“What a lucky break!”

Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel
Ranked #27 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This hotel has recently been refurbished and the room we were given was big enough to hold a Strictly audition (room 35 ).
Another bonus was the hotel's position - right across from a park-and-ride scheme with an eight minute, half-hourly train journey into Edinburgh Waverley ( £3.80).
The accompanying restaurant has an extensive menu but the staff seemed under pressure on the sunny Sunday evening that we visited. No complaints about the food, once it arrived, however.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank avondalepaul
ClaireNickerson, General Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Hello Avondalepaul,

I appreciate you taking the time to write your wonderful review. I agree that the rooms are incredibly spacious. I hope you enjoyed practicing the Waltz! J

I am glad you found our location to be ideal for your trips in to Edinburgh City Centre. I too find the train station across the road to be perfect when looking to get to Edinburgh quickly and without the hassle of traffic.

I will also be sure to pass on your comments to the Cuddie Brae Bar and Restaurant next door.

We hope to welcome you back to Newcraighall again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel itself is great. The rooms are superb: quiet, well equipped, comfortable. Working, efficient air-con etc. Nice little touches like HDMI and USB connectivity to the good sized widescreen TV. The staff are also great. One of the best Premier Inn hotels that I have yet stayed in.

However,
there is an item that appears to be largely out of the control on Premier Inn since it's not part of their group, and that is the attached pub/restaurant. I was on a pre-booked deal by my company so was, very unfortunately, unable to eat elsewhere without spending my own money. Let's start with the not too bad stuff: the lighting is generally poor.
The service is terrible: had to repeatedly remind them to bring my ordered drink. The mustard that they asked me if I wanted? I'm still waiting for it. This I could forgive if they were busy. They weren't. I might have also forgiven this, partially, if the service was quick. It wasn't. I might have been able to forgive all of this if the food was either reasonably priced or of a decent quality. It was... well, are you starting to guess the recurring theme? The food was very expensive for what it was and of really poor quality.
Do not eat here.
Finally, don't expect your breakfast order to actually match up with what you actually ordered.

A real shame, because, as I said earlier, the hotel is superb. If the Cuddie Brae gets sorted out, then it will become a regular stop.

Room Tip: Don't eat at the Cuddie Brae.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
ClaireNickerson, General Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Hello Andy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. I am so glad to hear that you liked our refurbished rooms. I agree, the top of the line, air con units make such a difference during this wonderful summer weather. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to my staff, as I am sure they will be delighted that you were so pleased with them. We try to do everything we possibly can to ensure our guests have a wonderful journey with Premier Inn.

I am so sorry that you had such a negative experience with the Cuddie Brae bar and restaurant next door. While you are correct, they are not part of our company, we also do not want any of our guests leaving disappointed. We know that there are so many different aspects that contribute to our guest’s journey and we would hate to think that there was an area that was not up to scratch. The Cuddie Brae also always hope to deliver the very best service to their customers so I am sure that they will take this feedback on board and will put measures in to place to make improvements wherever they can.

We hope that we can welcome you back to Premier Inn again in the future.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stay in a Premier Inn most weeks throughout the UK. This is without doubt the best one i've stayed in. So clean and fresh from its refurb plus its always really quiet and welcoming.

Usually in the refurb premier inn's they do the bedroom and change the curtain only in the bathroom, this one has had bathrooms done too!

I have family who live locally to this one so the location is perfect for me, its near a retail shopping park if you need to pop out and get something from Boots or Outfit.

Happy to return very soon.

Room Tip: Air Con was good, we stayed on the ground floor and kept cool even after air con was switched off.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
ClaireNickerson, General Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Hello Krispycupcake,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your wonderful review. I am very pleased to hear that you like our newly refurbished rooms. Our housekeeping team always work very hard on the cleanliness and upkeep of each of our rooms.

I agree that our location is perfect should you be looking to do a bit of shopping at the retail park, or get the train in to Edinburgh City Centre. With our reliable, regular public transport, we are ideal for anyone looking to explore Edinburgh.

We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 Newcraighall again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

The experience at newcraighall was excellent . This was mainly due to the wonderful reception staff and the immaculate bedroom.
The restaurant for breakfast was dark and a bit dingy and the staff did not match up to those in the main hotel.
I left my kindle behind and by the time I arrived home I had a message saying that it would be forwarded to me.
Full marks to the best reception staff we have encountered in a long time

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
ClaireNickerson, General Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hello JML16,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your lovely review. I am elated to hear that you were so pleased with our reception team. Each of our receptionists hopes to make our guests feel welcome and well taken care of throughout their stay. Our housekeepers also work incredibly hard (in this unbelievable heat as well) to ensure that the rooms are cleaned and maintained to the very best standard. We also understand that our guests can often be in a rush and may leave behind valuables. We do our utmost to ensure that every item left behind is returned to the guest as soon as possible. It is lovely to hear that these aspects have been appreciated and I will be sure to feed your comments back to the staff.

