“Super stay at your hotel!”

Premier Inn Edinburgh East Hotel
Ranked #102 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Absolutely a faultless stay for the first time at your hotel in Edinburgh.All of the staff without exception were extremely welcoming, friendly, warm and professional.Would have absolutely no hesitation in returning to hotel or recommending it to friends and family.Many thanks to all concerned!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 August 2011

Not far from the city centre. Very clean and well maintained with extremely friendly staff.

Reviewed 22 July 2011

This was to be our wee family trip - and after reading the reviews, thought we had made the right choice. We have always used Premier Inns/Travel Inns...up and down the country and have never been disappointed...however....

Pulled up to a lovely building, just as it is shown on the website. We were greeted by a friendly receptionist. She asked if we wanted to have dinner and or breakfast, in which we declined at that moment as we were tired from our journey and day at Edinburgh Zoo and needed a moment to unpack and decide.

Our quad room was very large. Beautiful bathroom, flat screen telly...comfy beds, spotless clean....and we decided then that we would eat in the hotel and as we had learned that 'kids eat free' at breakfast - that we would also book for both. We booked dinner for 6pm and breakfast - but was told there was no need to come down at a specific time - just before 10 am (I think...would need to find my brochure).

After a few drinks from the bar, we asked for a table for dinner. They did not have our reservation! Over half of the dining space was closed off due to a wake being held there prior....in which there was no more than 5 people still using a table at 6pm. We were aware of families and couples coming to eat and being turned away due to mourners still being present.

We ordered our meal at 1815, which was only a main course each. We waited 50 mins for this meal - and when it came, we were short 2 portion of onion rings...which - when we caught the waiters eye...we asked for. We did not complain....all we wanted was a nice family meal and no drama. One portion of onion rings came about 15 mins into eating our meal....but again we thanked the waiter....

My rump steak had good flavour - but by goodness....it needed some chewing - to the extent that I had to carefully place mouthful's into my napkin. We saw a couple coming into the dining area, and a very rude waitress said with a stern voice ''You will just have to wait....I am not ready for you yet - there are other people waiting to be seated before you''

Within a few mins, this couple were sat down next to our table....if there were other people to be seated before them.....goodness knows where they had gone!

When it came time to clear our plates, the waiter asked if all was ok....and apologised for the 'slowness' of the service. I found it appropriate to mention that we did notice that the service was poor and mentioned that my steak was a nightmare to chew. He kindly said I could choose a desert on the house as an apology.

I think that maybe this hotel is a local pub for residents in the area - therefore we were awoken on a few occasions with drunk voices....but nothing too bad. I went to take a shower and get ready for breakfast....NO HOT WATER!! It seemed like the last straw! My husband went to down to see what was happening.....and it seems that the boiler had broken and no one had hot water............not good when 2 adults and 2 kids had a full day at the zoo the day before - and needed to shower and wash our hair! My husband and son washed at the sink, while my daughter and I braved an absolutely freezing shower....but not brave enough to wash our hair.

We went down to breakfast......the waitress looked at me and my children with distaste.....to which I politely said good morning! She then asked if we had booked....to which I replied that yes we had. She then asked what our room number was....and I told her. She then told us that we had not booked a table.......it seemed that AGAIN our reservation had not been honoured! So I said to her that the same mix up had happened for dinner the night before.....and that it was terrible it was happening again.

We were sat at a table - and then the waitress came over to our table with a receipt for our stay in the hotel......and said ''you have NOT paid for breakfast'' to which I replied - I know we hadn't - but we had booked a table through reception. I was humiliated when she said that she asked if I had paid....and it seems that I said I had - when I had not! I was so upset with the whole thing.....and the humiliation in front of other guests who were also having breakfast......I explained that no we had not paid.....but we did book a table......and she just argued that we can't book a table without paying.......my husband then got really angry and said AGAIN - we were not trying to get out of paying for our breakfast.....and he wished the waitress to stop implying this.....it all became too much for us to handle - and we left the dining room.

