“Lost my money”

Ranked #388 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Lost my money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Was really disappointed ! I was standing outside for over an hour calling the supposedly 24 hour number. I rang the bell knocked on the windows. As it was getting late and there seemed no hope of getting in I was forced to book another hotel. Just as I had booked the front door was opened by another person staying so I tried cancelling the other booking. I was so angry I just stayed at the hotel I had to book. After a 6 hour journey standing was not what I was expecting. Bitterly disappointed and annoyed that I have ended up forking so much money out for what was supposed to be a pit stop in Edinburgh. Would never recommend this place to a soul.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank TaraV92

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Nice little place. Still got some old period features and some parts need updating but the fellow running the place was sweating buckets doing the place up. Yes the bathroom I had in the room was small but rather have than not have. Really friendly staff and helpful. Would stay again. GREAT........

Uk banff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I was dreading staying at this guest house as after booking I seen these reviews but when I got there I was greeted by a youngish fellow who informed me that it has just recently been taken over by himself so don't know what it was like before but I can't complain about anything. One thing maybe (No cooked breakfast) but a good spread on for continental and it all looked and tasted fresh. Cheap. Very clean room. A good nights kip and quite location what more do you need (it's a B&B)

2 Thank Sokratis8
Accra, Ghana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Really enjoyed my stay, good location and value for money. Friendly staff TV and clean room with great access to the city with local busses which are cheap and reliable. Not sure what else to say, not sure why trip adviser forces you to use 200 letters to waffle on when you can say what you need to in 50. Pointless waste of time and words.

Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed in this guest house with out 2 young children.. The bed were clean and tidy, also comfortable. Room was big enough for us. The bathroom was pretty small and decoration was quite untidy, the shower was a tad dirty. The big thing that annoyed me most was there was heaters. but they weren't hot the room was freezing! Couldn't even do the toilet without being Baltic. However overall I was quite happy with our stay and would probably stay again considering they out the heating on.

• Stayed March 2014
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I was planning to stay overnight in or near Leith and opted for this guest house, despite many dreadful reviews. I don't believe everything I read in the papers - or online - so, as I only required a bed for the night (I could always sleep on top with my clothes on) I booked in fear and trembling. Come on, at only £22 plus a breakfast fiver I didn't expect the Presidential Suite at the Ritz!

A good 5-star start as Sadie the receptionist (described elsewhere as 'the Asian girl') welcomed me with a big smile and friendly chat. The high-ceiling single room was a delight - far larger than I'd expected, with wash-hand basin, a roomy pine wardrobe (enough for two people), matching bedside cabinet with 3 drawers and a decent desk also with 3 drawers. The firm bed was comfortable and boasted a further 2 roomy drawers, ideal for stashing the loot of any shoplifting visitor to Leith. (This is not a suggestion!!)

Determined to find fault, I adopted the Alex Polizzi approach (Channel 5's 'Hotel Inspector'). Clean sheet with not a hair in sight, no dust, bedside bulb had been nicked but promptly replaced on request, communal toilet/shower room (shared with 2 other singles) sparkling and fresh.... come on, I HAD to find something to complain about. Well, the dangling TV cables looked a mess - they could have been embedded within the plaster before the last redecoration, or concealed in narrow plastic ducting which costs pennies and can be fitted in minutes. Danger Zone in room 1... having a 240-volt cable rubbing against a hot metal radiator is not exactly a great idea!

The rather tired Visitors' folder is full of very useful information but difficult to follow. It is very badly laid out, with weird punctuation and superfluous brackets flying all over the place. One page has the header, in large bold type, "Untitled". What on earth does that mean? I offered, in a spirit of helpfulness, to reset it for them at no cost and with no strings attached. This offer was passed to the owner but, despite a reminder, not accepted. So, for this reason alone, I have knocked one star off what would have been 'a full house' as the owner is obviously happy to continue inflicting this juvenile garbage on her unsuspecting visitors.

On the whole, though, I would not hesitate to stay at Edinburgh Thistle in future, although the £22 price has almost doubled, probably due to the busier season. Other critics may well have had problems, but I would suggest anyone booking ANYWHERE should read the terms and conditions properly. For example, if it clearly states that only a continental breakfast is on offer (as on the Thistle website) then only an idiot would expect ham'n'eggs!

Incidentally, I have no connection whatsoever with Edinburgh Thistle, its owner or staff. I enjoyed my weekend in Leith and Edinburgh, and on returning home phoned my son to tell him it had been difficult to find fault with the guest house. His immediate response, "That's not like you!"

Room Tip: Ask for the first floor, not the attic! This could be where problems arise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Filthy, revolting, depressing & the worst customer service ever, it made the streets of Leith look appealing, my bedroom was freezing cold, the radiator did not work!!! , no toilet roll in the most unhygenic of communal bathrooms. I was charged for a non existent breakfast, The owner was no where to be seen, the young rude girl on reception managed to take the stay to another level with her slack attitude & lack of empathy for all the problems we had incurred during our stay. My bedroom had dirty toilet roll & other reminents of people's stay under my bed which is which is ironic as there was no toilet roll to be found in the toilets, whatever you do under any circumstances do not stay here, as I would hate for anyone to experience the same!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank laura m

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels