Ritz Edinburgh
  • Room Service
US$144
US$134
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$286
US$276
  • Bar/Lounge
The Scotsman Hotel(Edinburgh)
US$193
US$148
  • Room Service
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$159
US$142
Agoda.com
Cairn Hotel Edinburgh(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$80
  • Bar/Lounge
Malmaison Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$116
Hotels.com
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$135
US$126
US$115
US$107
Hotels.com
All reviewshaymarket stationcontinental breakfastplenty of storage spacecommon areasjust round the corneran ironstayed here for three nightstea and coffee facilitiescity centrefirst floorlong weekendprinces streettramshampoohogmanay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed here with me and my partner for his 30th birthday. After reading the reviews I was almost having palpitations about staying here and was worried it would be horrendous. It wasn't and I was actually surprised it wasn't as bad I feared.

The positives are the location. You are in easy access of everything. There are roadworks at the moment due to a tram line being built but that in no way affected accessibility. The hotel is also off a side street so very quiet. The hotel was clean, the bed linen was fresh and the bed was extremely comfortable. Our room was large and spacious. The staff were polite and friendly at all times with a 24 hour reception. It was ideal for what I needed as in reality I spent very little time there as there is so much to do in Edinburgh.

The negatives are that the hotel is very tired and in need of refurbishment. When you walk in you are not sure if you've walked into an old peoples home or a hotel! It has a musty smell that they try to cover by lighting a scented candle. It doesn't work. There is a lack of attention to detail for example the hinge on our wardrobe was broken so the door did not close properly and the plug in the bathroom sink was broken and so left on the sink rather than fixing it. These things would have been easy to fix and would give a better impression. The bar never had one person in it and the hotel would be far better served using that room as a dining room and doing breakfast but that's just my opinion.

If you are looking for a cheap place to stay that's clean, comfortable and in easy reach of amenities and are just wanting a place to rest your head at night this place is absolutely fine. Would I return? No, as I would like to stay somewhere nicer next time but it served a purpose and I can assure you I have stayed in far worse places!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hollie K
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Our room was on the 3rd floor without lifts. I did know this when I booked, so not a surprise. The bath tub had mold in corners. All furnishings dated/tired. If your a single guy that is looking to save some money this could work if you are not bothered by how cheap this place is maintained/updated. There is smell in the hallway next to my room that was unpleasant, think this is from the new carpet that was installed on top of the old carpet. Gross. Location is not that great as other reviewer have stated versus main attractions. Hard to get here due to construction and very hard to find parking. Desk help was nice and friendly, I would not blame staff for the mold in the shower as it is hard to clean pitted, chipped, cracked fixtures.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed here with my mother and we think it was ok.
We did our research before going to the hotel so we knew it is old, not a real ritz, without a lift and breakfast. But for 50 pounds per night in a double ensuite room it was good!
When we arrived we got a room with a bad water presure but the next day they changed it for us. The room is clean, big, the bathroom too. And they had good coffee and tea facilities.
The beds were nice though as somebody said a little bit bouncy- but clean and with comfy pillows.
But seriously, for 50 pounds per night I couldn't expect for more and happy it wasn't that bad as some people experienced.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I booked this hotel mainly because from the pictures I thought it was a charming hotel but i was fooled by it. The decoration of the hotel was nice, but i wished they spend that time and effort in the hotel rooms.

Once you stepped into the hotel room its a nightmare! It looks like it comes from something in the 80s or even later and everything was awful, old and dirty. Let me list down the things wrong here:

Room: Every part of the room floor was carpeted including the bathroom which is really odd considering it will be wet in there, so imagine the mould and bacteria in the carpet?

Door/Security: The door lock is a joke! I understand its an old hotel and not everything is working fine but the door is security to your room and it seems someone scrap a hole and fix a door lock in inexpertly and there was a masking tape on the door that say "Please use botton lock only". The worst thing was the next morning I just came out of shower, the door was open by the hotel staff, no knocking whatsoever! Lucky my partner was there and he ask the staff to get out immediately. I was really horrify by this accident cos what if I was alone or what if I were staying there with a group of girlfriends! It is really not safe at all!

Decor: There are 6 wall socket and only 2 of them works. The kettle also doesn't which led to a fiasco with the hotel staff later which I will come to it shortly. The bedside cabinet top actually comes off easily and the heater works but doesn't heat up the room either so we were left sleeping in a freezing room! Everything just is so old and dreary...after a long day of traveling that's the last thing you want to see.

Cleanliness: Oh boy where do I start. I mean its not the dirtiest hotel in the world but it the worst I have been in. The most HORRIFYING part was there was a GIANT SPIDER crawling on the floor! It was huge! Lucky my partner quickly stepped on it to kill it and it left me quite traumatized after that cos I was thinking what else is there! I didnt dare to step on the floor anymore for quite a while when I was alone cos my partner went down to sort out kettle problem with the hotel staff. I put on my bedroom slipper everytime I need to walk around the room.

Hotel staff: The first staff greeted us when we checked in was very friendly and we were left quite pleased. However after we discover the kettle and only 2 wall socket was working, my partner went down to check out with the hotel staff only to have him storming back 20 mins later. The friendly staff was not there anymore and was replaced with a night porter who claims to be the manager, his name is Enrique so i doubt he was local. He was rude and obnoxious and didn't care about hearing what the guest has to say, interrupted everything my partner has to say. The staff said what do we expect from a room thats 45 pounds a night when my partner complained about the room! Later on he came up to our room with a new kettle and my partner told him that it was unacceptable his behavior towards a guest and again he showed his attitude towards him and by then I was just too tired of this hotel anymore. Either we bear it and stay on since we are just here for a night or go out in the rain and find another, we decided to just sleep for that few hours and leave early.

The next day we checked our the owner, Chris did gave us a discount for the hotel stay but it was all too late. The hotel left me with a bad impression and i never ever go back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This is probably one of the funniest hotels i've ever stayed in because it really was that bad you had to laugh.
There are a few good points about this hotel; the staff are quite friendly and the location is good, near to the station, bus routes and centre of town. However, the hotel itself needs major refurbishment, the plumbing is completely inadequate to meet needs, our room looked like something from a 1980's student flat, the electrical appliances were dangerous, the beds hilariously bouncy and the whole hotel looked like something out of a demilitarised zone.

There is also no lift, so if you are on the top floor and have bags, you will be in trouble. This place is quite cheap given the location but i would only stay here if there is literally no where else available....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple