even a small cooler, coffee and tea. We both liked the bed very much and slept well.

Location was perfect, only a few minutes walk to the main street and most main attractions

We both definitely give St. Valery Guest House our full recommendation, and if the staff is reading this; Thank you so much, we'll hopefully see you again soon. :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andrea H
Reviewed 25 March 2014

It was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. Everything was perfect: location, room, staff, breakfasts. I was very glad to have chosen it.
The location is near Haymarket Station where airbuses stop.The rooms are spacious and clean, have everything necessary. The staff is extremely nice and helpful, they do their best for a guest to feel comfortable. Breakfast are prepared in the morning, rich and tasty.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Anna K
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My boyfriend arranged a surprise weekend to Edinburgh and he chose St. Valery guest house. On arrival the couple who greeted us seemed nice and friendly and offered breakfast from 7am to 9am and if we missed it we were told we were welcome to help ourselves to any cereal or anything in the fridge, which is a great option to have in case of a late night. Our room was very small and quite claustrophobic but very clean and with a nice modern en suite with a strong shower. The staff must have changed over since the 1st day we arrived as we didn't see the nice couple again. The second morning we were woken by a phonecall from the cook asking if we would be down for breakfast, very rude interruption to our long weekend. As we were coming back from breakfast, we discovered her in our room cleaning, I had my phone there and other personal items out as we didn't think anybody would be in our room while we were having breakfast.. We told her there was no need as we were checking out today anyway, she apologised and left looking confused. My boyfriend booked this guesthouse through a travel website which stated that check out was at 10.30am. At 10.00am we got another call from reception from a man saying that check out was at 10am, I told him we have a print out from the website stating otherwise and we would be down at 10.30am to check out. When we went down, he pointed at a sign that said check out at 10am, we showed him the print out and he sarcastically said that oh I beleive you I mentioned the call we got at 8.15 that morning and asked why this happened, he just said the cook wanted to know if we wanted breakfast, I told him that we had the choice of whether or not we wanted to be down in time for a hot breakfast and there was no need for her to wake us up with a phonecall. He did not apologise, he just said, well i hope you enjoyed your stay, with a sarcastic smirk. So much for the customer is always right. If it wasn't for this very rude man, we would have definately come back to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bigger rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed here with my parents for a weekend in Edinburgh. The location is great, a couple of minutes walk from Haymarket Station and the main route of the airport bus and lots of services into Princes Street, but tucked away in a quiet street, so you don't get the street noise. There are many options for food nearby from pubs to Indian restaurants and take aways.
The best things about St Valery are the friendliness of the owners, and its good value for money. The double room on the second floor was fine (actually had a double bed and a single bed), and loads of space in the room itself - but the ensuite bathroom was tiny. The single room in the basement was OK; there was a much nicer ensuite bathroom and the WiFi signal was a lot stronger (it was virtually non-existent on the top floor). However, it had one of the worst beds I've ever slept in, creaky at every move, uneven mattress, and very tatty sheets. As a result I slept very poorly the first night, but got used to it in the second night (or was too knackered to notice). The shower was fine in the first morning, but in the evening there was no hot water; the next morning there was to start with, but came out cold half-way through, which wasn't a nice experience... Stem ginger cookies on the hospitality tray were a nice touch - and there were more added on the second day, though neither bin was emptied during cleaning. The rest of the room and bathroom was clean - I wouldn't say spotless as there was a hair in the shower and one in the bed when I first arrived. There was a small fridge in the room which was noticeably noisy during the night.
Breakfast was OK. There was good variety of cereals, jams, fruit, juices and teas / coffees (two machines in the breakfast room); but that was as continental as it got. The cooked option was nothing spectacular, tasty enough though a bit on the heavy side, and without mushrooms / fried bread / hash browns / haggis.
Service was great, James checked us in, helped us with the bags and checked the radiator for us which was not working the first day. Sheila checked us out, called us a taxi, and gave good advice on buses to the city. Both were friendly and welcoming, which made some of the negatives mentioned above not matter too much. If you're looking for a place with good connections into Edinburgh that won't blow your budget, this is for you!

Room Tip: Avoid room 11 in the basement - unless they change the bed.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We spent 3nights in march in St Valery Guest house,we were welcomed by James who booked us in and showed us to our room the en-suite room was very spacious with a good size bathroom with high powered shower,hairdryer ext,and not to forget the big double bed very comfortable and fridge and resting area with armchairs and a low table and a good selection of coffee&tea with luxury biscuits. Room was kept spotlessly clean, excellent breakfast sets you up for the day choice was great. Hay market just at the door within walking to princes street,excellent bus service into the city. Once again thank you James and all the staff at St Valery for making our holiday so pleasant would highly recommend this guest house ideally located in quiet residential area convenient for everywhere will come back.

Stayed: March 2014