I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the Cuddie Brae bar and Restaurant. I will be sure to pass on your comments to their management team so that they can put necessary measures in to place to ensure this is not the case in the future.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times while visiting Edinburgh on business and pleasure.

The rooms have been recently refurbished - air conditioning, the obligatory big TV ( unfortunately) and very comfortable beds ( more importantly).

Theres not much to do in the area and nowhere to walk however the advantage with this hotel is that it is right beside a railway station. We have stayed when visiting the city and it is just a short train ride away. You can easily go for a meal or a show in Edinburgh then catch the last train back with no parking problems and a short walk to the hotel ( I dont know whether i want to let people know of this or not!)

Its right next door to the Cuddie Brae, which despite poor reviews, has been good on the occasions I have eaten there. Breakfast is freshly cooked which makes a change from buffett - you can still eat as much as you want but it maybe discourages the displays of gluttony which often accompany buffets. I dislike seeing people with piled high plates who usually leave half of it and waste it.

On the night I was there Wifi wasnt working but it was apparently a whole network problem - normally PI wifi is pretty good and reasonably priced.

No hesitation about staying there again

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Hello AandMo,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am happy to hear that you like our newly refurbished rooms and found the beds to be comfortable. We know how important a good nights sleep is to each of our guests.

I agree that the location of our hotel is perfect. With the train station just across the road, our guests can be in Edinburgh City Centre in just eight minutes! This makes our hotel ideal for anyone looking to explore Edinburgh.

I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the Cuddie Brae Bar and Restaurant. I am sure they will be thrilled with your comments.

I apologise that there were issues with the wifi during your stay. There was an issue with the internet connection throughout our hotels but this has now been rectified. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Our internet suppliers are constantly making improvements to our servers so that we can offer our guests the quickest connection available and unfortunately, during works there was a slight hitch.

We hope to welcome you back to Newcraighall again in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This Premier Inn was the cheapest option for our dates and we booked it based on the good reputation and reviews. We stayed in a family quad room, which I don't think is available everywhere, so that was another reason for our choice. The place was clean, the staff was friendly, we felt we had enough space for the 4 of us. The room was too warm with no option to lower the temerature, a bulb was blown in the bathroom and did not get replaced while we stayed there (we had mentioned it to the reception desk staff), the walls are paper thin but the other guests were generally very quiet. We did not manage to use the 30 minute free wi-fi as the connection went after 2 minutes... Breakfast was great, all you can eat buffet with kids eating for free. Contrarily to what I expected, the beds were not great: no matter how good quality a spring mattress is, it's still a srping mattress and is bound to be uncomfortable. One of the kids complained about the quality of her mattress and we had to pad it with an extra duvet we got from the reception staff.
All in all I would definitely stay in a Premier Inn again, and would recommend this one for its staff, the location and the quad room option. I don't see why I'd go somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
ClaireNickerson, General Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Hello Mejoleno30,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am so happy to hear that you found our family of four rooms to be spacious and in line with your needs.

Our housekeeping team, work very hard to ensure our rooms are cleaned to the highest standard and our reception staff, do genuinely care about every aspect of our guests stay.

I am sorry to hear that you found the room to be too hot. Although we do have air con units in every room, they also double as heating units. From experience, I know that some of our guests have had a slight problem when swapping them from heat to cool and if this was the case with yourself, I sincerely apologise. The cool function is very powerful when turned on full, as we know that even in Scotland, the heat can be overwhelming at night. Please do contact our reception staff should you have this issue again. We will be happy to assist you. We also keep spare fans at reception should you require one.

I apologise that you did not find the bed to be very comfortable. Although this is a personal preference, we are always happy to do everything we can to ensure the bed is set up the way you would like. Should you be staying with us again, please do call us in advance and we will be happy to pad all of the beds with extra duvets and mattress protectors.

I am thrilled to hear that you will be staying with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Newcraighall.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Very good value for money. Quiet location but near enough to Motorway for ease of travel. Staff helpful and friendly. Restaurant very good. Would stay again if I was in the area! Good central area for travel onwards. Easy to get to Glasgow and Edinburgh from here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
ClaireNickerson, General Manager at Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Hello Oliver,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very happy to hear that our location was ideal for your needs, and that you found our reception staff friendly and helpful. Every single one of our guests is important to us and we are always happy to go that extra mile to ensure our guests have a wonderful stay.

We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn again in the near future.

Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Edinburgh
Premier Inn Edinburgh Leith Waterfront Hotel
Premier Inn Edinburgh East Hotel
Best Western Kings Manor Hotel
Travelodge Edinburgh Cameron Toll
Hotel ibis budget Edinburgh Business Park
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Musselburgh) Hotel

Been to Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel? Share your experiences!