“A simple, wonderful place to stay on a budget”

Braveheart City Centre Guest House Edinburgh
Ranked #327 of 395 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Braveheart Guest House is by no means a 4 star hotel... it is very much a house, and an old one at that. HOWEVER, it is perfectly comfortable, good breakfast, warm employees and a great location for walking around Edinburgh. I can't say enough about how friendly and accomodating the employees were; they really wanted you to be comfortable, well fed and able to enjoy the city that they all appear to love so much. I had a single room with the toilet down the hall, and I found it to be a very comfortable stay. I would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed here for two nights I firstly have to say that the place could with a little updating its a bit dark and gloomy in places. We came as a couple and were given a large family with two double beds and two single beds, there was a large dirty rug on the floor and a crack in the sink. The staff were pleasent though as i had booked with bookings.com and they had informed me that checkout was 12 and not 2 we were made to wait over half an hour for our room. The breakfast was really nice and it was nice to fianally see the owner as he wasnt around much though I think that it was rather unhygenic to have their cat in the room!! The only other issue we had was with out tv we couldnt get it tuned in it wasnt till the morning that we were leaving that I was looking for a lost glove we realised that the ariel wasn't plugged in,We camethe beginning of April in the bad snow so on our 2nd night we also got a dvd out and that wasnt working either. Would not recommend this place or go back again :-((

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claire L
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Arrived by train to be shown to a room with three single beds ( we had booked a double)
As this was unsuitable we were given a family room with two small doubles and two singles and a view of the lovely building opposite.The room had high ceilings and lots of period features.The sheets were fresh and we were comfortable ( we were even given an extra heater as the radiators were off) Staff were very friendly
It was a budget option and we were served a budget breakfast..The place is grubby ( clean freaks beware) The area is interesting.We went to an art house cinema nearby and had a good curry at a restaurant in the same road.Buses are frequent and a £3.20 day ticket gets you unlimited travel on most routes.We saw the pandas in the zoo ( fabulous!)
Went to Tom Kitchins restaurant in Leith for lunch .A real treat and loved the area.The castle the Royal Mile Prices St etc etc
Braveheart gives you value for money and is very central but I think next time I would pay just a little bit more.

Room Tip: Check you get what you booked
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuzieGibbs
Reviewed 12 January 2012

My first time to visit Edinburgh for 4 nights stay and it was a blast. Thanks to Braveheart's fantastic location! Walking distance to city centre and Edinburgh Castle! Made it easy for me and my friends to explore the city.
Hats off as well to the wonderful staff who were very accommodating to our requests.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Its best feature has to be location, just behind Edinburgh's Castle, you can walk to the city centre, as well as use different buses to move around. The breakfast was perfect to start your day and rooms were clean, just a place to spend the night after a long day walking all around the city!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarianaDV
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I had a great stay! The location is perfect- we could walk to city centre.
I left my camera there and Talo mailed it back to Canada for me! What lovely hosts. I would recommend this place to anyone is visiting Edinburgh. You will be well taken care of :)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank erin j
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This guesthouse was well suited for our needs during our Edinburgh visit as it is very conveniently situated close to the city centre and attractions. Although clean, the decorations were somewhat tacky and the bathrooms require a professional finish. Breakfasts were small but adequate. Some members of staff were really friendly and helpful, however, others came accross quite rude and abrupt, especially during breakfast service. Despite the minor negatives, we would probably stay there again as it was good value for money considering the excellent location of the guesthouse.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family