We recently travelled to Edinburgh for our first visit choosing this time to experience the Christmas fair and markets. We selected the Newcraighall hotel for its proximity to the train station which enabled travel into the city without taking the car, trains every 30 mins during the day (none on Sunday but buses stop outside) and a journey time of 8 minutes.
On arrival at the Premier Inn we were given a warm friendly welcome and check in was fast and efficient, we were allocated a room on the first floor at the back of the hotel, the room was bigger than we expected and furnished to a very high standard with king size bed, it was immaculately clean and the pillows for the bed were nice and soft, extra pillows already in the room.
On our first night as we had arrived late in the afternoon we had dinner in the hotel restaurant, the menu had a good selection and the food was OK, my partner selected a pasta dish and this was not very warm and had to be sent back but it served the purpose and meant we did not have to venture out after our journey.
The following day was spent in the city and after returning to the hotel to shower and change we returned and chose an Italian restaurant for dinner which was excellent, be aware that the trains go to hourly service in the evening the last one departing at 2315.
Next day we had a trip out in the car - first stop to find our eating venue for the evening - an Indian restaurant recommended to us by one of the reception staff who told us he was a frequent customer - Bonoful Restaurant in Portobello a little town less than 3 miles from the hotel, having identified the location we drove a little way and found that the town has a lovely seashore, quite deserted due to the season but apparently very busy in season according to a local resident, also excellent views across the Firth of Forth and Berwick. We then drove on to Leith and saw the Royal Yacht Britannia (from Debenhams restaurant windows!) and other interesting vessels in the harbour, from there we went to South Queensferry to see the road and rail bridges across the Forth, the rail bridge is a spectacular engineering feat. We returned to the hotel and in the evening drove to the Indian restaurant, we were not disappointed the food was excellent and at a reasonable price with meals on the menu which we have not seen elsewhere, the staff were attentive without being intrusive there were only ourselves and six other diners but the weather was atrocious, but we did not regret turning out and will return on our next visit to Edinburgh.
The following morning we checked out leaving the car at the hotel and having a last trip into the city to purchase some of the wonderful food at Crombies Butchers, we cannot resist quality sausages from traditional butchers together with some Scotch pies and a home made Steak pie for tea when we got home!
All the staff at the hotel were friendly and polite a credit to their employers they are knowledgeable about the area and nothing too much trouble, special thanks to Claire who helped with several enquiries, we have stayed at another budget hotel several times before but now will always use Premier Inn as there is no comparison.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- NEWLY REFURBISHED HOTEL The Premier Inn Edinburgh (Newcraighall) is ideal for all occasions. Shopping, party nights, family getaways or romantic weekend breaks. Everything you need and more surround us! Our 42 en-suite bedroom hotel offers clean and comfortable rooms, Tea and coffee making facilities, bath with shower, TVs in every room and a 24-hour reception as standard. Free car parking is available on site. The hotel is situated just off the A1 near Musselburgh. The Fort Kinnaird Retail Park is within walking distance form the hotel and the Newcraighall Bannatyne’s Heath Centre is right next-door. We are 8 minutes by train into the city centre of Edinburgh; the station is opposite our hotel and runs frequently Monday to Saturday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Premier Inn, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Premier Inn Edinburgh (Newcraighall) Hotel Edinburgh
- Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel Scotland