“good hotel shame about the bed”
Review of Ritz Edinburgh

Ritz Edinburgh
Ranked #147 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The hotel would have been great in its day but definitely due a renovation now. The room was a very good size yet furnishings were outdated, the bed looked good and was very big yet you could feel the springs through it. Again just needing renewed. The only thing that couldn't be fixed with a quick replacement is that even though I am not a light sleeper anytime anyone wasnnear the room you could hear everything they were saying as the walls are waffer thin. Which was only a problem as we were on the ground floor and at the bottom of the stairs. As for the staff they were great very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Stayed here for a weekend with friends. We had three rooms, two of which were up in the gods. 70 stairs which was quite a trek. The rooms are very tired but the sheets and towels were spotless. Staff were friendly and helpful. However we only paid 53 each for 2 nights so was good value. Handy for buses or trains. Would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors are better. Stairs are a struggle.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel is beautifully decorated, outdated, but in my opinion very tasteful and attractive.
I loved our room, spacious, clean and it was incredibly comfortable. We were a little nervous due to the reviews on here, but all the complaints about mould and dirt were entirely unfounded, it was as clean as it could be and we had far more room than we needed.
The staff were kind, friendly and helpful, lovely enough to store our bags before check-in and after check-out, and I loved the little touches such as the shampoos in the bathroom. And I was very impressed with the art-deco kettle, very kitsch!
I was pleasantly surprised with how close it was to the centre of town! We didn't bother with the trains as it was a lovely, straight road to town.
We visited for our anniversary and had a wonderful time, I couldn't be happier with my choice of hotel and would absolutely love to visit again.
The hotel is wasted on people who are as picky as most of these reviewers, I have nothing to fault the hotel at all! A four poster bed, beautiful surroundings, close to town and friendly staff... What more do people want?!

Room Tip: Definitely go for the four poster room!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This hotel has taken the public's love of period features as licence to neither repair nor renew. The result is a cramped, run down boarding house featuring broken down relics of the 1970s. It is not the boutique hotel it purports to be on its website, a facade maintained by artistic photographs and airbrushing that would give pause to your average glamour magazine.

As you may have guessed my partner and I did not enjoy the experience and walked it after only nine hours (we had booked two nights), the following specific issues arose beyond the general decay pervading the premises:

Lock broken (we had to deadlock the door at night)
Bed frame broken
Bedside lamp not working (even after I changed the bulb)
Kettle not working
Dirty marks (query blood) on the carpet
Used tissues in the bedside draw

I requested another room which was provided. However this also had a broken light and was in a equal state of disrepair.

We felt thoroughly misled by the website and would urge anyone booking this travesty to go in with their eyes open. You will be booking into a rundown boarding house, albeit close to Haymarket station.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Basic but what we expected no frills decent bar lots of stairs but would use again... close to a train station and about a 20 minute walk from the main station. reception open 24 hours and we stayed in bar until 3am !!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2013

A pleasant stay in a quirky hotel with lots of character. Hot shower and decent free shampoo. I enjoyed the bar and the staff were friendly. Room was cozy and warm with a good TV. It was enjoyable drinking bubbly in the four poster! I recommend to all.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed here with me and my partner for his 30th birthday. After reading the reviews I was almost having palpitations about staying here and was worried it would be horrendous. It wasn't and I was actually surprised it wasn't as bad I feared.

The positives are the location. You are in easy access of everything. There are roadworks at the moment due to a tram line being built but that in no way affected accessibility. The hotel is also off a side street so very quiet. The hotel was clean, the bed linen was fresh and the bed was extremely comfortable. Our room was large and spacious. The staff were polite and friendly at all times with a 24 hour reception. It was ideal for what I needed as in reality I spent very little time there as there is so much to do in Edinburgh.

The negatives are that the hotel is very tired and in need of refurbishment. When you walk in you are not sure if you've walked into an old peoples home or a hotel! It has a musty smell that they try to cover by lighting a scented candle. It doesn't work. There is a lack of attention to detail for example the hinge on our wardrobe was broken so the door did not close properly and the plug in the bathroom sink was broken and so left on the sink rather than fixing it. These things would have been easy to fix and would give a better impression. The bar never had one person in it and the hotel would be far better served using that room as a dining room and doing breakfast but that's just my opinion.

If you are looking for a cheap place to stay that's clean, comfortable and in easy reach of amenities and are just wanting a place to rest your head at night this place is absolutely fine. Would I return? No, as I would like to stay somewhere nicer next time but it served a purpose and I can assure you I have stayed in far worse places!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple