“So in love with this place.”
Review of Adria House

Adria House
Ranked #10 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Philadelphia
“So in love with this place.”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

If I could make this my permanent residence in Edinburgh, I would. My en-suite garden view room was wonderful. The hot water did take a few minutes to reach my shower, just as the sign on the wall noted it would. Adria House is a healthy walking distance from all of the main attractions in town and a very easy walk down to the New Town area. Breakfast every morning was phenomenal. I can't wait to return - I'll plan my trips around availability here.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank kirbymcs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed at Adria House for two nights about 2 weeks ago, and it was more than we'd hoped for! Our room was HUGE, with big windows, beautiful furniture, overlooking the Georgian garden and with a fireplace. I loved that room! Everything was very very clean, the hosts Edward and Maria were fantastic - very helpful and very nice and welcoming. We truly felt relaxed. The breakfast was also very good and served in a beautiful room downstairs. First day we had full breakfast which was lovely, they also have juices, tea, coffee, yougurt, fruit and more..the second day I had porridge as wasn't feeling too well and it definitely helped me with my hike up to Arthur's Seat! The location was also great, right on Royal Terrace, about 15 mins walk from the main bit, and you can go through lots of parks to get there..and fairly close to get to Arthur's Seat too.
If I ever go to Edinburgh again, definititely staying only here as why would I want a scrawny hotel room for triple the price when I can have a beautiful Georgian room with amazing hosts, location, and everything else? Highly recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: get the room overlooking the garden...it was superb, it was ensuite.
3 Thank Anna R
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Just returned from two nights in Edinburgh visiting my son at university. I chose Adria House because of the wonderful reviews and also because it was only a few minutes walk from my son's flat. My room was spotless, very comfortable and warm. Very friendly and helpful hosts. It was a great location for Waverley station, Royal Mile and Princes Street. Also the Edinburgh Playhouse is five minutes walk away.I must also mention that John Lewis is also five minutes away! Will definitely return to Adria House. Anyone wanting to see the Mary Queen of Scots exhibition at the National Museum of Scotland, as well as The Lion King at the Playhouse, then stay at Adria House, as they are both within easy reach. Not sure when they both finish though, so hurry!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jane B
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Wonderful! Edward and Maria are excellent hosts. We stayed for three very comfortable nights followed by three delicious breakfasts! Our room was cozy and had a beautiful view of the gardens. Staying at the Adria was a real treat and we're already planning our next visit to Edinburgh already!

1 Thank ARammMOT
Montreal
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My girlfriend and I had decided at the last moment to do a weekend trip to Edinburgh. As we had decided to take the train rather than drive or fly we wanted to find a place that was comfortable and close to the city center. After reviewing several options, we decided upon the Adria House as it met our criteria. We arrived in Edinburgh late Friday afternoon and after a short walk from the centrally located Edinburgh Waverly train station (about 12minutes) we arrived at Royal Terrace. Adria House is found on this cobblestone street and is a Georgian era building opposite a park.

Entering the building we came into a large vestibule which led us to the wonderfully decorated reception area. We hardly had a chance to admire the decor and the long stair case leading to the rooms when Edward appeared to greet us. He was a most kind and welcoming person, who had us checked in quickly. After a a brief chat and a tour of the ground floor facilities he took us the staircase to our bedroom on the 1st level. In a word the room was huge (we had been given the family room facing the street) what with 3 beds, a large sitting area, two large floor to ceiling windows (about 12ft). Our host asked us if we needed anything and wished us an excellent stay.

We spend the 1st evening exploring some of the sights including Calton Hill, Princes street and such. After and excellent nights rest we arose to get our day started early and we came down to breakfast to be greeted by Maria. She asked how we slept and promptly offered us juice and enquired as to what we wanted for breakfast. The selection for breakfast was excellent and we had no issues getting started for a long day exploring on the breakfast that was offered.

Adria house is centrally located, so during our 3 night stay we were able to easily visit all the main sights such as Edingurgh Castle, Hollyrood, Arthurs Seat, Princes street which were all within easy walking distance. Some of the other sights such as HMY Britannia were but a short bus ride from Adria House.

Coming back each evening we were greeted and asked how our day was. As well when we enquired as to things to do and such both Maria and Edward were most helpful. We know some voiced concern about the cobblestome lined street, but the noise was not at all intrusive especially when the shutters were used (and I am a light sleeper).

Adria House is an excellent choice since it delivers on all aspects including location, room comfort and cleanliness, service, kindness of our hosts, food, price. We both agreed that should we be fortunate to return to Edinburgh we would book at the Adria House. Our visit was made all the better by this friendly little guest house and its hosts.

5 Thank Dan M
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Edward and Maria are just wonderful. We had an excellent experience right from the first time I emailed them. They are gracious and accommodating and kind. Our arrival the first night was late and they made it seem to be no problem at all. Then we came and went on various outings of several days, and they even kept our luggage for three days while we went in a small van to the Isle of Sky. The rooms were large and lovely. We were in three different ones, all very quiet facing the back. I wondered at the five blankets on the beds, but came to appreciate that as you could adjust just how warm you wanted your bedding by removing some. I found that everywhere else we stayed they would just have one big heavy duvet that gave no options. The bathrooms were a bit small (of course - they have been fitted into a Georgian house), but very well appointed and very clean with lots of hot water and good ventilation fans. As the ceilings are so high, there are a lot of stairs to climb, but Maria and Edward are helpful with your luggage. Breakfast is served in a lovely dining room with a flexible menu, lots of choice, and everything freshly cooked. Location was a good balance between closeness to attractions and quiet for sleeping. After pricing hotels in Edinburgh, I found this B&B to be an excellent value, and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MillicentMayflower
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Almost everything was great about the Adria House, from the building, to the rooms, the breakfast, the grounds and location. My only minor issue was with my particular room, as I didn't sleep as well as I had on previous nights. I still give it 5 stars because no one else in my party had complaints about the other 2 rooms we were given. Service was excellent at check in, check out and for breakfast. Would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone, but consider asking for a room that doesn't face the road, preferably one with an en suite bathroom if available. Thanks to Maria and Edward for a pleasant stay at a great B&B!

Room Tip: Room 1 was not my preference as it faces the road. The cobblestone roads are lovely, but make any pa...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends