“Horrendous - the worst guest house I have ever stayed in.”

Edinburgh Thistle Guest House
Ranked #352 of 395 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Reading other reviews on this site I agree with so many things that other travellers have already said about this guest house. I booked two rooms for a two night stay with my husband and my elderly in-laws to see the Edinburgh tattoo. My in-laws were given room 2 on the first floor and we had room 6 on the top floor. Comments are mainly based on room 6 ...

1 - The room was very shabby, the bed had ill fitting sheets and was not very comfortable. The depth of dust on the skirting behind the bed was unbelievable. Wires trailed dangerously from the TV mounted high on the wall and were also routed underneath the carpets - surely against hotel regulations.

2 - The bathroom was tiny, so narrow that your knees almost touched the opposite wall whilst using the toilet, and the hand basin was hardly being big enough to wash your hands in never mind get shaved. The underside of the shower control box and the shower hose were both filthy. So called "bath" towels (one per person) were small - almost hand towel size. There were no hand towels or shower floor mat in the room. There was nowhere in the bathroom to hang a toiletry bag or to stand anything ..... and I do mean anything. You would struggle to find room to put down your toothbrush down to be quite honest.

3 - The breakfast was OK.

4 - Staff appeared friendly but when we were at our breakfast on the day of checkout we were reminded that we had to check out by 10am. Bearing in mind that we were travelling with my husbands parents who are in their eighties, we asked if we could have a little more time as they wanting to finish packing, clean their teeth after breakfast etc. We were told that would not be possible as, if we were not checked out by 10am the computer might charge us for another night! This was shocking treatment in my view and the very worst customer service I have ever experienced. The time was by then 9:50am so we rushed to finish our cups of tea, get the bags out of the rooms and hand the keys before the hotel management had an excuse to charge us more money (blaming the computer of course)!

5 - The room that my in-laws were allocated had only one tiny drawer for clothes storage but two tables. My father in-law commented that it would have been possible to leave out one table and substitute a chest of drawers instead and how would anyone staying for a week manage in the room. I noticed my in-laws didn't unpack many of their clothes because of this problem.

The best thing about this guest house is that the breakfast is what you would hope for and if you want a beauty treatment the salon rooms looked quite smart. The rest is rubbish .... avoid it.

Room Tip: The best tip that I can give is - don't even consider booking into this guest house. Other hotel...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Maxine W

Reviewed 23 July 2012

I had a pleasant stay att the Thistle Guest House. Is´t nothing fancy and the room was not perfectly clean. But it works if you just want some place to sleep, take a shower and have some continental breakfast. The personel were friendly and helpful.

The area around the hotel is nice - take a walk a couple of hours arond Leith, it´s a nice part of the city. And it´s easy to go to the hotel from the city centre. Take bus no 12 or 25 from Princess street. Costs 1.40 one way, or 3.40 for a day ticket.

Note that you have to push a button outside the bathroom (before you go in!) if you want to use the shower to the rooms on the top floor.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2012

To my surprise the sheet has not been changed and there is only one bathroom/toilet for this "guest house". Under each bed there is poison against rodents and amount of old dust on the carpet (I didn't see any vacum-cleaner). One "bedroom" is so small that there is place only for the bed. Only the breakfast is normal.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank jos D
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Me and my husband decided to honeymoon in Scotland to keep the money within the UK. To finish off our honeymoon we decided to spend 2 nights in Edinburgh. My husband caught what we thought was the flu and turns out to be a chest infection. He was so ill that he couldn't eat anything by the time we reached Edinburgh. We arrived at the hotel and saw that they had left the keys on a table in the hall. We picked them up so my husband could go for a lye down. As it was 1 hour before check in we thought this wouldn't be too much problem. We were faced we a foreign girl being uncorfortable with the situation and that she would check how much we need to pay to check in 1 hour early. So we had to wait in the car before check in time. When we eventually were allowed in the room it was nice enough but the bed was terrible and the bedding did not fit the bed. The foreign girl banged on the door and asked that I come down stairs and pay (not pay on check out like normal guest houses). My husband was too ill to go down to breakfast. And spent most of the day in bed and we had to cancel our plans. On Sunday we left the B&B before 8am leaving the keys in the hall way. I reutrned to work and opened this email from the owner "Dear Sarah, I am emailing you with regards to your recent stay at the Edinburgh Thistle Guest House arrival 29 June for 2 nights. I understand your partner was unwell, and hope he is feeling better, however the room has been left in an un-habitable state. The housekeeper on entering the room to clean for arrival of new guests could not clean due to the strong smell of vomit. We could not accommodate the guests in this room and had to find them alternative accommodation. The room will be fumigated by a specialist company and we have had to take it offline costing us loss of income and extra cleaning costs. Damage to our rooms intentional or unintentional occur up to a £250 penalty. As a goodwill gesture, due to this being caused by an illness you will be charged £150 to cover part of our costs. Reservations Manager"
To which I replied I can assure you he had flu and did not vomit once - I'm absolutely shocked at the way you have treated us. If you would like to email me the invoice from the specialist cleaning company before you take the payment. On a separate note - I'd like to thank you for further ruining my Honeymoon" Honeymoon in UK Yes anywhere but this place.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed 29 June 2012

working in leith and booking.com found me 2 single rooms. 1 room ok 2 room terrible. if you get offered room 7 top floor refuse it and get a refund. shower does notwork on top floor either. overall not impressed with accomodation. stay clear of this one

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank Andrew0516
Reviewed 4 June 2012

A bad 1st impression, no one to greet me, several bells on front door, 1 broken. It's in a very run down area. I popped out to f'ind a restaurant, best on offer was Dominoes pizza take away & a kebab shop sandwiched amongst boarded up buildings.
I had to carry 3 heavy bags up 2 flights of stairs, the staff who eventually appeared had no interest in helping me. I couldn't believe I'd landed here, it looked nice on the web site.
The decor is a clash between traditional and modern with plastic flowers.
I did have a good solid nights sleep.
Unusual for a guest house it has a beauty room so I booked a treatment. I was surprised to see a newly decorated spotless room with Decleor products & well trained beauty therapists. Great treatments, friendly & professional, the staff are nice but don't seem quite geared up for the B&B side of the business. Their hearts in the right place, it's just in the wrong location and the rooms need a good refurb.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank JS4949
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I stayed in this guest house last night and it was a mixed bag. The lady who ran it was friendly and helpful when I asked to check in out-with normal hours. My single room was nicely decorated, the bed was comfortable and towel was good quality, but the room was TINY - more of a box room and when I first saw it I wasn't sure if I could stay in such a small room as I'm a bit claustrophobic (and 5ft 11!). The sloping roof meant that if you sat up in the night on the wrong side of the bed you could concuss yourself. There was no wardrobe, just a few hangers on a very small rail. The bathroom was very pleasant but I didn't realise I would be sharing it with 4 other rooms, which I don't think was mentioned when I booked it - just as well I had to get up very early! Lastly, my bedroom door had to be pulled shut very firmly which made it noisy for everyone else, and I needed all my strength to pull the bathroom door shut enough to lock it. Overall? Disappointing...

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo