“Lovely B&B with wonderful staff”
Review of Adria House

Adria House
Ranked #9 of 395 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Adria House is a fantastic B&B. The rooms are large, clean and is only 10 minute walk from Princes Street. Eddie and Maria are friendly, hardworking and make you feel that nothing is too much trouble. We arrived too early too check into our room but were able to leave our cases and were asked if we wanted to rest in the guest lounge. This is my second stay and I will continue to stay there whenever I visit Edinburgh. Everything is perfect and there is nothing anyone could find to fault in this establishment! The location means you don't have to endure the hen and stag do's carousing up princes street and there are loads of pubs and restaurants within a 2 minute walk. Handy for the train station and all central activities.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MJRn

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Absolutely beautifully kept Georgian home. Exceptionally clean and comfortable, wonderful made to order breakfast, great value and not the slightest thing to complain about. Eddie and Maria were wonderful and welcoming hosts. Knowing nothing about Edinburgh or the tours of the Highlands, Eddie recommended touring companies, described the various tours, and explained the layout of the city and even the public bus system. This was very helpful as we went to Roslyn Chapel just outside of the city. We stayed three night and four days. I must mention the fourth day since after checking out, they held our luggage for us and upon returning to retrieve the luggage had some refreshments for us in the late afternoon before we caught our train back to England. We cannot thank Eddie and Maria and staff enough for a wonderful stay. They are wonderful to talk with, so welcoming, helpful and kind. We would not have seen half of what we saw had it not been for their helpfulness. When we return someday to Edinburgh, we will certainly stay at Adria House again.
Now if anyone disliked the cobblestones and hills near the House, then they should not be in Edinburgh. Everywhere we walked was cobblestone and hills. Edinburgh is such a wonderful city, it is well the worth the walking and hills. Do not miss Colton Hill right behind the House; its a steep walk but the views are incredible. Only Arthur's seat would have been better. Great exercise after eating such a wonderful breakfast! Eddie and Maria, thanks so much again for your hospitality.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor facing the street. Large room with large sitting area. Still very quiet...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve_Ship
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My husband and I stayed at Adria House for four nights for our 5th wedding anniversary. We are SO thankful that we chose Adria House for many reasons, but especially because of an unfortunate event that occurred. I sprained my ankle (don't wear heels on cobblestones!) and Eddie and Maria did everything in their power to make me as comfortable as possible! They brought ice, called around to get a discounted rate on rented crutches, recommended pharmacies where I could get a brace, called for cabs, returned the rented crutches to the store for us, etc. etc. etc. Their kind, sympathetic treatment made me feel like I was staying with a family member or friend. When the injury first occurred, my husband and I considered ending our vacation early and flying back to the States. Thanks to Eddie and Maria, not only was I comfortable, but my husband and I were able to enjoy our last 2 days in Europe. I felt like I was a high maintenance guest, but if Eddie and Maria minded, they didn't show it at all. They seem to have a 6th sense and always appeared in the lobby when we needed them. We had to be out and about early our last two mornings, and each day they packed us a wonderful breakfast to go that we simply picked up on our way out the door. Breakfast was delicious. The house is GORGEOUS and the gardens out back are breathtaking. Our room was beautiful, clean, and spacious with a fantastic view of the gardens. The location of this B&B was ideal, even with a sprained ankle! Despite my injury, it was a perfect vacation and I thoroughly thank Eddie and Maria for their kind hospitality. We would go back in a heartbeat. Don't look anywhere else in Edinburgh - stay here!!!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly C
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Awesome place, do not hesitate to book here. Nice rooms, nice people who run it. Great value. Little bit out of the centre (well not really, but up some hills) but it is well worth it (esp as its a nice walk through the park to get there). This will be my choice of place to stay for future trips to Edinburgh. Well done to the hosts.

Room Tip: No issue with my room on the first floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank HeadAcheOnASunday
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed at Adria House for a total of three nights, the last of which was not consecutive (and when we returned, it was like coming home!). We arrived quite early -- hours before check-in -- and were invited to leave our luggage and freshen up. The proprietors are hugely welcoming, kind, helpful, accommodating (helped us navigate the city, prepared a breakfast for us to pick up when we had to depart at 4:00am, and so forth). And they were absolutely delightful to talk to. Great selections for breakfast. Sizable room with sitting area and desk. Absolutely beautiful home, perfectly maintained. Adria House was, to us, such a perfect balance between grand elegance and home-like hospitality. When – not if – we find ourselves in Edinburgh again, we cannot wait to stay at Adria House. Great location for exploration of Edinburgh – the Royal Mile, Calton Hill (a block away), Arthur’s Seat … all easy walks (and wonderful excursions). Super restaurants/pubs within a stone’s throw. We offer Adria House our very highest recommendation.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank M J
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Stayed at Adria House with our Russian friends for 3 nights. The décor of the guest house was beautiful and everything was immaculate. We were very pleased with our rooms and the breakfast was excellent. Eddie and Maria made us very welcome and we would not hesitate to stay there again. The location is very convenient to Princes Street and also to fine restaurants and shopping in the New Town.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue T
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Adria House was a perfect start to our family's visit to Scotland. After an overnight flight, we arrived at Adria House to drop our luggage before setting off to explore Edinburgh. Maria graciously offered a rest in the lounge, and a tray of tea and biscuits soon followed. Exactly what was needed after a night of travel. The room itself was spacious and immaculate. Being close to Calton Hill allowed for a short walk to watch the sun set over the city. Walkable distance to all attractions, including Holyroodhouse. Learned a bit about Georgian architecture from Edward during breakfast; obviously a great sense of pride and love for their beautiful B & B. If we are ever able to visit Edinburgh again, Adria House will be our first choice for lodging!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family