“Can it get any worse???”

Edinburgh Thistle Guest House
Ranked #347 of 389 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Gloucestershire
“Can it get any worse???”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is the worst guest house I have ever stayed in. I just don't know where to start!!! Firstly the rooms are tired and unclean. Under the bed there were used tissues and shower gel bottles. the shower had barely any power which meant that other than a quick rinse down you could not wash your hair. We had paid extra for a Scottish cooked breakfast this was given as an option when booking online . However when we enquired about this in the morning we were told there was no cooked breakfast and that there had never been a cooked breakfast opion. The only option was a continental breakfast which I cant imagine anyone would touch served in a dingy room/storecupboard. Which consisted of cornflakes and mouldy bread. Hence to say we did not eat or drink a thing in the place as it is unclean. When asking for our breakfast money back we were told we couldn't. To top off our trip we were overcharged and despite the fact that there is a plaque on the wall stating that the company will not take money from your credit card and that giving card details is just a way of securing your booking. they charged my card not only for the stay but with an additional charge for extra breakfasts. Up to £60 worth of extra breakfasts. What an insult considering we had none. Getting the money back from the company is incredibly difficult as no one there takes responsibility for ownership and the name of the owner is a mystery. The only staff are those who work in an adjoining beauty salon. Who have no authority and other than an Asian girl are very rude.They refused to help us and even give us the name of the owner. All in all an appalling company and disgraceful guest house

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank alexlmarriott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Glasgow
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Anyone who has given this place a good review on here is clearly associated with this place!
My friend comes from Leith in Edinburgh and we had been invited to his Art exhibition nearby.
Seeing as it was Christmas all the main hotels in the city were costing a fortune, hence us staying here. The photos made it look very warm and nice!
Don't be fooled.
Firstly I booked with a well known third party site. Stating "pay later" which always means on check out but this place took their payment straight away! Which I'm sure is illegal! We arrived and the door was shut and locked, I had to phone to be let in! Totally ridiculous. Then on getting our room, we were overcome by the smell of febreze! Which we found out very quickly was masking the utterly putrid smell of faeces coming from the tiny en-suite bathroom. Nothing could hide the smell! It made you gag. But we were going out for the night so left rapidly. There was nothing anywhere about check-out times. So we assumed 11am as most places it's 11am even 12 noon on a Sunday. At ten the door was knocked and we were told we had to check out as it was 10am.
I told the girl. We assumed it was 11am! But "seemingly" it's in the terms and conditions.
We said ten minutes! And in 5 mins she chapped again!
I've never been in such an un-customer friendly place in my whole life. Complete and utter cowboy outfit. shady, dodgy and don't do things by the book!
Do yourself a favour and pay that bit extra! I certainly will in future.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank sirenwaits69

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Straelen, Germany
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Had a double room instead of my booked single room, so the price was more than good.. The cleanliness was - weeeell - let's say okay. I'd be terrified to have such filth at home, but as I didn't catch any diseases and even dared to walk the carpet barefoot, I can't really complain. (If you're a person who carries disinfection wipes in your handbag - better get another hotel.) Bathroom was okay, clean toilet, not-so-clean-shower, strange shower panel? Comfy bed, absolutely clean. Water kettle in the room (bring some cup-a-soup and recover from the icy scottish weather), Tesco nearby. I preferred to take my breakfast in a Starbuck's, so I can't rate the culinary aspect.

Free Wi-Fi, really friendly staff, VERY QUIET!!, nice little park over the road, good traffic connection via the bus stops. You can also walk into town via the Leith Walk, it's really not that far.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Stina1305
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Booked on Late Rooms. On Arrival no body about to book me in but key in named envelope, so ok so far so good. Great location and easy to find, free on street parking which was ok but had a to search for a while. Up to room 6, top of the converted house. This is right next to a bathroom which was modern and clean, (was noisy when used during the night)again so far so good. Enter room 6. Ensuite bathroom was about 1.5m wide by 4m long, tiny sink, toilet and shower (which was dirty). Bedroom itself was a double (just) with a modern looking bed and flat screen TV. Decor could do with up dating and repairing (curtains especially) as wall paper was hanging off the wall. Single paned windows onto a noisy road (bus route) which were also a little draughty. Overall worth the £37 I paid. 5 minute walk from Leith town centre planty of places to eat and drink. Wifi good and free.

The strange part is breakfast is not open unitl 8.30am and then nobody is about its help yourself. So I did, still no one around so left keys in the small basket at reception and left. So in conclusion, no customer service, great location and price, room a bit dated and in need of attention, ensuite is this room was obviously a late after thought. An OK stay over for 1 night but thats all.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank rocksandstuff
Pordenone, Italy
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My room measured 1.8x2.4 meters, built in a dormer window (the ceiling is high enough just in the centre). The unique piece of furniture serves as dresser, bedside and tea table. Sorry, no wardrobe here: you are supposed to hang your clothes in a corner just above the tea kettle.
Oh, you carry luggage? Well, put on the floor on the last half square meter.
Bathroom is shared and not so bad; unfortunately a broken door of the shower stall was replaced with a convenient curtain...
Breakfast is served from 8.30AM to 9.30AM (actually stuff is just drawn out of the fridge).
Neighborhood is quite, there's a huge park opposite and the bus stop for Airlink is really close.
Summarizing, this place is not a real "house" (not anymore, i suppose), i'd rather call a cheap accommodation.
My advice is to look for something else.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Flavio1976
London
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I'm not sure what standards people are used to if they're leaving positive reviews. Let me start by saying I did not expect the ritz when booking it, I know the price was quite average and all i expected was a clean empty room with no extras.

Clean is the opposite of the state of the room I had booked, there was an odd stale smell in the room. The shower had numerous hairs that I assume had been left my previous guests - why wasn't the bathroom cleaned? Calling it a bathroom is slightly ambitious as you can barely get changed in there its a tiny box of a room. Also the shower did not work at all, after enquiring about the shower I was then told to use the shared shower in the hallway which also didn't work. The temperature would constantly change, once again there were hairs everywhere as well as dead flies on the window seals and counters.

The hotel is a bit of a distance to anywhere, and the area it's in isn't amazing.
The customer service is almost non existent. I'd never stay here again. Having travelled for the previous year I can honestly say i've stayed in better hostels for a third of the price.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.