“More than expected”
Review of The Hostel

The Hostel
Ranked #101 of 217 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed 18 August 2013

If looking for just a bed this is perfect.
Shared a dorm with girls in a group for a hen party/fringe festival. Good amenities, helpful staff, great location.
Could definitely do with better pillows though!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 31 July 2013

My reviews are usually long.. But this one will be different as there was only ONE thing bothering me about my stay. THE ROOM HEAT. The windows only open 3inches. As you know we've had a heat wave. And 3inch windows, whilst sharing with 14 OTHER PEOPLE in a small room......IS HELL. The smell is disgusting. NO AIR circulating. The whole place, past the main stair case lacked windows and air conditioning. I shared with 13 guys. I regret that so so much. I'd warn against any single traveler- male or female, to think twice on sharing with 14 people. 4 is more than enough.. And the boys i stayed with kept CLOSING the window!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE THEY MAD?? I stayed 2 nights and both nights EVERYBODY was sleeping out of their blankets. I opened the window and all i got off one moody Italian guy was attitude. I left 5hrs earlier than planned JUST to get fresh air. THAT BAD. I wandered the streets in Edinburgh just to feel cool. Be warned!!! NEVER again......Never.

Room Tip: Don't like night time heat?? BEG for a window bed. You'll need it!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank vickystyle
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed here just one night , was booked for three but couldn't put myself through three nights ,hygiene was horrendous , the showers were either broken or cold !!! Kitchen opens at eight , not clever when everyone is up and out by then , the towels and bedding smelt of sweat and had not seen washing powder for a long time , it was a nightmare that this review may help stop happening to others , just wish my mate had read the reviews before he booked , oh and the policy of 48 hours cancelation is a joke !!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Keith T
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This hostel is overcrowded in my view, with insufficient facilities to make it hygenic and unsafe space in bunkrooms if there was a fire. I had to weave around people sitting on the stairs and on the floor in the entrance up the stairs and in the main hallway on my arrival. I couldn't see the reception booth until the girl waved to me. I was told there were no adaptor plugs available when I could see some in a box on the shelf, The printer wasn't working and I was advised that there was an internet cafe down the road but it would probably be closed ( it wasn't The Cleopatra has been there for 11 years open 9am to 9pm since it opened, surely the hostel staff should be award of this) The kitchen is tiny with room for maybe three people to move around if they are careful, there were only two teatowels that I could find and both were filthy. I went out and got some food but there was absolutely nowhere for me to sit down to eat it. People were sitting on the floor leaning up against the walls sitting on the stairs, the courtyard was full people were sitting on the fire escape so I sat in my room which is against the policy there. The bunkroom had three bunks crammed in it with no space for backpacks this made it very unsafe if there had been an emergency, and disturbing at night if you had to get out to go to the toilet (again over crowded and filthy) The blurb stated there were individual bed spotlights,there weren't, and when I asked about it just got a blank stare and a no we don't have them. The showers were also unsafe in that they dribbled then randomly went scorching hot or freezing cold.No one seems to bother telling people about bunkroom ettiquette either my roomies came home round midnight turned on the light and proceeded to gossip and giggle for an hour before settling down. I would never stay there again even if it is cheap and close to the train and buses.

Room Tip: just don't go there.
Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank juliet h
Reviewed 1 July 2013

On arrival at the hostel I was informed that you had 'double charged me for a 2nd person for 2 nights and my bill was double what it should be!! I emailed you about this but no response!!! Therevwere no electris in rooms as the wires had been cut at the sockets to prevent overuse by guests.. overall very bass backpacking accomodatio and fine for the money that I 'should' have been charged!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This is a very cheap place to stay in Edinburgh and it is very handy for Haymarket train station and the bus to Edinburgh Airport which is why I chose it.

However it has some serious flaws which are really basic to making staying a hostel agreeable:
1) No lockers (secure or otherwise) in the rooms so you have to sleep with your handbag and laptop in the bed.
2) Terrible showers (at least the one I used) with a dribble of water which alternated from almost scalding hot to significantly chilly all by itself.
3) No shelves or hooks anywhere, so you have to dump your clothes, towels and toiletries on the bathroom floor (which by the time I arrived was not very clean).
4) Very cramped (at least the bathroom and bedroom I used)
5) No shelves in the bedrooms - a wee shelf next to your bed would be handy to put your glasses and your phone on!
6) No sockets in the bedrooms to charge your phone or laptop

The website boasts that there is original art on the walls; I suggest selling the pictures and using the cash to put in a few shelves, hooks and lockers - things that will make it more amenable to stay there.

I've stayed in hostels in the emerging independent travel industry in China and Mongolia which have obviously thought more about what their customers needed. As a resident of Scotland, it's somewhat of a disappointment that this Edinburgh hostel has failed so badly in the basics.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2013

The one star is for location. Unisex bathrooms with only 2 toilets and 3 showers for around 40 people on the first floor (not sure about other floor), cleaned once per day, means by midnight, you are stepping in urine and have to hover or clean the seat every time you use the toilet. And this is on a good night when there isn't a large group of Spanish teenagers smashing the crap out of the bathroom doors. When reception closes at 23:00, EVERYTHING CLOSES. If you want to stay up past 11pm and not go out, you can read in bed or sit in the hallway using the internet if you brought a laptop, etc. The kitchen is closed. The lounge is closed. In the kitchen there is a security camera with threatening signs stating you are being watched and will be punished if you don't clean your spoon with the disgusting sponge they provide. In addition, I saw the cleaning person using this sponge to clean the bathroom sinks. Who knows what else it was used on.

I have been traveling Europe for almost 3 months now in 6 countries and while I have stayed in dirtier places in more disrepair, this has been the most dissatisfying. As someone who is living out of hostels, this place doesn't allow me to live. It's like staying at your annoying aunt's house where you aren't allowed to do anything. Kitchen is closed at 11pm and doesn't open until 8am, but you aren't supposed to keep food in your room... right. How dare you want breakfast before 8am or a snack after 11pm. Want to charge your camera, phone, laptop? Have fun sitting in the hallway watching everyone go to the toilet while it charges unless you feel secure leaving your expensive electronics in the high-traffic area. Then there are the rooms. The 16 bed room is so small, there isn't an inch of extra space. One smelly shoe and I was gassed out choosing to stay up all night (in the hallway with my laptop) rather than sleep in such a congested, stagnant claustrophobic space.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo