“great stay”

Airdenair Guest House
Ranked #207 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Airdenair is a lovely place to stay, family run, friendly.
room was spotless,warm,quiet and view of Arthurs Seat great.
Would recomend a stay here any time.
Breakfast was very good real coffee.
We will be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank joycestirling

Reviewed 15 October 2012

I chose this bed and breakfast because the family had the same last name as ours and I thought it would be a great way to connect to our clan name. I also thought when going on the website that Rick Steves giving it a thumbs up must be a good sign. How right I was! Jill and Doug were welcoming, friendly, thoughtful, and so very helpful. The location was awesome, and the walk to the Royal Mile was so beautiful. If it was not for the wonderful information in the binder in our room we would never have known about The Taste of Scotland an outstanding Scottish show just a short walk away at Passfield Hall, Jill even lent her woolen wrap for the walk over. We would stay here again as after a short stay Jill and Doug felt like family. We went to four different countries on our trip and this B&B was our favourite. Highly recommended! Regina Saskatchewan Canada

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christina M
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We have stayed with Jill and family for the third time in June 2012 and will be back! This really feels like home away from home. Everyone is friendly, nothing is too much for them, the food is superb and the location peaceful and great with easy access to the Royal Mile and city centre. Not to talk about the tablet and scones, to die for!! We do love staying here!! Chris and Hannelie Ehlers

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with a view of Arthur's seat
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank HannelieEhlers
Reviewed 19 July 2012 via mobile

Came back, again, after my previous visits - it was like visiting family (without the 'evil aunts'!) a wonderfully warm welcome, enough information to give me reading material for the three days and a great breakfast (got me started, after the local hospitality ) & I managed to get a plate of the famous "stovies", traditionally served with a nip (well that is what Jill & Doug told me).
I cannot wait for my next visit - The Fringe!! Bring it on.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Stuart M
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Firstly parking your car here is a real challenge even the owner said it was a nightmare and was herself double parked ! Jill was not paricularly welcoming and although my room was clean it was cold and the bed was was hard -at no point was central heating put on not even early morning or in late evening.Heater in bathroom only blew cold air which along with lack of warmth made showering an experience not to linger over.The towels were paper thin and so hard exfoliation was automatic! Really could not believe anyone would put towels like that out for guests.Breakfast was plentiful but bacon over cooked-brittle-and fried egg hard.The acclaimed scone turned to powder when cut and was inedible .Jill was very sharp on occasions and not I felt approachable. Really disappointed with accomodation and frankly spoiled my stay in Edingburgh enough to ensure I would not return there.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank moevans
mclennan2, Owner at Airdenair Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

Thank you for your comments which we will take on board in order to improve our service. We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us at Airdenair. If you had notified us about some of these problems when you were here with is in June we would have done our utmost to resolve them for you in order to make your stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

Stayed here at the end of May and had a very nice time. The owners are very nice, friendly and helpful. My room was nice, clean and had a bathroom attached. The hotel is a little ways out of town but easy to get to by the bus. Great breakfast each morning. It is also near the park where Arthur's seat is which is a nice place to enjoy an evening walk. It is also relatively near some good places to eat and some nice pubs. I really liked a little Italian place called Positano. Really good food, reasonable prices and friendly staff that make you feel appreciated. Just up the street is my favorite pub called Reverie. The only complaint I would have, was the bed was a little hard. But I still slept well and would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank world_traveler1340
Reviewed 27 November 2011

My wife and I stayed at this guest house based on the listing in the Rick Steve's guide books. Like typical Rick recommendations, this B&B is a solid choice. Good value, especially in the off season. Clean room, great breakfast between 8 and 9 am (made to order - you select your choices the night before) small shower and bathroom, but more than enough. Free wifi, although reception is hit and miss from the room.

Jill, the owner is very personable and sweet. She helped us with good recommendations and printed directions. Yes, the scones and tablet (like fudge) is GREAT!

About a 30 min walk or very easy bus ride to Royal Mile and Waverly train station. About a 10 min walk to some nice pubs through what felt like very safe residential.

We will be back!