My husband asked for the manager - who did not care....he handed him HO phone number and said to complain to them........so - I did....as soon as I got up to our room.

I explained that it was such a shame that such a beautiful establishment had to be wasted with unprofessional and rude staff....not to mention not being able to shower in the morning....and also the hiccups at dinner. HO agreed that this was not their policy and apologised profusely...and also said we would be reimbursed for our stay within 48 hours.

When we went to reception, the manager handed us our bill and said he had decided not to charge us for our stay as a 'good will gesture' - why on earth did he refuse to when my husband had complained only 10 mins prior????

I would hope that when/if you decide to go - the staff have that are bringing the Premier Inn name down - are either sacked or re-trained...because this is all that is holding the place back from being a 5 out of 5!

I also notice that a person from Aberdeen stayed the same night as us.....but found his experience excellent - that is brilliant to here......but did you try have a shower?

2  Thank sharonfitz05
Reviewed 21 July 2011

From the minute we arrived to leaving - EVERY member of staff was on the ball, helpful and happy. Our room was spotless and the meals were faultless. This is one of the best hotels we have stayed in, in Scotland - well done to all and thank you.

Reviewed 6 July 2011

Stayed here for two nights,the room was clean and spacious,large bathroom with a limited view towards the firth of forth.
Staff friendly and helpful. On arrival was asked about breakfast arrangements and booked breakfast for the next morning but on arrival back home found we had been charged for two mornings breakfasts and not just the first days. However a call to the customer website cleared it all up and was re-funded immediately after they had spoke to tnhe hotel. Will not stop me staying there again on a trip back to edinburgh.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2011

We booked to stay here as we were attending the Bon Jovi concert at Murrayfield. We expected a certain standard as have stayed in Premier Inns before. We were not disappointed. Add to this the warm and friendly welcome on arrival and the high level of service we received from all we met, our necessary 2 night stay then became a very pleasurable and relaxing break.
Thank you to all staff. We look forward to staying again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2011

Two friends and their little boy stayed in this hotel with us for 3 nights. From the minute we arrived the staff could not have been nicer. A lovely, chatty girl on reception, who held our bags as we were early, and then kindly took them up the stairs to our rooms. She also helped us out with bus travel info into town and to the zoo.
Both rooms were 100% clean and tidy. Family room very spacious for a little one, and double room just as good. Bathrooms spotless. The only things we could fault were the hairdryer didnt work in the double room, and it was quite hot in both rooms throug the night. Fans were on offer to cool the rooms down though.
We had dinner in the restaurant on the first night. It did take a while for our plates to be taken away, but the food was delicious, and at a reasonable price too.
On our last day, we were kindly allowed to use the hotel's computer to help us sort out or travel arrangements, and the two girls Kirsty and Natalie could not have been nicer or more helpful if they had tried.
Would highly recommend the chipper across the road from the hotel - excellent prices, massive portions, good quality food, and so much to choose from....so much so we had our dinner from there on the remaining 2 nights!
We visited the zoo - not too much to see really, but easily accessible on a bus route. Deep Sea World in North Queensferry (20mins on a train from city centre) was a good day out, but again, not too much to see. Beware of the looong steep hill down to it though.
Bus stop just outside hotel, only £1.30 in to town, or £3.20 all day ticket, and a Tesco right next door.
All in all a very pleasant stay in this lovely hotel, situated in a quiet area not too far from the city centre. We would all definitely stay here again on furture trips to Edinburgh.
Thank you for a lovely holiday.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Edinburgh
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel
Premier Inn Edinburgh Leith Waterfront Hotel
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Musselburgh) Hotel
Travelodge Edinburgh Cameron Toll
Best Western Kings Manor Hotel
Hotel ibis budget Edinburgh Business Park

Been to Premier Inn Edinburgh East Hotel? Share your experiences!