“Great if you need a beauty treatment, but not a good location”

Edinburgh Thistle Guest House
Ranked #388 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great if you need a beauty treatment, but not a good location”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

A bad 1st impression, no one to greet me, several bells on front door, 1 broken. It's in a very run down area. I popped out to f'ind a restaurant, best on offer was Dominoes pizza take away & a kebab shop sandwiched amongst boarded up buildings.
I had to carry 3 heavy bags up 2 flights of stairs, the staff who eventually appeared had no interest in helping me. I couldn't believe I'd landed here, it looked nice on the web site.
The decor is a clash between traditional and modern with plastic flowers.
I did have a good solid nights sleep.
Unusual for a guest house it has a beauty room so I booked a treatment. I was surprised to see a newly decorated spotless room with Decleor products & well trained beauty therapists. Great treatments, friendly & professional, the staff are nice but don't seem quite geared up for the B&B side of the business. Their hearts in the right place, it's just in the wrong location and the rooms need a good refurb.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank JS4949

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I stayed in this guest house last night and it was a mixed bag. The lady who ran it was friendly and helpful when I asked to check in out-with normal hours. My single room was nicely decorated, the bed was comfortable and towel was good quality, but the room was TINY - more of a box room and when I first saw it I wasn't sure if I could stay in such a small room as I'm a bit claustrophobic (and 5ft 11!). The sloping roof meant that if you sat up in the night on the wrong side of the bed you could concuss yourself. There was no wardrobe, just a few hangers on a very small rail. The bathroom was very pleasant but I didn't realise I would be sharing it with 4 other rooms, which I don't think was mentioned when I booked it - just as well I had to get up very early! Lastly, my bedroom door had to be pulled shut very firmly which made it noisy for everyone else, and I needed all my strength to pull the bathroom door shut enough to lock it. Overall? Disappointing...

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank sambagirlEdinburgh

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Hertfordshire
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Myself and three friends visited Edinburgh to watch the England v Scotland Rugby Match. I am not quite sure what I did wrong to deserve the second floor attic room at the rear which was undoubetdly the least pleasant economy room I have ever slept in and fortunately only for one night. There is no radiator nor other heating supplied. There was no wardrobe but only a short wall mounted rail with a single coat hanger. The single chest of drawers had two drawers with one functional and three broken handles. The bed was not a proper piece of furniture but a folding portable example closer to a camp bed than a conventional bed. The room was narrow and since it was an attic room the ceiling was sloping for the majority of the rooms length. The consequence was that the headroom over the pillow was minimal and very claustrophobic so i had to push the bed up to the front of the chest of drawers making them unusable but since the handles were missing i suppose that it was not capable of use in any case. There was no wash basin or en suite facility and the bathroom shared between rooms on the first and second floor. The prices we paid were very much higher than those shown due to the International Rugby weekend but the lack of quality is a year round thing!

Room Tip: The way to get a good room is not to go to this hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank dave_bishop
Reviewed 25 November 2011

The location is as described.
The room was tiny with an insecure door. The bed was broken. The toilet/shower was upstairs and communal.
I did not stay for more than one night of my four booked nights and would not recommend this accommodation. It was, to be fair, cheap but I was expecting much more after having telephoned before arriving.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Dbirchley
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We had great time here, stayed only for one night but enjoyed overall

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Excellent breakfasts, would definitely go again!! Friendly homely service, nice clean rooms nice bathroom suite and a lovely relaxing atmosphere

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 February 2011

We LOVED the little hotel because the quality to price ratio was very favorable. Our ground floor room was very cramped, but the comforter, pillows, and decorations were nice. Who bothers to make such a small room so comfortable and attractive with coordinated throw pillows? We really appreciated the extra touches and how how soft the bed, pillows, and blankets were. And the room was very clean. We were very pleased.

The breakfast was decent, but nothing homemade. Again, the dining space was very clean and attractive. Each morning we found food we enjoyed (fruit, yogurt, or bread/croissant with jam).

It is about a 25 minute walk to downtown, but two buses stop a couple of doors down from the hotel. This was just fine for us.

We were going to Edinbourgh for the new year.and tourism. This hotel was exactly what we were looking for.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple