“Great location but room too noisy.”

Premier Inn Edinburgh Leith Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #40 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Stayed for 5 nights here with a family of 4. Room was really large but a bit tatty and noisy. The velux windows were to high, had to stand on chair to see outside but only looked onto carpark anyway. There was a large bulge on wall with a couple of holes in it under the velux which i presume was water damage. Room was always spotless when cleaned and bathroom was good too. Towels were changed everyday and were always soft and clean smelling. everything worked in the room apart from 1 spotlight which was'nt a issue. It was a bit noisy at night as its right in front of the lift and also door to the 2nd floor, so you heard everyone come in later at night. A banging sound came through the wall too every 10mins(sounded like a boiler or something). Resturant attached is great value and the staff are very helpful. We didnt have breakfast there we went to Asda instead as its much cheaper. Area is really good though with a lovely walk around the shore and the harbour is great at night with the changing colour light on the lighthouse. Great bus service No10 right outside hotel which takes you direct onto Leith walk area and Princess Street. Also just a 10min walk to Ocean Terminal shopping centre with lots of restaurants and shops and also the Royal Britannia. Also there is a great Asda store 2 mins walk which is really convienient and also is open 24 hours. Would stay here again as we found the staff really nice (especially Jenny)and its such a great area and its so handy for getting to centre of town, but would choose another room if possible.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Robertson20

Reviewed 21 July 2011

I have often stayed in Premier Inn before but after staying here I won't be staying with the company ever again.

After waiting over 10 minutes at the front desk (it was manned but understaffed) we were given a key to a room but I had to ask to be moved as the room absolutely stank. The thing that really got me was the girl on the desk didn't even seem surprised or apologise she just said she'd swap us as though it happened every day. I did not feel the staff cared one way or the other for guests and twice had to wait for them to finish personal conversations.

The second room didn't smell which is just as well as it wasn't possible to open the window and it was very hot. There was a fan in the room but it was really noisy so we had a choice of being kept awake by the heat or the fan. I am not a fussy person and love being warm but this room was amazingly hot and the thermostat on the wall wasn't working to turn the heater off - in July!

The bath hadn't been cleaned and was absolutely disgusting with back filth which looked like sand and soot in the bottom. I am ashamed to say I was too embarrassed to complain twice so I didn't say anything and we just cleaned it ourselves then showered rather than bathed.

There was also only one hand towel and one bath towel and also only 3 pillows.

The main room was clean but tatty. If the bathroom had been cleaned it might have been an adequate room however as we were charged £98 for one night bed only and Premier Inn don't even bother putting biscuits in the room I think this hotel is a disgusting rip off.

Oh yes and there was only one milk and tea bag in the room which quite frankly is stingy. When I asked the girl at reception for more (after waiting for her to finish chatting to her friend about a night out) she informed me they'd ran out of coffee but was kind enough to give me more teabags, milk and offer decaf coffee.

The attached pub was OK and breakfast was quite good. The service in the attached pub was brilliant although the staff did seem to be overstretched.

All in all I think this was the worst value place I have ever stayed and I definately won't be going back despite it being the perfect location for my husband's work, we'd rather stay elsewhere and get the bus in.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cathyFrennison
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Edinburgh Leith Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by Guest Relations and the Management Team at this hotel. We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed 19 July 2011

me and 3 work friends stayed here for 2 nights, loved it, we had a roomwith a view of the water and lighthouse, the sunsets from our window were amazing. Breakfast was fab all you can eat buffet, we also had the curry buffet which was good value. very friendly service would definatley go back and would highly recomend to others. there is a bus stop that is bang across from the hotel and it's only £1.30 to town or you can get a day rider for about £3.30, be wary as they don't give change, so make sure you have the correct cash the bus is 10a. and stops right in the centre on Princes St,

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank rapunzalchick
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My friend and I have stayed in this Premier for the last 3 years. We think the location is perfect, the rooms are clean and all the staff are really friendly and nothing is too much trouble. This stay was one of our best yet and we have already booked again for next year! If your looking for value for money and an ideal base to explore Edinburgh, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Welcomed by a very friendly chap. Room was fine - had two armchairs and a hairdryer which was a bonus compared to recent Travelodge stay. Very comfy bed and pillows. Really handy for local pubs with great food. We ate at the Starbank about 3 mins walk away.
Desk staff were very pleasant and knowledgable about the area and helpful when it came to recommending sightseeing/bus fares etc.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Stayed at this hotel with my wife and 2 children. The "Family Room" was a disgrace! The 4th bed was a mattress on the floor next to a radiator. This was only the start of the nightmare. There was a hole in the wall cover by tape, 5 of the 8 lights in the room didn't work, the fan fell apart 5 minutes after switching it on and the replacement fan tripped the power to the room, the soap dispenser was broken in two so you had to open it up to get any soap and there was a tear in the curtain which showered the room in sunlight in the morning. We complained straight away about the condition of the hotel but the receptionist simply justified the issues as "well, we are awaiting a refit!" Does this justify that the hotel is left to be run into the ground in the meantime?? Every fire door in the corridors were not spring loaded so it meant that when anyone went through, the door banged the wall and it was just our luck to have a room at one of these doors. Our kids hardly slept between this and the fact that their so called "family room" overlooked the entrance to the hotel and bar so we were kept awake as people came and went all night. We should have known what to expect when we arrived as the receptionist had food all down his shirt, shirt buttons missing and he looked as if he needed to use one of the showers in the hotel........if only the soap dispensers worked!! I stay in Premier Inns all over the UK due to work commitments and this is by far and away the worst and also the most expensive. I would not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. I would have left immediately if any other hotel had availability but the Edinburgh Marathon put paid to that. This will also be the last Premier Inn that I will stay at as the Customer Services Department were completely disinterested in my complaint. I got a full refund but an apology would have been nice!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank 75TMC
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Edinburgh Leith Waterfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please be assured your comments has been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed 17 May 2011

The hotel shows its age, a few big maintenance issues, (see photos)
Of all the 12 or so lights outside, only 1 worked, also allot of fight buts around (from the signs they where aware of the problem). Bird poo on the window (but from where it's set, would be hard to avoid that!

staff seemed nice enough.

• Stayed: May 2011